Help Needed! Whitish gunk in ear

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Is this yeast? I thought I knew what yeast was and smelled like, but I'm not sure what this could be. Its a whitish creamy color with NOT a strong odor. The smell is very faint. Bruin isn't really itching his ears, he's just shaking his head here and there. I use Zymox when his ears seem to itch or bother him, but yesterday I saw the Malaket wipes in their closet and thought 'oh what the heck I'll give it a whirl' Could the malaket have anything to do with it, b/c last night is when this white stuff started. Did the malaket make whatever it is worse or is it helping it work its way out? His ears are 'clean' other wise.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
white.... hhmm?? not sure.... [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION]

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
im not sure what a white discharge is but maybe infection. the malaket wipes i would not think would cause anything but should help clear yeast or bacteria up. if he continues to have this discharge or is his symptoms get worse i would take him to the vet. dogs should not have stuff coming out of their ears but maybe someone else will come along with more experience.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I'm not sure on that one either, as [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] said if you see it again maybe a trip to the vet is in order.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Sounds odd....I would go have the vet take a look. Malaket *should* be ok to use and would normally help clear up anything that is going on.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Usually the white or creamy yellow discharge is foul smelling, it is an infection of inner ear and the vet should give you something for this . If it goes on too long the drum can break and imbalance will take place. I would say, call the vet

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Great advice above.... I have found whitish yellow gunk in nose ropes (Oh yeah... thought they were clean but when it is that color it is sneaky!!!) and use cleanser and panalog, and once I clean it out the skin is awfully pink and sore looking. It is almost like the 'goo' was hiding the sore skin because it looks like normal fur until you put the cotton in there and come out with yellow green or whitish stuff. Sometimes even GREY! Ewwwwww..... Now I know to watch for the sneaky bacteria/fungus. When you have 6 bullies you find loads of interesting stuff time and time again. Luckily after I treat it, there is usually no trace the next day.

Next time I talk to my vet I will ask him the differences in colors of 'goo and stains' and what it is likely. I will bring my notebook :)

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]

You guys won't believe this! It's cleared up!! So here's the timeline and exactly what I did...
Saturday morning it was his regular brown wax that he always has but it was bothering him, thats when I tried the wipes, Saturday night it was the white creamy discharge, so I just cleaned them out with cotton pads (nothing on it, I didn't want to mix any of the cleaners so soon)
Sunday morning, still the discharge (bad enough that I said if this is still like this tomorrow I'm calling the vet), so I cleaned the outside fur with witch hazel (it must have been dripping out his ear or something) and put the zymox in, last night it looked a little better.
This morning, dry, not red what so ever and not bothering him!!!! This morning his ears looked the best they ever have! I'm seriously in disbelief.

I have no idea what the discharge was, it barely had a smell to it. Sunday morning it had a yellowish tint to it. I don't know, but it's gone! I hope it stays like that. Maybe the combination of the malaket and zymox...???

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
@2BullyMama @cowsmom @Davidh @GatorRay @Sherry @desertskybulldogs

You guys won't believe this! It's cleared up!! So here's the timeline and exactly what I did...
Saturday morning it was his regular brown wax that he always has but it was bothering him, thats when I tried the wipes, Saturday night it was the white creamy discharge, so I just cleaned them out with cotton pads (nothing on it, I didn't want to mix any of the cleaners so soon)
Sunday morning, still the discharge (bad enough that I said if this is still like this tomorrow I'm calling the vet), so I cleaned the outside fur with witch hazel (it must have been dripping out his ear or something) and put the zymox in, last night it looked a little better.
This morning, dry, not red what so ever and not bothering him!!!! This morning his ears looked the best they ever have! I'm seriously in disbelief.

I have no idea what the discharge was, it barely had a smell to it. Sunday morning it had a yellowish tint to it. I don't know, but it's gone! I hope it stays like that. Maybe the combination of the malaket and zymox...???

Great post!!!! Thanx so much for passing along the info! :)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Oh that is so good to hear. Maybe a combo of the two. I'm glad he is better

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So happy he is better, and thanks for the update. I'm like you, hoping it stays away.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]

That is bizarre ... so glad he is better

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online