Help Needed! Parvo ( help) what do I do?

DesertBum

Sep 11, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Xena
one of my dogs had parvo a few years back, he is a bullmastiff. I don't know how much different a bulldog may be? Yes, it can be deadly, but hopefully you caught it early. My vet first told me how much the meds were going to be and I was going to head south of the border to pick it up there. But then found a pharm company that I could get the meds from pretty inexpensive. I believe it was about $60 a month, but it was some time ago. I will see if I can find the info. when I get home. I just gave him a pill a day when feeding, took him in every quarter and had blood test done again. After two years his test came back clean. I still have him checked every 6 months, because it is never really gone, but no signs of it in any test and its been 8 or so years since he has had any medication. I hope this helps and prayers to Buddy

Just got home from work, and found an old bottle... don't ask, we keep everything. The name of the drug that we were giving him was Fluconazole. You may want to check with you vet. I can send you the name of the pharmacy I got it at if you need it, they do online refills and shipping. I don't want to post it and risk breaking any rules.

Last edited:

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
We use fluconazole for butler's valley fever! It's nice and cheap now, so if that's the med you're using it's very affordable.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
[MENTION=5995]DesertBum[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1539]sheila[/MENTION] have promising news [MENTION=5798]Hero4u2b[/MENTION] and that's great news that he is active. wonderful

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Very happy to hear that he ate and playful. Those are great signs. Praying for your Buddy to continue improving!

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
I don't know a lot about Parvo, but I do know a house I used to live at years ago...their dog had Parvo and it looked like a skeleton...it had lost so much weight. I was told by my vet that my yard was not safe for my dogs to go out in. The virus can still be on the ground for months after...all the dog droppings need to be cleaned up...anywhere the infected dog was in contagious.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Glad he is eating and getting the care he needs...Hoping for a great fast recovery

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I hope he is doing well! That medication is something to look into!

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Palm Beach County Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
I am searching online now and writing it down and I am going to run it by my vet. I feel like telling the vet today ( depending if I can take Buddy home) that I feel it was very unprofesional not to call me yesterday afternoon to give me an update on Buddy before closing at 1pm. If I was a vet and I had hospitilized animals I would call my client every day with an update. I wanted to visit Buddy yesterday like I do everyday. Just so he knows I am not abandoning him. I will know at 830 am how he did last night. Thanks everyone for your warm wishs and help with this. Hero

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Well Buddy is home and his old self. She said ( the vet) he did not have a bad case of Parvo. She had seen much much worst. Cost,> $1872.00 Level 1 care, bio hazard fees , catheter sets drugs , ect > 2 pages. They already faxed my insurance company with the claim form and even Dr Burns said Trupanion with pay it all except the 10% co pay I have so that's a relief. She said she called the pharmaceutical company " Merial" or Meril. Don't exactly know how you spell it but Buddy has had 5 vaccinations for Parvo and still got it. She said we have a case number with them whatever that is supposed to mean. There are mixed opinions out there on if a dog can get parvo twice but most are saying no He will build a immunity to it now. I have 2 medications ( pills) I give him one of each twice a day. One is Clavamox and one is Metrondazole 250mg. I have to keep Buddy away from all other dogs for 3 weeks and have to spray where he poops with bleach and water every time as well. What a nightmare ! Well hopefully the worst is over. After picking him up from the vet you have never seen a happier puppy in your life. Buddy was so happy I had to pull over. He was all over my truck in my lap in my friends lap. Like Thank God for getting me out of there. I have brought him outdoors twice since we got home. Pee both times no poop. He is eating like a starved animal. I bathed him ( what a stench poor guy) cleaned his folds on his face. his tail pocket and cleaned his ears with the epi -optic solution. Now he is in his crate and resting. Well just thought I would fill you in on what happened. Thanks everyone for your support. Hero

Gizmom

Jul 29, 2012
Connecticut
Bulldog(s) Names
Emily Louise, Bowzer Bramblemitts (02/05/2001 - 06/14/2012)
Glad that he is home and feeling better now. :)

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
[MENTION=5798]Hero4u2b[/MENTION] you brought a smile to my face just bow!! I'm so happy Buddy is home. Herman threw up yesterday, and I don't know why - I freaked out and started thinking about Buddy! ! I'm so HAPPY he is home now and he seems to be doing good. I know you are relieved!

When will you post a picture of Buddy?

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks everyone for your suport and ofcourse Elearn.. Here 9-06-2012 028.jpg9-06-2012 002.jpg buddy10.jpg

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
So glad he is home now!!! You both deserve a big hug xx

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.