General Question Return of Demodex

Chevys Mama

Jul 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Chevy
My 6 mo old pup was a victim of Demodex. Worst experience offer with a pet. He was treated w/ a course of Mitaban (1x/week) and daily (some weeks 2x/day) antibiotics. His vet did bi-weekly skin scrapings, and the last visit ( 3 weeks ago) he was cleared. I am looking for a bit of advice as we have noticed a small bump on his muzzle and a couple of scab ish areas on his neck, above his collar. As this illness has forced me to research and seek more advice than most people could imagine, I am wondering the possibility of a Demodex recurrence, even if not now, further down the line. Thanks so much for your feedback!!

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
It's definitely possible, but it's best to not guess and easier on the mind to get the scraping again. If when he's older his immune system takes a hit (like he if is really sick), it's possible the mites can take over again. But once he gets over this bout and gets older it shouldnt come back. Just keep working on strengthening his immune system now.

For now, if you suspect it might be demodex again and you dont want to go through the treatments, I was recommended naturasil pet mange concentrate by a holistic pet pain person (if that makes sense). Also, here I was recommended neem oil and nu-stock. so there are many options if it hasnt gotten bad and its still localized.

mc68mc

Sep 11, 2012
Columbia Mo area
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
April aka Big Smoochie or Smoocha - Libre'
So sorry to hear of your pups dicomfort hope everything gets cleared up

Sep 13, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Scarlet
My Scarlet went through the same thing. She had to go back to the vets office one a week for 4 weeks for a special bath. That was when she was still a puppy and also battling pneumonia. Our vet said that as her immune system strengthens and she gets older, we should not have a problem. Scarlet is now a year and 7 months old and she has not had a recurrence.

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Westchester, New York, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
I'm not much help here as Lily is going through the dips right now as we speak.
She has had 2 dips so far and another due next Sat. I always worry about this crap coming back in the future but I guess we should get through this first.
I know the immune system has a lot do with it. Once that hopefully strengthens they should be ok.
You just never know..
I hope everything turns out ok!!
Keep us posted!!

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.