Thread: Help with paw licking!

Pet Sitter
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Help with paw licking!

Thanks guys! I used a lot of Masaleb shampoo on his feet Sunday and they are looking better today!

Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member Maximus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RaRett View Post
    When Gizmo starts 'working on her feet' its usually due to a Yeast Infection... Quick test... put your nose down there and take a whiff, if it smells like Freto's Corn Chips........ its YEAST.

If it is Yeast wecdip her feet twice a day in

1 part Apple Cider Vinegar
    1 part Hydrogen Peroxide
    2 parts water

its a very inexpensive solution to make and keep on hand, just have a big enough, preferably flat bottomed container, and I have her stand in it, (one paw at a time) I massage it in between her toes - and then I dry them.

now, you also have to 'kill the yeast colony' which means washing her bedding several times during the treatment, ever few days until you get it under control.

Its funny we call it 'Pickling Paws' cause when she comes to bed that night.... WHEW ! it smells of Pickles ! (the vinegar!)
    How effective has this treatment been for you ?

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

I haven't really experience yeast issues or allergy issues with feet but here is a great article that talks about taking care of the paws and yeast. Be sure to check out the very last video as that one thoroughly touches on yeast issues and the causes for it. One of things that surprised me was if your dog has yeast issues is to not use a shampoo that is oatmeal based as oatmeal is a holder (something like that) for yeast.

The Proper Way to Clean Ears, Nose Ropes, Folds, Paws, Tail Pockets and Vulva

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...ets-vulva.html
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Oogle Me on Google Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    How effective has this treatment been for you ?
    Very Effective ! we just had to do it twice a day for about a week, and keep washing her bedding, once it was under control, we do it occasionally (while playing with her, I'll sniff her feet and see if I smell that distinctive corn chip odor.

Dog Park Attendant TonkaTruck28's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tonka
    Likes (Received)

Where do you guys get he malaseb/ chloraseb or any of the antiyeasty products?

Dog Groomer
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
    Likes (Received)

Feet licking - Zelda (RIP) used to lick hers. If it's yeast, vinegar water should help. Rinse her feet in it when needed and keep them dry. Yeasty beasties like warm moist places. You can wipe her privates after she pees with a warm damp rag dipped in it. Also you can add about a tablespoon of vinegar to a gallon of drinking water. That will change her systemic PH enough to inhibit their ability to grow. Zelda also had allergies to the grass in the yard and who know what other weeds in the neighborhood. Washing her feet in the vinegar when she came in got the itchy stuff off them although that doesn't sound like your problem since you can pinpoint when it started.

Could it be anxiety and boredom from being away from home that started a bad habit? If it's that good luck. A muzzle (ugg)?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads