Help Needed! Parvo ( help) what do I do?

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Palm Beach County Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hello everyone. My puppy who has been at the vets since Monday morning because Sunday had diariha all day was diagnosed with Giardia on Monday at the vets. She hospitilized him and has been giving him IV flagyl as well as fluids to hydrate him. I have been to see him today and yesterday. He seems fine and just started to eat a little bit today. I had mentioned to the vet that I heard that giardia was hard to diagnose because the cysts could be in an egg state and not active ect and also it could be hard to treat. well at that she ordered a ultra sound of his intestional track and a parvo test and sure enough she just called me to tell me Buddy has parvo :crying: We didn't speak long but now I am saying to myself what doest this mean? is Buddy going to die? Am I going to end up spending thousands of dollars in vet bills? Please someone tell me what this means and will he be ok? Thank you

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
Oh my, I am so sorry. I've never had a dog with parvo, but I've read there can be a range of severity. If he's already at the vet, he's getting fluids and everything he needs. So, try to take comfort in that. Poor lil muffin!

Have you heard of Care Credit? This saved us when our girl had unexpected surgery for UTIs. You can pay in installments and there's no interest up to a year (or 6 months in some cases). Also, if you have other pets or are in contact with family/neighbor pets, make sure they've got vaccinations. All I can offer for now, except good thoughts. Others will come by for sure with help.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Well I see no one has responded, honestly, in my opinoion, it's the worst thing a puppy can get and this is the reason people should not take their puppy's out into public until all the vaccines are done. It is so contageous that it can be spread from the bottom of ones shoes. I prefer you to do a Google search on Parvo and look at the prognocises. I'm certainley praying for you guys. :pray:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh no i have no experience with it but i will be praying for your little guy.

kayo56

Jul 11, 2012
Old Bridge, New Jersey, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet.
Hello everyone. My puppy who has been at the vets since Monday morning because Sunday had diariha all day was diagnosed with Giardia on Monday at the vets. She hospitilized him and has been giving him IV flagyl as well as fluids to hydrate him. I have been to see him today and yesterday. He seems fine and just started to eat a little bit today. I had mentioned to the vet that I heard that giardia was hard to diagnose because the cysts could be in an egg state and not active ect and also it could be hard to treat. well at that she ordered a ultra sound of his intestional track and a parvo test and sure enough she just called me to tell me Buddy has parvo :crying: We didn't speak long but now I am saying to myself what doest this mean? is Buddy going to die? Am I going to end up spending thousands of dollars in vet bills? Please someone tell me what this means and will he be ok? Thank you

Do you mean the Giardia parasite? I remember my sister, my brother in law and I all got that--I don't know how--a number of years ago. The people doing the test screwed up, and I didn't find out my test had come out positive until weeks later. My brother in law had been given some pills, and my sister, although they never diagnosed it, seemed to have exactly the same symptoms. We all seemed to recover at the same time, and I was told at that time that it didn't really matter that I hadn't had any medication.

Of course, I'm not a bulldog, but you might want to investigate on your own. My sister has done very well with her animals by first doing research, and getting an idea of what she could do by herself, and what she can't. It's worth researching.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hero... how old is Buddy? Parvo is very serious, but since he is at the vet getting fluids and meds - he should pull through, but it is a nasty infection and dehydration is usually the cause of death. Between not eating, drinking and diarrhea pups dehydrate quickly and most owners do not realize this pup has this infection thus waiting too long to get to the vet.

You acted quickly and your baby is in the right place get what he needs.

HUGS and PRAYERS to you and Buddy. Please keep us posted.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
I agree with 2bullymama , she is already getting helped at the vets and thats a good sign that she will get through this. Go online and check out Credit Care and see if you qualify.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
[MENTION=5798]Hero4u2b[/MENTION], how is your puppy doing now? please keep us updated and I'm thinking of Buddy. :pray:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I'll be praying for Buddy too...you are a great Momma and did ALL you can do.

You saved Buddy's life by getting him in so quickly and by insisting on further testing.

It's getting quickly dxed AND treated that is critical and I believe Buddy will pull thru and
recover completely.

You get rested up for your little guy coming home and afterwards build up his immune system
with pre & pro biotics and a good daily multi vit/mineral. Prayers! Love, Carol

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
[MENTION=5798]Hero4u2b[/MENTION] please keep us updated on Buddy! when will you go to see him again?

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
How old is your puppy? Parvo is an awful diagnosis. It's good that you acted quickly and that your baby is already getting fluids and such from the vet. I was told during my puppy shots years ago that a pup under 6 months has a 50/50 chance of surviving parvo. I don't know if there are advancements in treatment since 2007, but I hope so! Keep us updated and you have lots of prayers love and well wishes coming from us here at EBN!

mc68mc

Sep 11, 2012
Columbia Mo area
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
April aka Big Smoochie or Smoocha - Libre'
prayers going out to you and your canine companion -good thing Buddy was at the vets ,so he could get instant care

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Palm Beach County Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks everyone. I feel like calling another vet. Dr Burns even told me they were calling the pharmaceutical company that makes the parvo anti-virus vacantation to see what they think. I kept Buddy indoors for over a month just so something like this wouldn't happen. He still runs to my sliding door to go potty on accession on the porch. I had. and am having to train him to go outdoors now. The only thing I can think of is possibly the test it wrong??? Or one of the dogs here ( rescues ) that several people have here had it. and now is carrying the virus. I have no idea I still do not know enough about it. I will let you know how this progress's. Buddy has started to eat which is a good sign and he is still play-full. I visited him Tuesday and yesterday. The vets tech said she has seen dogs so sick with parvo they couldnt hold their head up and Buddy isactive and seems happy. Buddy is 5 months old. has had ALL his vacanations and boosters ( I know I paid of $500) just for the vacanations boosters. rabies and the exam fee with fecal exam ect) since I got him and his breeder sent documented paper work showing all his vacanations. This is insane, Thanks everyone Hero

Members online

No members online now.