General Question Giardia/parvo/obstruction?

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Palm Beach County Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hello everyone, I called Burns office ( the vet) to check on my 5 month old ebd that I took to the vet yesterday moring that had-had diareha for a day and wasn't eating and this morning and after speaking with a tech there she went on to tell me he still won't eat anything well I went on to tell her I have been reading about Giarda on-line and in an english bulldog owner forum I use to learn about health issues ect. I said I heard that Giardia is hard to diagnose because many adult dogs have it but are a symptomatic and show no signs and a dog can test positive for it but it may be a blockage. even parvo causing the diarrhea and the positive giarida may be circumstantial. Also it can be difficult to treat as well because it can be reoccurring ect. I also asked why they weren't using the panacur in addition to the Flagyl ( Treatment of choice) and she said that was Burn's call ( the vet) and she did not know. Well now she said they want to do an ultra sound to make sure there is no obstruction and a parvo test. just to make sure. Burns sure likes to remind she is the vet ! My bill is well over a thousand now . Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut? Guess this is best for Buddy's sake. My brother who lives in mass told me if his dog was sick he wouldn't take him any where but Tufts animal clinic there and I know they have one in Gainsville Fl and now I am exploring them. My brother THINKS they have one in Miami. I am checking around to see. Well good thing I have insurance right ? I called them and they said they couldn't guarantee payment over the phone but I explained everything and she said he should be fine as long as it was not pre existing. Thought I would fill you guys in and Thanks Hero

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: good luck I hope everything goes ok with your baby

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes, please keep us posted. I am interested to see the outcome -- Banks had Giardia twice and NEVER did my vet say anything about the parvo or blockage potentials. We used the panacur and something esle... can't remember, but there were not any of those other ' concerns'.

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Well in reading around online. 2bullymama. I mentioned to the vets tech this morning that in reading about dogs with this that it can be difficult to diagnose because many dogs have it but not all are symptomatic. mostly puppys and that a dog can have parvo or an obstruction from something he ate and when they test the stool. he might have gardia but it might not be the cause of the diarhia. I think I might have opened my big mouth and at that point after speaking with the vet said we should check for parvo and first she said X ray but then went on to say and ultra sound would be better, just to make sure. Also I read it can be reoccuring and a real problem in general. I am waiting from a call from the vet or her tech now to see if the ultra sound found anything abnormal. I watch buddy pretty close and always have to take things out of his mouth that he picks up outdoors but I would hate to loose him to a rock or something he had lodged in his intestines and it would be pointless. I think. to treat for giardia when he had parvo. even thou he got the parvo vaccine from his breeder as well as booster or boosters from my vet. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks 2bullymama

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I hope it's good news..but I do want o know hats wrong with the poor guy. Yes..very good thing you have insurance..and the "No guarantee " comment is standard! I'm sure this hold be covered. Let us know..

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks for the support jakeisgreat. They are closed or don't answer their phone from 1pm to 3pm but I left a message and will try again at 3pm. Thanks everyone.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Keeping everything crossed for you that they find out the problem ... and yes your insurance could cover it because there is no way this was a pre-exisiting condition!!

Keep us informed!! :pray:

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
I just went and visited him. I called them and the tech said sure come on in and we will pull him out and you can visit him in one of the exam rooms. He had a big plastic thing around his head so he couldnt bite the iv line and she told me to hold the bag up and went and got a hanger thing for the iv soultion. He seemed fine except he couldnt throw his little head around like he usually does when playing or happy. I asked her when she thought I might be able to take him home and she said as soon as he EATS something. I didn't know that giardia supressed appitite like that or that they wouldnt eat but I guess its because his stomach is upset. Hero

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I sure hope he gets better soon, poor baby. Please keep us posted.

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks Davidh and Elearn, Yes I checked the recommended vets here but nothing is close to where I live. I found this woman ( vet) thru a woman on the BCA page who lives over on the other coast of Florida and she met this vet at a show. My vet breeds and shows frenchies, I called the univesity of florida in Gainesville Florida yesterday looking for a good vet and they gave me several names. My vet actually graduated from USF so who knows. I am just glad he is insured and want him to eat so he can come home. Hero

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

Being involved and owning many Bulldogs, I have experienced many of the events that you and others have listed here.

Many are common issues with Bulldogs. Knowing about them is important.

Again,,,,.....///// this is why education for Bulldog owners HAS to be paramount.

Good Day~

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks ABEBD, Buddy ate a little bit this morning. That is a good thing. He is playfull they said as well. I asked what my bill is so far and she came back with a $1145.00 I asked what the hpspital stay was daily and she said $45.00 Then ofcourse I asked when did think Buddy might be ready to come home and she said she thought by Friday. I am tempted to call and ask if I can visit him again today but I don't want them to think I am ridiculous if you know what I mean. I just want Buddy to know I am not abandoning him. I am going to be happy when he is home and Thank god for health insurance for pets.. Hero

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Thanks ABEBD, Buddy ate a little bit this morning. That is a good thing. He is playfull they said as well. I asked what my bill is so far and she came back with a $1145.00 I asked what the hpspital stay was daily and she said $45.00 Then ofcourse I asked when did think Buddy might be ready to come home and she said she thought by Friday. I am tempted to call and ask if I can visit him again today but I don't want them to think I am ridiculous if you know what I mean. I just want Buddy to know I am not abandoning him. I am going to be happy when he is home and Thank god for health insurance for pets.. Hero

If that's what they think, then go ahead and be as ridiculous as you can, take the visit, it's your bill, your baby, not there's

Members online

No members online now.