Help Needed! Pimple-like rash on neck, stomach, and under rear legs?!

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
My 3 mo old bully has broken out in a rash!! I first noticed it on her neck - like where her collar goes - and it's like thick pimples. There were only a few, but her collar hasn't bothered her before. It's leather and nothing has changed with it - and she hardly ever wears it. Then I saw her stomach, right by her rear legs - ALL broken out in the same rash!

I'm stumped as to what would cause it on both her neck and stomach. I had recently had problems with her peeing in her crate, and was advised to purchase Nature's Miracle because my laundry detergent (which I have used for her bedding with no issues many times) may not be getting the urine enzymes out. I spritzed her blankets with it and let them dry before returning them to her crate. I noticed the rash the next day, so I assumed it must be from that! So I instead purchased the Laundry kind of Nature's Miracle and rewashed all her bedding with that. The rash has stayed the exact same (the same pimples in the same spots) but the crate peeing stopped, so there's that. I also have been putting hydrogen peroxide on the rash daily, but to no avail! I also called my local pet store and they said Nature's Miracle was one of the most mild pet cleaners and that it most likely was not the cause.

The other thing was that she used a Pet Loo (fake grass patch) to potty on, and I had washed her grass that day. Maybe I didn't rinse it as well as I thought and the cleaner I used irritated her tummy. BUT that doesn't explain why it's on her neck! I don't let her roll or play on her Loo and she's supervised when using it.

The rash doesn't hurt or itch her at all. She hasn't been scratching at it, and I can touch it with no reaction from her. What could it be? Has anyone had anything similar with their babies?

It's been like this since about Friday, I'll be taking her to the vet tomorrow, but I am just curious!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I've no ideas for you --- and 53 other folks looked at this post and thought the same thing, apparently.

On the belly, Bo gets little dot like bumps which aren't zits at all but little hives; reactions to chicken. Cut grass gives a similar -- but larger -- bump. He does not however, get bumps on his neck - ever. So that one bothers me a bit. Could be food, could be the soap or the plastic loo --- could be lots of things or nothing at all. That's the supreme challenge here and you're doing it right via the process of elimination. A look from the vet to make sure it's not something serious and then, start watching everything that goes in / on / near the pup. Good luck. We've all been thru something similar, I'm certain.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Even though Nature;s Miracle is mild does not mean it would not have an effect on her...... I would remove it totally and rewash her bedding in hot water with what you used previously and see if it goes away.

Try hydrocortizone on the rash instead of peroxide.

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Thank you both for your replies! The vet said it's a staph infection. He gave me antibiotics and told me to come back in 5 days if the bumps aren't gone. So strange though! He said it just comes from the skin membrane!

Sep 13, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Scarlet
Scarlet had this when she was young. I took her to the vet and they told me it was a type of puppy-hood mange. Not contagous, just something they can get if their immune system is batteling an infection of some sort. Vet gave her a special bath every week for 3-4 weeks. Vet also said we should not have a problem once her immune system is back in check and she gets older. Scarlet is 1yr. 7m now and we have not had another problem like that.

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Bumps are gone! Thankfully! Matilda was put on the antibiotic Simplicef and the rash disappeared in about a week. He also gave me a special shampoo that seemed to help a lot with the already existing bumps!

Kassie

May 15, 2012
Alabama
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus McGee
i am bumping this post bc this was my current search. Rufus has a very similar rash, and we think we have found the culprit-stagnate pool...terrible bully mom, i know :( We will see how the Benedryl works and the cider mixture smells to high heaven, but if it helps my man its worth it!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
does she play rough with another pup by chance? Teeth can cause little tears in the skin which can get this way. Miila had them all inside her legs when her and Cutty first started playing cuz it was over the top I think. I took pics even and posted here. Think the vet did say it was a form of an infection caused by lesions. Watched the pups carefully and turned out that was from Cuttys teeth where he would grab Miila's turkey legs and tug. lol Pics would help.

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
i am bumping this post bc this was my current search. Rufus has a very similar rash, and we think we have found the culprit-stagnate pool...terrible bully mom, i know :( We will see how the Benedryl works and the cider mixture smells to high heaven, but if it helps my man its worth it!

I'm sorry this is happening to your baby! Matilda's rash got worse and worse until we got antibiotics. The vet said that with bullies, staph infections just come from the skin membrane. There is nothing that can really be done besides antibiotics :( Good luck! The drugs were only about $10 at my vet... (however, the 30 seconds that the vet came in to tell me it was a staph infection was $40... ugh)

Jasmin

Jun 28, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
My puppy has the exact same Thing and also peed in his crate since he got this. Die you Find Out of or had anything to do With it? Hope you still remember :(

WhitneyBlanche

Mar 3, 2015
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
My puppy has the exact same Thing and also peed in his crate since he got this. Die you Find Out of or had anything to do With it? Hope you still remember :(

My 15 month old had something similar to this- it began just a few weeks ago. I began giving her a benadryl once a day as well as a spoonful of plain yogurt and it is clearing up quickly! I believe it is a grass allergy. The benadryl helps with the rash and the yogurt is meant to boost her immune system in order to fight the allergy better.
I would say try the benadryl once a day and see if it improves.
She is 38 lbs so I give her one 25 mg benadryl a day. If he is under 25 lbs don't give him a full benadryl, maybe cut the pill in half. He should receive no more than 1 mg per pound.

I doubt this would work if it is a staph infection though so it might be a good idea to take him to the vet just to be safe.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.