Other Here we go again!! Just back from the vet :(

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
A couple of months ago Vegas kind of fell down while walking, and then had a limp and a knot in the top left thigh. I took him to the vet and his ACL was intact, the vet thought pulled muscle, gave him a shot of cortisone and bed rest. Well his left leg healed up nicely. This afternoon I am laying in bed with Vegas watching TV and I get up to go to the bathroom and Vegas jumped out of my bed :nope::w00t:...So now it is his right leg!!

I took him to the vet AGAIN and THANK GOD it was not his ACL, but just a pulled muscle. He got another shot of cortisone and is on crate rest (no jumping up or down from furniture) for the rest of the weekend.

On another bad note....our Vet lectured me on his weight!! In May When I had him to the vet he weighed 57, down from 63 that he had maintained for almost 2 years because I had done a food change to Earthbourne Holistic Meadowfest, with Lamb as the protein, I personally thought he looked a little to thin...Sooo I changed his protein to Bison, still the same line of food Earthboune Holistic just higher protein. When he hurt his left leg in early June he weighed 60, today he weighed 63, He wants Vegas back down to under 60.

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Poor Vegas, so happy it was not serious. Hope he is back to his old self soon.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Poor little guy! I hope he heals up quick! The vet always stresses the weight thing with me too when I take Samson in. He is 55 lbs, has a clear waist, in great shape but I always thought if he gained a couple pounds he'd still be fine but the vet said no, she wouldn't want to see him gain any weight. Specifically because he's a bulldog and how any extra weight will cause more problems than it would if he were another breed. I would have thought Vegas would be totally fine with a couple extra pounds too, he always looks so nice and athletic, nice clear waist, he's such a handsome boy! :luv:

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION], Vegas has a great build, very defined waist, like your vet, our vet is just looking out for further down the line. I wish he only knew how careful I am about his weight, I told him the food that I fed and he gets no junky treats, but he wants me to cut him down to 3/4 cup twice a day..um don't think that is going to happen unless he adds more weight. Keep in mind it has been with humidity and heat index over 100 here for the whole summer, so it has only been out to potty and right back in.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Poor fella...ruff day. :(

I guess just be thankful it's not the dreaded ACL or the vet would recommend your wallet become $3K lighter to fix it.

Get better buddy! xox

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Vegas has a great build, very defined waist, like your vet, our vet is just looking out for further down the line. I wish he only knew how careful I am about his weight, I told him the food that I fed and he gets no junky treats, but he wants me to cut him down to 3/4 cup twice a day..um don't think that is going to happen unless he adds more weight. Keep in mind it has been with humidity and heat index over 100 here for the whole summer, so it has only been out to potty and right back in.

3/4 cup twice a day is all Samson eats. Well that's all he eats of the NVI salmon because it has 35% protein. Back when I had his on Natural Balance and TOTW I was giving him one cup twice a day because those foods only have 25% protein.

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
A couple of months ago Vegas kind of fell down while walking, and then had a limp and a knot in the top left thigh. I took him to the vet and his ACL was intact, the vet thought pulled muscle, gave him a shot of cortisone and bed rest. Well his left leg healed up nicely. This afternoon I am laying in bed with Vegas watching TV and I get up to go to the bathroom and Vegas jumped out of my bed :nope::w00t:...So now it is his right leg!!

I took him to the vet AGAIN and THANK GOD it was not his ACL, but just a pulled muscle. He got another shot of cortisone and is on crate rest (no jumping up or down from furniture) for the rest of the weekend.

On another bad note....our Vet lectured me on his weight!! In May When I had him to the vet he weighed 57, down from 63 that he had maintained for almost 2 years because I had done a food change to Earthbourne Holistic Meadowfest, with Lamb as the protein, I personally thought he looked a little to thin...Sooo I changed his protein to Bison, still the same line of food Earthboune Holistic just higher protein. When he hurt his left leg in early June he weighed 60, today he weighed 63, He wants Vegas back down to under 60.

Oh no! I was at he vet too today with Dublin. She has a hot spot... First one and wasn't sure what it was. he did express her anal glands for free yeah! and yuch! ( believe me he has gotten his fair share :-) ) She is up by two pounds since her surgery.. I was very upset but he wasn't... She is now two and 50 lbs. He just said "wait until the weather gets cooler and then she can exercise more" A big problem here in FL as you well know. Dublin is on a high protein Orijen and I mix it with TOTW Lamb. only 3/4 cup twice a day with a 2 tablespoons of ground beef with each meal as she hates plain Kibble. Going to bring that down a bit. I blame my husband for feeding her "treats" Last week she was limping and as she doesn't ( or can't. such short legs) jump up I couldnt' figure it out. I waited a few days and then she was fine. It scared me at first but I knew she hadn't done anything out of the ordinary. I hope Vegas is fine and looking at his pics I just can't see him as being overweight at all. I hope we can set that play date up soon... There is a bully meet up in Clearwater early tomorrow morning. I really wanted to go but doubt if we will make it....

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Poor sweet Vegas! Is there an indoor dog walking area with AC anywhere near you? Do you have a Dr. that would sign off on Vegas as a service dog (you freak out, get depressed, etc. without him) so you could walk him in a mall early in the morning? That would be better than cutting his groceries. The vet is right, though, weight is such an important factor in their longevity!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Poor Vegas baby.... hope he heals up quick ..... hugs to him!

Zoey1974

Bully's Bikes and Books!
Jun 25, 2012
Lake Milton, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
Poor Vegas. I can't jump off my bed like I used to either :p My vet gave me a little lecture about a few pounds and I just told him 3 pounds was a good :poo: and not to fret. I'm sure that the hot weather plays a part and he will walk it off when it is cooler. Hope he feels better!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Poor Vegas! Hope he feels better after some good rest! As for the weight, I think Cutty looks a tad too thin but the dr says he is perfect and wants no weight added so I leave him be. Figure they know best assuming you trust your vet that is. Looks like he will be getting more veggies? Lol

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh and Cutty also eats 3/4 cups 2x a day. Well his are heaping scoops now that he isnt dieting anymore but still. Add in a 3rd meal of veggies to balance for little Vegas maybe?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh im so glad its nothing serious with the leg. yea weight is such a biggie with these fellas. when sarah was on kibble i had her on 2/3 cup twice a day or 3/4 depending on the food she was eating. im sure you will get it figured out. yea vegas might become a veggie boy. :2thumbs:

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.