Hives and sores????

widebody

Jun 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
fatz
Hello This started a lil over 2 months ago, I notice my pup had be scratching a lot and caused a sore on his side. I bathed him, the noticed he had hives everywhere. i waited a couple days to see if they would go away, then i took him to the vet. All she could tell me was that he had a reaction to something. She shaved a couple spots on him and put him on Termaril tablets and gave me Animax ointment to rub onto to the spots she shaved that were pretty red... It got better in a week or so. she said he didn't have fleas's, he is on flea and tick prevention, I didnt change his food or anything, he has been on TOTW since i got him. He was doing pretty good, i bathed him last week and noticed the hives came back. So i was wondering is it the shampoo, a couple days later i notice the has sore under his coat again, I started giving him Benadryl last night, hoping that would clear it up.

Far as my yard its really nothing for him to get into no grass, no plants no anything. The vet did mention hit could of been a reaction to a bug bite as well. any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also I've sprayed my yard down twice with permethrin really well, to kill any fleas or ticks that could possibly be out there.

Thanks in advance

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
BRutus had the same thing...We noticed some hives but couldnt figure out what caused them as no change in anything...He only has a couple on his back and 2-3 on each leg (not big ones) Benadryl didnt really work ... Off to the vet and did a scraping to rule out mites...They said his hives caught a staph infection and were scabby...They gave us 750mg of cephalixn and maloseb wash 2 times a week now 2 weeks later its all gone and coat is great again. Can you take some pics for us to see them.

OP
widebody

widebody

Jun 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
fatz
2012-09-10 15.52.55.jpg

OP
widebody

widebody

Jun 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
fatz
i dont know how to get the pics to show, let me know if that works...

thanks

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Do you keep him outside all the time? It could be the spray you put in the yard, or the shampoo, I'd try a different shampoo first.

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
BRutus had the same thing...We noticed some hives but couldnt figure out what caused them as no change in anything...He only has a couple on his back and 2-3 on each leg (not big ones) Benadryl didnt really work ... Off to the vet and did a scraping to rule out mites...They said his hives caught a staph infection and were scabby...They gave us 750mg of cephalixn and maloseb wash 2 times a week now 2 weeks later its all gone and coat is great again. Can you take some pics for us to see them.

Sounds like that's what is going on... Dublin scratched a hive or a bite that she had on her neck. It looked nasty. I cleaned it up and put antibiotic ointment on it and then doused it with Gold Bond Powder to keep it dry and that worked for me. It is just a scab now and not inflamed.

OP
widebody

widebody

Jun 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
fatz
im gonna see what the net fe days brings hopefully the benadryl works... he isnt outside much at all, i just let him out like 15 20 minutes at a time to use the bathroom and he eats out there as well, and the first breakout was prior to the spray and bathing him... But i will use a different shampoo next time, im using furminator shampoo for shedding..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
looks likes hives to me.... I would get rid of the shampoo, since nothing else has changed

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Try changing back the shampoo first and see if that works. I know one of my boys reacted t a different brand even though it was Maude for sensitive skin.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
If you can get Maloseb wash from your vet I would give that a shot. It works great.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
[MENTION=5242]widebody[/MENTION] you can use a mix of Apple cider vinegar and water as a rinse and leave it on. It balances the ph level

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
Tubs has the same thing!!!! His coat looks exactly the same way. The only thing was is that he only had it on one side the fist time it happened. We went through the same thing with him with the vet! The only thing I noticed was that it happened both times when I gave him a bath! The second time it is all over him. I have been bathing him with the same shampoo I have always bathed him with since his first bath. I didn't take him to the vet this time. I am going to see if he clears up himself with home treatment. I think I am going to wait until he clears up and try giving him a bath again. If it happens again I guess I will have to switch his shampoo. I haven't read all of the posts on this thread yet, so hopefully someone else had some good advice here!!!!!

OP
widebody

widebody

Jun 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
fatz
Thanks everyone... Im going to change his shampoo... i have some shampoo from the vet from a previous dog, with skin issues, i may try that.. this evening

OP
widebody

widebody

Jun 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
fatz
OK im back again i took my boo to be groomed and they washed him with some special kind of shampoo forgot what they called it. He didn't hive up, But a few days later he is scratching again really bad.. the bottom of his stomach is really red and raw from digging, I gave him a benadryl, but he still seems irritated. I wanted to get you guys opinion before i decide to take him back to the vet again tomorrow... I have noticed that when he goes out to use the bath room its alot of nets around him when he come back. Im not sure if nets bite, but could they be the problem?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sounds like Boo is certainly having an allergic reaction to something! If he has a skin infection, it will take some detective work to discover what it is. :detective: Possibly antibiotics to help get it under control. The first pic you posted kinda looks like a hot spot, which is usually due to food. Any new treats? Also many times they can develop an allergy to a food they have had no problems on before. Other things to think of is laundry soap, new bedding, carpets, toys, chews, shampoo (already discussed...)?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.