Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hives and sores????

Bulldog(s) Names
    fatz
    Likes (Received)

Default Hives and sores????

Hello This started a lil over 2 months ago, I notice my pup had be scratching a lot and caused a sore on his side. I bathed him, the noticed he had hives everywhere. i waited a couple days to see if they would go away, then i took him to the vet. All she could tell me was that he had a reaction to something. She shaved a couple spots on him and put him on Termaril tablets and gave me Animax ointment to rub onto to the spots she shaved that were pretty red... It got better in a week or so. she said he didn't have fleas's, he is on flea and tick prevention, I didnt change his food or anything, he has been on TOTW since i got him. He was doing pretty good, i bathed him last week and noticed the hives came back. So i was wondering is it the shampoo, a couple days later i notice the has sore under his coat again, I started giving him Benadryl last night, hoping that would clear it up.

Far as my yard its really nothing for him to get into no grass, no plants no anything. The vet did mention hit could of been a reaction to a bug bite as well. any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also I've sprayed my yard down twice with permethrin really well, to kill any fleas or ticks that could possibly be out there.

Thanks in advance

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hives and sores????

BRutus had the same thing...We noticed some hives but couldnt figure out what caused them as no change in anything...He only has a couple on his back and 2-3 on each leg (not big ones) Benadryl didnt really work ... Off to the vet and did a scraping to rule out mites...They said his hives caught a staph infection and were scabby...They gave us 750mg of cephalixn and maloseb wash 2 times a week now 2 weeks later its all gone and coat is great again. Can you take some pics for us to see them.
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

Bulldog(s) Names
    fatz
    Likes (Received)

Bulldog(s) Names
    fatz
    Likes (Received)

i dont know how to get the pics to show, let me know if that works...

thanks

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Do you keep him outside all the time? It could be the spray you put in the yard, or the shampoo, I'd try a different shampoo first.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Ann
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dublin
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChanelnBrutus View Post
    BRutus had the same thing...We noticed some hives but couldnt figure out what caused them as no change in anything...He only has a couple on his back and 2-3 on each leg (not big ones) Benadryl didnt really work ... Off to the vet and did a scraping to rule out mites...They said his hives caught a staph infection and were scabby...They gave us 750mg of cephalixn and maloseb wash 2 times a week now 2 weeks later its all gone and coat is great again. Can you take some pics for us to see them.

Sounds like that's what is going on... Dublin scratched a hive or a bite that she had on her neck. It looked nasty. I cleaned it up and put antibiotic ointment on it and then doused it with Gold Bond Powder to keep it dry and that worked for me. It is just a scab now and not inflamed.

Bulldog(s) Names
    fatz
    Likes (Received)

im gonna see what the net fe days brings hopefully the benadryl works... he isnt outside much at all, i just let him out like 15 20 minutes at a time to use the bathroom and he eats out there as well, and the first breakout was prior to the spray and bathing him... But i will use a different shampoo next time, im using furminator shampoo for shedding..

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

looks likes hives to me.... I would get rid of the shampoo, since nothing else has changed
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Try changing back the shampoo first and see if that works. I know one of my boys reacted t a different brand even though it was Maude for sensitive skin.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

If you can get Maloseb wash from your vet I would give that a shot. It works great.
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

@widebody you can use a mix of Apple cider vinegar and water as a rinse and leave it on. It balances the ph level
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tubs
    Likes (Received)

Tubs has the same thing!!!! His coat looks exactly the same way. The only thing was is that he only had it on one side the fist time it happened. We went through the same thing with him with the vet! The only thing I noticed was that it happened both times when I gave him a bath! The second time it is all over him. I have been bathing him with the same shampoo I have always bathed him with since his first bath. I didn't take him to the vet this time. I am going to see if he clears up himself with home treatment. I think I am going to wait until he clears up and try giving him a bath again. If it happens again I guess I will have to switch his shampoo. I haven't read all of the posts on this thread yet, so hopefully someone else had some good advice here!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by widebody View Post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads