General Question Diareha/ possible blood in stool ?

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Palm Beach County Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hello everyone. I am a new ebd owner and Today my almost 5 month old puppy has had diareaha 4 or 5 times. each time we went outdoors. I also think it was blood in his stool this past time and I am getting a bit concerned. I am always looking for new things for my puppy to teeth on and yesterday I had went to the store and bought him a "Bully stick and also something called. Natural bones ( peanut butter flavored) a pack of them. These are the only NEW things that he has had and I am thinking if he doesn't get better by tomorrow by noonish or shortly afterword - I might want to take him to the vet. He seems to be acting fine. playfull ect but If anyone has had any experience when it comes to this or advice I would appreciate it.. Thanks Hero

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
hm yea id cut out the new stuff but im not much help with puppies. i think you can give them some canned pumpkin (not pie filling) to help the stool not sure bout the blood. ill tag some peeps who maybe able to help. [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] hopefully someone will be along soon.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes... stop all the new stuff, put away what he may have left of them for now. Give some canned pumpkin to help solidify the :poo: but if the morning :poo: is still diarrhea and you do see blood spots... get a sample to the vet for testing. Could have something brewing in him and it is best to get it early

keep us posted

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Hi [MENTION=5798]Hero4u2b[/MENTION] ! The diarrhea is concerning and the blood in the stool is even more concerning. I would have your puppy checked out at the vet as soon as you can get there. I tend to worry especially with a youngster like yours when he's experiencing such symptoms. It is good to hear that he's acting "normal" however. Please keep us updated.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
The stomach lining of a young puppy is sensitive. Bully sticks aren't the best treat to give any dog because of choking. Coccidia is a parasite that also could cause blood in the stool also. I would first stop all treats that are store bought. I know we think we are making them happy by feeding them this stuff, but in the long run, we are actually hurting them. Ingredients from China is deadly. (sometimes) Give your pup a frozen blueberry or green bean or even a bit of crushed ice. Plain canned pumpkin can be added on one of the meals a day to stiffin up the poop. About a tablespoon. If this doesn't clear up in a day, you should see a vet and take a stool sample along.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Hero - make sure its the 100% pure pureed pumpkin, the brand I get is Libbys and it's next to the pumpkin pie filling. But don't get the pumpkin pie filling. It really helps, so please try that tonight. Get more than one can and keep them in your cupboard.

Maybe try the Nylabones and soak them in some chicken broth and freeze them for teething. I think some people even boil them in chicken broth before freezing, just to get the some of chicken flavor in it. Also, try some frozen fruits (strawberries, blueberries) and frozen veggies (carrots), or freeze some of these in ice cubes.

Good luck Hero, Buddy will be just fine!!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would throw the bully sticks away, they are bad news. If it is only a little blood in the stool it is from the diarrhea and should be gone tomorrow. I would try the pumpkin first, about a tablespoon full.

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks everyone. I am going to the store early before its time for Buddy to be brought outdoors ( awoke) for the pumpkin Pie. If he still has diareaha I will save a sample and bring it along to the vet with him a bit later. Appreciate all the replies. Hero

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Update. Buddy was up all night with diariha. I bought a few cans of Libbys 100% pumpkin in a can. I am about to wake him up with our usual trip outdoors and then back inside for his acidophilious pills and the pumpkin. Thanks everyone. Hero

Members online

No members online now.