General Question Worry wart strikes again - eye question

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I noticed that one of Herman's eyes has always looked bigger than the other, but I figured it was just the 'eye liner' and shadows, etc. And they always seemed kind of red (I just figured his eyes were naturally red, until I learned it might be allergies). So I pay a lot of attention now to see how red they are when we come outside.

So, today in my investigation, I noticed that one looks bigger because its not black in the inner corner like the other. I can never get him to look at me directly so I was finally able to see it today. I found a picture that shows this so you can see what I'm talking about. In the eye on the left, everything is pink - in the one on the right its all black.

Is this just pigment? Is it a problem with the third eyelid? Am I just over-paranoid? LOL

hermaneye.jpg

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
it's possible one eyelid is a bit droopier than the other, that's all I'm seeing from the picture...is he bothered by it? Scratching, keeping it shut, eye-boogers more in that one than the other? Nictitating membranes (the "third" eye lid) shouldn't be an issue unless you suspect cherry eye problems...
Mainly the photos look fine, but keep an eye out for a cherry eye, that could be an issue in the future.

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Thanks [MENTION=5363]Taylor[/MENTION] - its not bothering him. Seems like he's always had it. The lower lids are the same, but it looks like either the membrane (black) is only showing on his left eye, or the one on the right is a different color (?).

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks' eyes are like this too.... our vet said it is nothing at all and is just a discoloration

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I can sence a bit of over-paranoia there, but we've all been there....from what I can see in the pic it's just pigmentation.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Yes!

LOL

Just Kidding.... Herman has great eyes!!! seriously... dont believe me go thru the pix and look at some of them. His eyes are clear and wide open. That's what you look for..... minor redness isn't a great concern. ;)

ps: I just want to just give him a big smoooch on his cutsey nose.. LOL

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Ok, thanks all for the reassurance that I still have my status of a worry-wart LOL

I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't an indication of something wrong with my baby's eye that I can prevent now :(

[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] - that's his own little pet doggie on his nose (a guy at the vet pointed out that it was shaped like a dog). LOL but it seems to be filling in now, slowly.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Ok, thanks all for the reassurance that I still have my status of a worry-wart LOL

I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't an indication of something wrong with my baby's eye that I can prevent now :(

@BruceP - that's his own little pet doggie on his nose (a guy at the vet pointed out that it was shaped like a dog). LOL but it seems to be filling in now, slowly.

I dont know if I have said this before, but you take great pix.... I hope you are entering the photo of the month contests! ;)

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
He is perfect...I used to notice Brutus had very very droopy eyes now that he is filling out Im noticing its not as droopy anymore :)

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I dont know if I have said this before, but you take great pix.... I hope you are entering the photo of the month contests! ;)

Thank you!! I will try to enter one of the contests for sure. I want to get more pics of him - for his 2012 scrapbook LOL

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
His eyes look great to me! One of Jackson's eyes is lined w/ black and the other isn't, so it makes it look like one of his eyes is bigger than the other. We just say he has a "black eye and a white eye" lol

I think it's cool he has two different colors - he has all white nails, with one black one and one that is half black/half white. so one black eye fits in with his color scheme LOL

Members online

No members online now.