Help Needed! Irritated eye

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
So Herman was out for his nightly pee/poo and here comes the dog from next door - they were lunging and swiping at one another. It's a tiny dog, not sure what breed, maybe a weiner dog, name is Buddah and he is 1 month younger than Herman so he's still a puppy so he's not very strong. I think that somehow Buddah may have done something to irritate Herman's eye as I did see Buddah hit Herman in the face as he was flying around (yes, that little Buddah can fly - he's quick and feisty, Herman is deliberate and slow).

Either that, or Herman did something to his own eye when scratching his ear. It is so red that I could see how red it was in the dark :(

I dont see any scratches or anything, so my best guess is it's similar to something would hit a person in the eye and it gets red / watery for a while. It doesnt seem watery just really, really red.

Anything I can do to alleviate the redness if it doesnt get better? So far I dont see any swelling or cuts. Just a blood red eye.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
If you can run up to your local drug store you can get some Bausch and Lomb advanced eye relief to flush it, then get some lubricating eye ointment to put on it.

If he starts to squint he may have a scratch on it. You will need to get to the vet to prevent an ulcer. Hugs!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
If you can run up to your local drug store you can get some Bausch and Lomb advanced eye relief to flush it, then get some lubricating eye ointment to put on it.

If he starts to squint he may have a scratch on it. You will need to get to the vet to prevent an ulcer. Hugs!

Thank you! Which lubricating eye ointment do you suggest? I probably have some lubricating eye drops (for my allergies) but that's not an ointment.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Is it possible to post a picture? Brutus's eyes get very red after plaaying hard. I hope its nothing serious...I am not sure what drops would be good sorry

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Thank you! Which lubricating eye ointment do you suggest? I probably have some lubricating eye drops (for my allergies) but that's not an ointment.

It is just that.... "lubricating eye ointment". The drops will sting if he has a scratch, the ointment stays in longer and can protect.

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
It is just that.... "lubricating eye ointment". The drops will sting if he has a scratch, the ointment stays in longer and can protect.

Thanks I'll get some today. It doesn't seem as red as it was last night, but its definitely redder than normal.

@ChanelnBrutus - I saw that happen at the vets when was trying to play with another puppy. His eyes got so red and his ears got a deep red too. But I think I remembered reading on here that happens when they get excited. I showed the vet and she said he had just gotten "worked up". In a minute or two it went back to normal. I'll try to get a picture, but I already know how that's going to go LOL

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
If he starts to squint AT ALL, get to the vet because he could have a scratch or ulcer. I don't mess with eyes lol

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon's eyes get blood red when he is playing hard or if he is pulling hard, but it's both eyes not one that get red. They normally go back to white after some ice water and relaxing, is it possible he got into something outside he could be having an allergic reaction to?

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online