General Question Diareaha/ possible blood in stool/ won't eat

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Palm Beach County Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hello everyone I am starting a new thread because I am afriad I may not get any feedback on the other and want to thank everyone for their quick replies and suggestions. Well my 5 month old puppy had dareaha all day yesterday although he was playfull and eating so I was not too concerned. Last night he was up all night with diariha again with what possibly could be blood in it although I do not know. Now this morning he wouldn't eat vieana sausage ( which I usually put his 2 acidophilious pills in nor would he eat any of the libbys pumpkin. I even tried a bit of yogurt. He won't eat now and I am getting very concerned. My vet doesn't open until 10 am and it is 635 am here. If I thought he was dieing I would take him to an emergency but those people can be really expensive. He started to play a bit this morning but just kind of chewed on one of his stuffed toys. He eventually came up ( I brought him up on the sofa with me) and he put his head on mt leg and went to sleep. Well I put him in his crate in the living room and am watching him. I am hoping he didn't get a hold of something he canot pass as in blockage. Thanks everyone for the pumpkin suggestion but like I said he won't eat. If he doesnt eat by 10 am I think it is best to take him to the vet. Hero

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
It sounds like a trip to the vet is the best plan. And waiting is so hard. :pray: hoping everything turns out ok. Keep us posted.

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Yup. He is sleeping right now but if he doesn't eat something when he wakes up . he's going. I am glad I have health insurance for him, it costs alot each month but they do pay off fast ( 2 weeks) and if by any chance ( god forbid) he suffers from dispasia problems it is covered as well. My vet told me each hip is like 4k to replace or fix. anyways Thanks and waiting. Hero

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Good luck Hero - just let him get some rest now. If he was up all night, he's probably just sleepy and a little weak from not eating. When he wakes up, you might want to try mixing the pumpkin in with his kibble for breakfast and see if he'll eat it that way. But still try to go to the vet this morning since he has what might be blood in his stool.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
If you can, [MENTION=5798]Hero4u2b[/MENTION], get a FRESH stool sample to take to the vet's with you.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sounds like he may have a parasite which is easily addressed with meds.... be sure to take a :poo: sample with you to the vet for testing.

Good luck... give him hugs from us and keep us posted

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks everyone and 2bullymama you are correct. I just got back from the vets and she took blood from his neck or throat area and a stool sample and evidentlly Buddy has something called Giardia and told me he probably got it from drinking standing water. Well all I can think is that where I live in the hall on the way to the elevator it is open and rain can and does come in an can accumulate in small puddles until maitenece squidges it out or the sun drys it up and on the way Buddy ( his head is low to the ground) does try and drink or lick it on the way and I always try to keep it from him but he must of got it there because other than that I have no idea where he could have contacted Giardia. I asked her how much and she presented me with an itemized biill ( although) not the final bill and it is $605.00. She said she could give him oral meds but chances are he would vomit them up and she thought IV meds would be better and so now Buddy is in the hospital for a day or 2 getting hydtrated and treated for Giardia. Any thoughts on this anyone? Thanks Hero

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I have never dealt with Giardia but from what I have heard it can be hard to get rid of...You got the meds so he should be on the road to recovery...Glad you took him in when you knew ssomething wast right...Others will be by with advice on this

You can also put giardia in the search box to look through older threads :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Thanks everyone and 2bullymama you are correct. I just got back from the vets and she took blood from his neck or throat area and a stool sample and evidentlly Buddy has something called Giardia and told me he probably got it from drinking standing water. Well all I can think is that where I live in the hall on the way to the elevator it is open and rain can and does come in an can accumulate in small puddles until maitenece squidges it out or the sun drys it up and on the way Buddy ( his head is low to the ground) does try and drink or lick it on the way and I always try to keep it from him but he must of got it there because other than that I have no idea where he could have contacted Giardia. I asked her how much and she presented me with an itemized biill ( although) not the final bill and it is $605.00. She said she could give him oral meds but chances are he would vomit them up and she thought IV meds would be better and so now Buddy is in the hospital for a day or 2 getting hydtrated and treated for Giardia. Any thoughts on this anyone? Thanks Hero

Since he is not eating and vomiting I think this is a good treatment, and I agree with your vet (shocker!). At least until they can get him to hold down his food and take oral meds.. Please keep us updated on what they do next it could help others in the future... Hugs to you both xx

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Giardia is a nasty parasite and if you have others pets....do not let them drink from same bowl or get near the poo... It is contagious. Banks had it once but not as severe.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I agree that it's good that he be watched by your vet for a little bit seeing it's a difficult parasite. And good thing you have insurance, at least that's one thing that you won't need to worry about! Sending good vibes that Buddy will get well soon! :pray:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I hope he gets better soon and happy you took him in when you did. Hugs his way.

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks everyone for everything. I wrote the breeder where we got him in Missorui and she said it is very common and they treat it with Panacur and Flagyl. He isn't on the panacur but the flagyl. Can't wait to pick him up I miss him. I washed all his toys in hot water and bleach and disinfected his crate and am cleaning the house as I speak trying to find all the places where he went # 2 and disinfecting it. Again Thanks everyone for the support. Hero

Staff online

Members online