Help Needed! Gizmo's having eye & sight issues

Gizmosmama

Jul 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gizmo
My poor baby, we returned from a 15 day trip taking son back to school in Boston and visiting possible colleges. Well Gizmo, 10 years old female bulldog is apple of my eye and a month ago after ruling out everything vet could think of with blood and urine testing determined that she must have a brain tumor because she has a head tilt. I hesitated to leave her because she's just not right and have decided not to move forward with MRI and other expensive testing because I wouldn't put her through brain surgery at her age. BUT, now upon returning last night, she was in pretty rough shape, she doesn't seem to want to open her eyes, often sitting with her eyes almost closed and has a lot of discharge. (White film, can see it on the eyeballs) I used blink natural tears hoping it would help to clean it up a little but she doesn't seem happy. She really wants me to rub them which was fine, I used a soft cloth with cool water but wondering what is up. She seems like her vision has went from moderate to bad in a few weeks, she seems to plow through pine trees and lumbers through the yard aimlessley. I told everyone that she needs to be taken out on a lead so she has the security instead of trying to find her way (hello, you would think that my parents would have thought of that) I also had to clean up a mess she had on her back, I don't know if a tree branch tore out a bunch of hair or what, I have cleaned and put ointment on that as well. I really don't want to let her go, I just can't believe how much she has declined in the two weeks while we were away. Her eyes seem to be very blueish and the poor think cant see anything until you bring out a treat, then she will ploy you over to get to it. Obviously it's her sent taking over but she becomes alive when she hears the bag and smells the treat. I have an appointment to take her to vet on Wednesday a.m. unless they get a cancellation on Tuesday. Just wonderingis anyone has any advice in the meantime.

Sincerely,

Merideth

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh my i have no advice but lots of prayers and hugs. im sorry she and you are going through this. will be waiting for the vet report

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ohhhh...I'm so sorry. Honestly..I don't know much about eye specific diseases or problems..but I do have some experience with a brain tumor in a senior dog. Sight loss is a sign and can come on very quickly. Even with a brain tumor, the devastating symptoms can come out of the blue like a bolt of lightening. But the symptoms can ease and in turn many of the problems ease too. But when the symptoms return...the effects are often even more apparent. The blueness is her eyes is a sign of deterioration ..much like glaucoma .. The loss of eyesight isn't anything she can't adapt to. But you are correct..you or her caregiver will have to help her and make sure she's safe. I think it's so special to love an old dog. It's one of life's great lessons..and priveledges. :hug:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So sorry to hear about Gizmo's health issues.... I am tearfully praying for her and hope for better news during the vet visit. Hugs and prayers for both of you.

Please keep us posted.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I am so sorry you and Gizmo are going through this. I dont have any advice to give just hoping things get better. I know this is difficult for you and especially Gizmo...Hugs and constant prayers.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
[MENTION=5431]Gizmosmama[/MENTION] you probably know better than anyone her situation. She is a senior lady and will need you to care for her. [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] has experience with what you are going through. She got old quickly didn't she. Let us know what your vet says on Wednesday. If she like treats and gets excited about them, I say give her treats. Until then I've got prayers and well wishes for both of you.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So sorry to hear about Gizmo, we will keep her in our thoughts.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
awww from our Gizmo to your Gizmo, we send our thoughts and the best 'feel good vibes' we have

I didnt even know there was another Gizmo on here.

Please keep us upated when you can.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
The only other thought I could add to this is that if she was left to ramble through bushes and such like ... enough to hurt her back then could she also have walked through shrubs and branches and somehow hurt her eyes too??? Just a thought ......... sorry I couldn't come up with anything more useful than that! :nope:

📰 Latest posts

Members online