Other Seems like it is one thing after another

MrButtersMom

Aug 10, 2012
Southern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Butters
I posted not long ago that Mr.Butters had bald spots. Well, went to the vet last week before going to visit my mom for the weekend. He does have mange, demo...something......they gave him Ivermectin in liquid form. I was a little hesitant on the fast increase of dosage as the vet said it is used on cows usually and not dogs. .2cc, to .8cc in 4 days. I kept to the prescription directions, he has slowed down on eating but the vet said that is normal. Only need to be cautious if he becomes extremely lethargic.

I noticed yesterday though that his "weewee" looks larger than normal and has light green discharge coming from it. I have noticed this on dogs my dad had growing up, but dad wasn't big on vets and our dogs never died from anything but old age so I don't know to worry about this or not.

The other thing going on is...
while at my mom's, Mr.Butters had her dog as a playmate. Mr.Butters and my mom's dog played what seemed to be non-stop the entire weekend. Only break was when Mr.Butters was in his crate for bedtime or if I went out of the house with mom for a couple hours. When I left Sunday, Mr.Butters was lying down and when he went to get up it was like he couldn't lift his butt or move his back legs. He dragged (in a sitting position) his legs about 5-6" before he actually got up and moving. After getting up he was slow to walk but after warming up he walked normally. I have taken him on short frequent walks throughout the last couple days and he seems to have benefitted from it because he doesn't drag anymore but still gets up like an old man.

I hope he just over did himself and it will get better with time but all the problems I have heard bullys have with their hips I am worried that I let him hurt himself. I don't want to baby him, too much, but I have got the feeling I already try to protect him more than he needs.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh im so sorry bout the mange. i give sarah liquid ivermectin for her heartworm med as she is allergic to so many things. she does fine on it. not sure bout the weewee thing but maybe someone will come along with info. might want to not let him overdo it for the next few days and see if the legs get better. maybe not do to much and see how he is. ill be praying and thinking of you and him. im sure he will be ok soon.

OP
MrButtersMom

MrButtersMom

Aug 10, 2012
Southern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Butters
Thank you so much! I really think he just played a little too hard. He is active at home but not like he was this weekend.

You say you give the same meds for heartworm? Funny, the vet said it would make him very sick if he had heartworm. I have only seen this vet once and now having second thoughts....here goes my over protecting again?

I kind of think, or maybe hope, that the weewee thing could be a reaction to the meds? He is a squatter though and my mom has grass, could have caught something? We have concrete or dirt around my place so maybe the grass? So many questions racing through my head right now. Sorry if I am confusing.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Thank you so much! I really think he just played a little too hard. He is active at home but not like he was this weekend.

You say you give the same meds for heartworm? Funny, the vet said it would make him very sick if he had heartworm. I have only seen this vet once and now having second thoughts....here goes my over protecting again?

I kind of think, or maybe hope, that the weewee thing could be a reaction to the meds? He is a squatter though and my mom has grass, could have caught something? We have concrete or dirt around my place so maybe the grass? So many questions racing through my head right now. Sorry if I am confusing.
no no i meant i give it to her as her heartworm preventative. most meds now are pork based and she is allergic to pork and heartguard is beef but not sold by my vet so this is what he came up with so i did not have to order it. she is fine on it and no problems. well calm down or he will pick up on your panic. things will be ok.

OP
MrButtersMom

MrButtersMom

Aug 10, 2012
Southern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Butters
Thanks...

I have been so worried, I will relax now....best thing that has ever happened to me is him.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I don't know much about mange (just never experienced it) nor the med they gave you. I just wanted to say I hope Mr. Butters get better soon! And what a handsome guy he is and what a fantastic name. Love it! :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
OK I found this on eHow on the net about Ivermectin.

To treat and prevent skin parasites, such as fleas, ticks and mange, give your dog .15 milligrams per pound of body weight, then repeat the dosage in 14 days. If you are treating for gastrointestinal parasites such as round worms, the dosage is .2 milligrams per pound of body weight.

If your dog shows symptoms such as stumbling, tremors, weakness or disorientation after a dose of ivermectin, call your veterinarian right away. These are symptoms of a possible overdose.

Hope this helps.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
If your dog shows symptoms such as stumbling, tremors, weakness or disorientation after a dose of ivermectin, call your veterinarian right away. These are symptoms of a possible overdose.

Can I add a little to this please? This is what I was told about it when they gave it to Abby. She was given it for the demodex mange and given that specifically because it is processed in the liver and only a very small amount (less than 1%) passes through the kidneys.

All of the above symptoms can occur anywhere from immediately after taking the first dose up to a week after. They can be a sign of overdose but they can also be a sign of an allergic reaction. Both are just as serious and require immediate medical attention. Abby became extremely lethargic on her 5th day of Ivermectin. Had I not been warned that was a possible side effect and sign of a reaction, she wouldn't be with us today.

Most of the time Ivermectin is a totally safe medication to treat demodex mange and a host of other parasities. But on rare occasions it can be deadly unless you know what to look for.​

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hugs and prayers for you and Mr. Butters.... hope he gets better soon

mc68mc

Sep 11, 2012
Columbia Mo area
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
April aka Big Smoochie or Smoocha - Libre'
WE are new to the bulldog scene -so it is hard not to be over protective my wife threw out the BS card when I wanted to build steps for her to get on the bed --LOL I hope everything gets better !! and I do agree our girl April is already verry close to our heart as well

Members online