Help Needed! Help with paw licking!

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
I bought the contraption online that has garter like things for the socks to keep them on, for dogs who chew their feet. But I am so scared to use them at night when he's in his crate, in case he chews the elastic and gets sick. I tried the socks one night and they were off the next morning of course. Mr. D won't stop licking whenever someone isn't around. All his feet are pink between the toes and I am at my wit's end. NOTHING has worked to end this, antihistamines, antibiotics, neo predef, salve I bought online (Derma Paw, which I just used once as it's petroleum based and I'm worried it's going to start yeast or worse) I see people recommend bitter apple but I foresee an allergic reaction to that junk. This all started after a few nights at the kennel. He came home with red/raw feet in July and we just can't get a handle on it now, though it improved a bit after the meds. He also kicks like crazy whenever he goes to the bathroom so that's can't help either. Any ideas guys? He gets bathed every 2 weeks or so. I spray his feet daily with an anti bacteria/yeast spray.
ETA He's been allergy tested - the food he eats supposedly has nothing in it he's allergic to. I also give him snip tip oils every night in his food.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I can only recommend verericyn posted here by another member, they were having interdigital cysts and tried everything. I just got some myself to spray them with, it is 99% hydroginalized (sp?) water so it's safe to put anywhere, even in the eyes.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
When Gizmo starts 'working on her feet' its usually due to a Yeast Infection... Quick test... put your nose down there and take a whiff, if it smells like Freto's Corn Chips........ its YEAST.

If it is Yeast wecdip her feet twice a day in

1 part Apple Cider Vinegar
1 part Hydrogen Peroxide
2 parts water

its a very inexpensive solution to make and keep on hand, just have a big enough, preferably flat bottomed container, and I have her stand in it, (one paw at a time) I massage it in between her toes - and then I dry them.

now, you also have to 'kill the yeast colony' which means washing her bedding several times during the treatment, ever few days until you get it under control.

Its funny we call it 'Pickling Paws' cause when she comes to bed that night.... WHEW ! it smells of Pickles ! (the vinegar!)

OP
B

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
When Gizmo starts 'working on her feet' its usually due to a Yeast Infection... Quick test... put your nose down there and take a whiff, if it smells like Freto's Corn Chips........ its YEAST.

1 part Hydrogen Peroxide
2 parts water

its a very inexpensive solution to make and keep on hand, just have a big enough, preferably flat bottomed container, and I have her stand in it, (one paw at a time) I massage it in between her toes - and then I dry them.

now, you also have to 'kill the yeast colony' which means washing her bedding several times during the treatment, ever few days until you get it under control.

Its funny we call it 'Pickling Paws' cause when she comes to bed that night.... WHEW ! it smells of Pickles ! (the vinegar!)

Thanks, I will keep this in mind. Yes, [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] I am using the vetericyn spray and recommend it and it's helped,but not as much as I'd like. :( No cysts on him, but I worry they might start if this doesn't get under control.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You can also try soaking them in epsom salts.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i would soak his feet as rarett suggested and often. sarah has red under her paws and yeast on her pads. im talking every day. i use chloraseb on sarahs feet twice a day with lotirmin powder. i soak her feet when bathing and have started using hibiclenz also. actually for me the duoxo pads i started using seem to be doing the most. it is strange that this started after a trip to the kennels. might want to try to up the treatment and see what happens.

rblanshan

Sep 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Eva
Agree with the post above with Chloroseb. Anything with Chlorhexidine...Mal-a-Ket is another brand. If he's licking his paws, he already has yeast problems...or he's really bored. Yours sounds like yeast for sure. I think every bulldog owner should own chloroseb/Mal-A-Ket products as they tend to have yeast/fungus issues because of all the wrinkles. I always keep the ear flush, shampoo & wipes (or spray) on hand. Use the wipes or spray on his paws twice a day. Use the wipes on his facial wrinkles, tail area. I think they work better then baby wipes because the dry faster. Do NOT bathe every two weeks. In fact, I recommend only bathing a couple times a year. The more you bathe, especially with this breed, the more you wash away the skins natural oils and you are setting yourself up for skin issues. When you do bathe, use the Chloroseb shampoo. You would think they would stink after a couple weeks, but they don't. If your bulldog stinks, it's probably due to yeast. If mine do get muddy, ect. I spray them down with just water...no shampoo. Also, plain yogurt with live cultures...start adding it to his diet daily. Tablespoon for adults, teaspoon for puppies. Freeze it in a kong, or put on top of his food. It helps keep fungus undercontrol. They don't need a lot of it, but just a little. Watch the sugar content, get the yogurt with the least amount of sugar. Good luck!

Zoey1974

Bully's Bikes and Books!
Jun 25, 2012
Lake Milton, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
I second the epsom salt soaks. When I first got Zoey, a few drops of ACV (the raw kind) each day did wonders for her paw as well. I don't think I can ever eat Freto's chips again :D

OP
B

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I use Etiderm shampoo and masaleb (on the feet, wrinkles and rear) shampoos combined when I bathe him and his coat seems just fine. It's hot and humid here and it also helps wash off all the environmenal allergins I believe too. I don't think his feet are yeasty because they don't smell and they aren't brown, just very pink, but clean. I haven't used the duox wipes in a while since I ran out a few months ago, maybe I should order some... His tail, ears, and wrinkles look great. I powder them when needed. It's just the feet that are driving me nuts right now.

rblanshan

Sep 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Eva
I have always heard paw licking is either out of boredom or yeast. If you have the malaseb shampoo, you could just bathe his paws daily and see how that works. I have had a vet say ACV can over neutralize the problem....but I have also learned that vets don't know everything, so it's worth a shot. I had a bulldog lick her paws and I didn't smell anything either, they were just pink as well. I wiped with pledglets and that stopped the problem.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
The only time I've seen Bacon lick is out of boredom, he actually nibbles on his let more then licking. If I have him a toy to play with he stops.

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
I use the gold listerine on Bruin. I can't say it helps the root of the problem, but I think it stops him from wanting to lick his paws as the taste and smell are kinda strong. I just put a little on a cotton pad and wipe over the paw really quick, he stops licking.

OP
B

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks guys! I used a lot of Masaleb shampoo on his feet Sunday and they are looking better today!

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus

1 part Hydrogen Peroxide
2 parts water

How effective has this treatment been for you ?

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I haven't really experience yeast issues or allergy issues with feet but here is a great article that talks about taking care of the paws and yeast. Be sure to check out the very last video as that one thoroughly touches on yeast issues and the causes for it. One of things that surprised me was if your dog has yeast issues is to not use a shampoo that is oatmeal based as oatmeal is a holder (something like that) for yeast.

The Proper Way to Clean Ears, Nose Ropes, Folds, Paws, Tail Pockets and Vulva

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...nose-ropes-folds-paws-tail-pockets-vulva.html

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online