Help Needed! Grade 5 heart murmur in a 16 week old baby

Quesenberry96

Sep 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoe/Hank
I just rescued (last night) a little boy that has a grade 5 murmur and is symptomatic. Vet appointment is not until tomorrow and I really would like to know if there is anything I can do to ease some of the symptoms until then. I am very scared that it is going to be something that cannot be corrected. He was in a very bad place, scared to death, unsocialized and hunkers down. He has warmed up to a kind gentle hand and soft words in just the short amount of time. He is so sweet and deserves a long happy life! Unfortunatly the pet insurance I have for my other bulldog (deaf and allergic to everything) does not cover congenital issues. Does anyone know an organization that could help with the cost if surgery could save him?

Thank you for any information,
Kristie

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
Oh wow... Im no help here.. but wanted to just say bless you for adopting him...
Hope someone chimes in with info for ya....

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
A grade 5 murmur is not a good prognosis. I do not know a whole lot about murmurs but I do know that is not good. :( I am sorry. I will go find Kim and have her come and help she knows so much more than I do....

[MENTION=2152]kim n the guys[/MENTION]

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
I'm here. When you say symptomatic, what symptoms are you talking about specifically? As for helping with the cost of the surgery which if it can be done and with a grade 5, I'm sorry to say more than likely not feasible, there is always Care Credit you can apply for. Also if you have a teaching hospital (university) near you, sometimes they have programs to help with the costs of things and their prices are usually lower than a standard vet because the students do a lot of the procedures with supervision from a vet.

I have two with grade 3 murmurs and they couldn't have surgeries to repair their stenosis. In the meantime they are on Atenelol 25 mg twice a day to help the blood flow their hearts better. I live 10 minutes away from Michigan State University so my cardiac babies go there for treatment on their heart, but to my regular vet for everything else. Mine are also asymptomatic at the moment and have no other health problems. Sebastian will be two in December and except for his small stature, you would never know that he had a heart condition. He weighs about 41 pounds and is a little bigger than what a full grown frenchie probably is. Remy will be turning 1 next month and there is no way you could know there is anything wrong with him. He's very tall and weighs about 62 pounds.

What you need to watch for is keeping your babies weight down and feeding him lots of heart healthy foods such as salmon, black or kidney beans, tuna, brown rice, blueberries, carrots, spinach, broccoli, sweet potatoes, red bell peppers, and cantaloupe. My boys love all these foods and are given them as treats or as extra in their food.

I'm hoping for some positive news from you when you get back from the vets. Please let me know.

OP
Quesenberry96

Quesenberry96

Sep 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoe/Hank
Thank you for the info. I am a cardiac nurse and can tell you all you would like to know about human murmur and congestive heart failure treaments for humans. I am just unsure about the k-9 world. I have found information that leads me to believe that the medications run parallel for both humans and dogs. He has a rapid heart rate and continuous panting. He coughs with exertion but does not become cyanotic. I believe he has some fluid retention as well with a bit of belly distention. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the vet can give me any glimmer of hope for him. Even after the echo today if surgery is not an option I am hoping that medication can give him a good quality of life however long that may be. I will do all I can to avoid putting him down as long as he is not in any distress, pain or suffering.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh bless you for taking in this pup and for giving him a good life however long that maybe. :D

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Just wanted to say bless you for taking this boy in and showing him some love and care he so deserves, please keep us posted on his progress.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
You have a kind heart. I'm glad you two found each other. Please let us know if you need anything.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Thank you for the info. I am a cardiac nurse and can tell you all you would like to know about human murmur and congestive heart failure treaments for humans. I am just unsure about the k-9 world. I have found information that leads me to believe that the medications run parallel for both humans and dogs. He has a rapid heart rate and continuous panting. He coughs with exertion but does not become cyanotic. I believe he has some fluid retention as well with a bit of belly distention. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the vet can give me any glimmer of hope for him. Even after the echo today if surgery is not an option I am hoping that medication can give him a good quality of life however long that may be. I will do all I can to avoid putting him down as long as he is not in any distress, pain or suffering.

The atenelol that my boys are on is for humans as well. I've been told to watch for signs of fatigue, coughing, and belly distention (means fluid is backing up from the pulmonary artery) which as a cardiac nurse you already know. Like I said, mine are asymptomatic at this point. Keeping fingers crossed that your new little guy will be able to enjoy life for as long as possible. That is the same attitude I have about mine. They are happy little puppies right now and I want them to stay that way for as long as possible.

Please continue to keep me posted on your baby!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.