Other Abby has a UTI

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I rushed her down to the ER on Sunday. She was laying in her bed moaning and crying, she wouldn't get up, wouldn't eat and she was shivering. Blood tests showed her kidney values spiked and urinalysis showed an infection. I knew something wasn't quite right with her on Saturday night. She just looked "wrong". The ER wanted to keep her for IV antibiotics but she wasn't having any part of it. Since stress can also make her numbers rise, they let me take her home. She's on 2 antibiotics. One oral and one that I have to inject into her subQ line at night. They also gave her tramadol for pain.

This can be pretty serious for her. Any infection throws her numbers up, the higher her numbers the more damage gets done to her kidneys. She gets cranberry pills twice a day, I keep her bits as clean as possible. Is there any other way to prevent another infection? Something I'm not doing? Is there even a way to prevent this from happening again or am I spinning my wheels for nothing?

L

Lucy-licious

Poor kidney function does make her susceptible to UTI's...is she getting enough fluids still..best way to avoid UTI's in people is to ensure there is plenty of fluid intake xx

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Oh my bev I'm sorry to read this. I don't have any advice just lots of prayers n hugs. I hope she gets better n this is just a one time thing.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I'm sure that you have done everything you can for sweet Abby and know of all supplements that would be of any use.
Here's what I know could help
cranberry
parsley
Blueberry
Billberry
Uva-Ursi
Vitamin C
Plenty of purified water
Walks outside

I hope she get better soon, hugs!

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
I don't have any experience with UTI's but just wanted to wish Abby the best and hope she gets better

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Poor kidney function does make her susceptible to UTI's...is she getting enough fluids still..best way to avoid UTI's in people is to ensure there is plenty of fluid intake xx

She gets 300ml of subQ fluids a day, plus all the water and juice that she can drink.

I'm sure that you have done everything you can for sweet Abby and know of all supplements that would be of any use.
Here's what I know could help
cranberry
parsley
Blueberry
Billberry
Uva-Ursi
Vitamin C
Plenty of purified water
Walks outside

I hope she get better soon, hugs!

She is already getting the cranberry pills plus juice when I have it, she gets vitamin C twice a day too (it's part of her regular supplement routine). The problem with parsley is that it is also a diuretic so as many health benefits as it has, we have to avoid it. I've never heard of this billberry or uva-ursi. I'm going to look into those.

Thanks for the prayers! She needs them!

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Wishing all the best for Abby! I'm glad she was persistent enough to be able to come home! Who wants to stay at the hospital? Good girl, Abby! LOL

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Can she take probiotics? Stig took those when he had a uti. The only other thing I can think of is fluid intake. Poor abs.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.