Other The latest with Chunk ...

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Let's see if I can make this short and sweet. :hmm:

So the day before we were moving into our house (which btw, our apartment was barely packed because I had no where to put boxes), I took Chunk to the vet. He had been constipated, he was going but not much and threw up trying twice that week. I was thinking they would just give him a laxative or recommend one ... yeah WRONG. She palpated his belly and said everything felt ok but she wanted to do an x-ray to be sure. I agreed - god forbid there was a blockage. Well, no blockage but his colon was FULL of :poo:. In fact, full is not even the right word. It was expanded to a point that they weren't sure if the muscles were even able to work anymore. So, they had to put him into a twilight kind of sedation so they could give him an enema. :pouting: (They could have done it without but when she did the rectal exam, he was in major discomfort and she preferred the twilight just to make things easier on him. I agreed.) So I ran the baby home while they did the procedure and ran back to get him. Of course, I'm now completely panicked, had to leave the baby home so he could eat and go back to get Chunk.

As I walk in to pick up Chunk, I see the sweetest little girl bulldog with her 4 year old owner. So I ask if I can pet her while I wait and the little girl says, "yes" and proceeds to tell me all about her and that "she is going to heaven". OMG, I almost lost it right there. Thankfully, they weren't putting her down, she just had started to have seizures and was 11 years old so they were preparing the little girl for worst case. But wow, my heart was breaking. Then the little girl invited me over to play with play-doh. How stinkin' cute! :)

In any case, the procedure went well and they took Chunk out and he :poo: plenty but said he'd probably go more then not at all for a while. Well, that night was interesting. Poor guy would be fast asleep on the floor then jump up, run to the door and barely make it outside. I felt awful. Thankfully, he was doing better the next day and he was in the best hands while we moved, [MENTION=2415]AdventuresWithOliver[/MENTION].

After the weekend, we had to start giving him miralax ... that worked for about a week then things seemed to slow up again. So we were given lactulose too. They were concerned that he might have a rare condition called Megacolon (no clue if that's how it's spelled), where basically the muscles can't push enough to get out the :poo:.

This was all during the end of July ... since then we switched from a grain-free food back to regular food which helped the issue (no more laxatives!) but now his skin is not looking as good and we are back on eyedrops because his eyes got swollen. :mad: Our vet wants me to call the dermatologist (Dr. Ian Spiegel ... he's awesome! Hard to get an appt because he's so in demand) and see if he has any food suggestions. SOoooo, I guess we will see what happens next!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Poor Chunk.... that has to be so uncomfortable for him. Did you try adding the pumpkin to his food

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Poor Chunk, hope you can get him on the right food to help with both issues. Hugs to him and you.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh my gosh that is awful! Poor baby! Hopefully this will fix him up but now to deal with allergies, isn't it always something? Been missing you around here! ;) so the move went ok and all, aside from this, I take it? How is the baby and where in heck are the pictures??? :D

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
do you have any way to get more water in him. when a dog is constipated that is the first thing i think of. i would think about going back to the grain free but maybe a different one. also might think about adding some canned food to his diet. that will usually make a dog more runny and you can also add some water to it to see if that helps. maybe try some ice cubes. i hope all gets better and the move gets done soon.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Awwwww. Poor Chunky Monkey. I hope he's feeling better soon and you're unpacked and feeling at home in no time.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Not my Chunk-baby??? He couldn't possibly be full of :poo: ;) I think you've gotten some good advice above, pumpkin, h2o, and different grain free food. We can, and will solve this for the Chunky Monkey.. :) How about a new pic of Chunk.... and Clayton too. ;)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Excellent advice above, hopefully it is not Mega Olin and he just did not have enough fluid to help things along. Give Chunk a smoochie from me xx

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
Chunksmama

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks everyone! He's very much back to himself now, thank goodness. Plus I think the cool weather and having run of the yard is helping a lot too!!!

[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION], I will definitely try those things. I had been giving him pumpkin for a long while before this ... Made it a staple in his diet. I like the idea of canned food with the kibble, how much should I add to each meal do you think? And I was definitely considering a different grain-free. We were on Blue Wilderness and I thought maybe being "high protein" didn't help? Just not sure which brand to try next. He's done best on a fish protein ... right now I switched him to limited ingredient blue buffalo, just thinking that it may be better than the regular stuff. Any suggestions on which to try? I was going to look through our dog food ratings and see which has a lower protein ...

[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] ... I posted pics, in another thread! I see you have found them ... maybe next time I need to post a huge sign that says "BRUCEP LOOK HERE!!!" :p

[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] ... I KNEW I had the name wrong. Have you ever dealt with that?! It just seems so crazy. We've pretty much ruled it out at this point, thank goodness!

OP
Chunksmama

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
As you can see, Chunk is enjoying my fav room too ... the screen porch :) :) :) photo.JPG

Last edited:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=1081]Chunksmama[/MENTION] doesnt have to be the protein but more something in the food doesnt agree with him. i would start out with like make several tablespoons or 1/4 can or something and see how he does then you can increase if needed. well lots here are doing well with earthborn coastal catch or do you need something at petsmart or petco? castor & pollux has a grain and poultry free one. let me know i can find you more if needed.

OP
Chunksmama

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] - actually Pet Valu (not sure if they are a chain) & another small store by me carry the Earthborn Holistic - was considering that because they sometimes have sales/coupons for it! Lord knows every penny helps! I just have to check to see if they carry the coastal catch. Thank you!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Thanks everyone! He's very much back to himself now, thank goodness. Plus I think the cool weather and having run of the yard is helping a lot too!!!

[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION], I will definitely try those things. I had been giving him pumpkin for a long while before this ... Made it a staple in his diet. I like the idea of canned food with the kibble, how much should I add to each meal do you think? And I was definitely considering a different grain-free. We were on Blue Wilderness and I thought maybe being "high protein" didn't help? Just not sure which brand to try next. He's done best on a fish protein ... right now I switched him to limited ingredient blue buffalo, just thinking that it may be better than the regular stuff. Any suggestions on which to try? I was going to look through our dog food ratings and see which has a lower protein ...

[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] ... I posted pics, in another thread! I see you have found them ... maybe next time I need to post a huge sign that says "BRUCEP LOOK HERE!!!" :p

[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] ... I KNEW I had the name wrong. Have you ever dealt with that?! It just seems so crazy. We've pretty much ruled it out at this point, thank goodness!

Oh my I dont know if the name was wrong that is my iPod auto correct at work!!! Maybe iPod knows!! Lmao

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.