Help Needed! Kidney Stones

tomie

Sep 8, 2012
Wheatfield, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive, Watson
Hello

I was wondering if anyone has any input about kidney stones. Our 5yr 11mth old, Olive, has just been diagnosed with them. I'm very worried about her, just not "herself". I am new to the site and I hope I get this out to you. I have learned so much reading different topics on the site. Its wonderful!

Thanks to all

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm so relieved to see you got this posted. Give it a bit of time for everyone to find this..I'll tag a few members to see if they might be able to give you any insight. Hang in there!

[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]..[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]..[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]..[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION]

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh i wish i had some input about this but i dont. i so hope someone comes along soon that might be able to help. twice should be able to help as her abby has kidney issues. will be praying for you and for a speedy recovery.

angelIV

Aug 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
philly
hi, i have no experience on dogs regarding kidney stones, but in humans we usually give allopurinol dosing depends on the size, did some online google search (allopurinol for dogs)and i found a link that it can be given to dogs. but this is by the vets preference. allopurinol breaks down the stone and eliminated thru urine. in humans depending on the size if its to big, surgery is recommended since its very painful and can create complications for the patient. I wish this information can help in some way.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN..... I have no experience, but [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] will be able to assist.... she should be along soon

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
What is the vet doing for her? Gracie has battled kidney stones all summer. Lots of antibiotics, apple cider vinegar in her water.

OP
T

tomie

Sep 8, 2012
Wheatfield, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive, Watson
Thank you very much. Your information did help. LOVE the photo of Philly!!

OP
T

tomie

Sep 8, 2012
Wheatfield, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive, Watson
Hi...The vet had Olive on antibiotics for a UTI but it didnt go away. They did a sterile urine sample, sonogram and x ray. Waiting to hear back about urine sample. It was Friday when Olive was at vet, so should know today results of urine. I hope Gracie is better. She looks so lovely in her green outfit!! Thanks so very much for your reply...

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
First, I am sorry that your girl is dealing with kidney stones. All kidney issues suck but stones can be painful. Second, I'm sorry that I didn't see this yesterday.

There are several different types of stones. Did the doctor say which type she has? Calcium oxalate are the most common so I'm going to assume she has those?

The doctor probably gave her that Hills s/d right? It's up to you but I would throw that crap away. They will tell you that it's been proven to dissolve the stones but so have other, healthier, less expensive diets. My own, personal opinion is that if I can't pronounce the ingredients, it can't be good for you and we don't eat it. If I were you I'd start homecooking for her. The doctors probably also told you to reduce her protein intake, I'm not a doctor but 5 years old is still pretty young so I think that's the last thing you should do. High quality protein is what she needs. Real meat, raw if possible. Raw meat is 80% moisture and you need to keep her hydrated so she keeps producing urine. You will also have to limit her magnesium, calcium and phosphorous content. You can use a site like nutritiondata to help you figure out what foods are good to give her to create your own menu ideas. The USDA also has a great searchable database that you can use. http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] if I'm not allowed to post that link, please tell me and I will remove it.

I don't do raw with Abby (she doesn't handle meat protein well). Instead I have her on vegetables and green tripe. I have about 100 kidney friendly recipes already worked out that I can share with you if that's the road you choose to go down.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
My bullie has had bladder stones due to a defected HUU-gene. The trait can occur in any breed but is most commonly found in the Dalmatian, Bulldog and Black Russian Terrier. Bulldogs can have othet type of stones too. It's vitally important to find out what kind of stones she has so you can treat her right. If she has urate stones and you give her vinegar you're throwing petrol to the flames.
I refuse to feed my dog that terrible kibble and he's doing great on raw. No stones or crystals since his operation. Depending on your dogs type of stones I can offer you some help with the raw feeding If you choose to that way. There's a very good site dogaware.com where you can find a lot of help with nutrition for stone forming dogs.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
No advice here sorry...Just checking in to see how Olive is doing?

OP
T

tomie

Sep 8, 2012
Wheatfield, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive, Watson
Hi Twice, Thank you so very much for all your input. The results from her urine samples haven't come back yet. I'm hoping Wednesday we will have more info. I agree with you about the Hills diet. I already made up my mind that if it is suggested to me, the answer will be NO WAY.. I will look at the web sites you recomended.
Thanks again, Love the photo. What a cutie!!

OP
T

tomie

Sep 8, 2012
Wheatfield, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive, Watson
Hi Riisi,

Thank you very much for info. Still waiting for results from vet. Hoping tomorrow. I feel much better about her situation now after all the information you caring people have given me. Love the smile on Usko

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.