blood in stool?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
So this morning Cutty came in after pooping and was doing his "gimme a treat" dance so I checked his booty and there was blood. He didnt seem to care or notice and has been fine this whole day and even leading up to it so I dont know what to make of it. There wasnt any poop in the yard that looked extra firm or had blood even so not sure what caused it. Do they get hemorrhoids maybe? Any thoughts?

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Blood in the stool can be very alarming but there are lot of innocuous causes for it. Did you happen to see any soft stools? I am guessing not since you didn't mention it but blood can be present when the intestines are inflamed from diarrhea and it goes away once things settle down.

Was the blood bright red or darker? That will give you a good idea where it's coming from - if it's bright he could have something around his anus bothering him but if it's darker, it could be from the intestines.

Anyway, since you didn't find anything obvious in the yard, I wouldn't panic but I would keep a sharp eye on things from this point forward to see if you can pinpoint a cause.

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
I think it was more a bright red otherwise I may have not noticed it so much, wasnt the brightest room. For some reason both boys stools are kinda soft right now but not so much as to say loose either. So far he has been totally fine today so far but I will be watching for him tomorrow when he poops.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh no! I have not had this at all... But a friend stayed at our house one time with her two minpins and one of them pooped blood for 3 days straight. She didn't take her to the vet either- which surprised the heck outta me. But whatever it was, it passed. Now that I can look back I bet it was stress from not being in their usual home.

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh my gosh, 3 days?!?!?! Yes we would be at the vets for sure in that case! Scary! Well I have to say my boys have been extra gassy lately also so I dont know what is going on there, maybe it is all tied in like Jillh10 said, inflamed bowels? I am still switching foods over from the avoderm to fromm and it is too slow for my taste but I had a good amount left and was anxious to start the switch. They are just staying at 2/1 of new to old right now and have been there for a while, till we get rid of the old and can switch fully. Cant imagine the switch would do this unless it is the fromm making them so gassy? Then again I have tried to cut out most dog treats and give more veggies so maybe the lima beans and green beans are overkill? Not that I have given them all that much, not even everyday do they get them. Hmm.... lets just hope tomorrow we dont see any blood and all is back to normal.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I had no problems with switching anyone to Fromm. But it was different formulas. As a matter of fact, none of my bullies are gassy at all. Jesse was clearing the room on royal canine!! Unless I have become immune to the smell? LOL

laurentourville

Wrinkle Wiper
Mar 23, 2010
Rockingham, VT
Bulldog(s) Names
Horse
Horse had blood in his stool a few months ago, it was in streaks on the outside of his poop, not mixed in, and it was fresh blood. So, after a stool sample turned up nothing, I brought him into the vet and it turned out to be infected anal glands. The vet expressed them and we go back every few months now to get them expressed.

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Never would have thought of anal glands. Cutty has never needed his expressed but you never know. Didnt see any blood on any stools but I will be checking this morning when he goes.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Aww poor Cutty, glad doesn't seem to be bothering him! I used to freak out about everything with Samson, being that he was my first dog living out on my own. Now I know to be a bit less worisome. I have seen this like once or twice at the most I think with Samson but it was always a one time thing and he was fine after that. He has always had regular exams, parasite testing, has had multiple blood tests throughout his life so I assumed unless it continues or gets worse he is fine. I know you take good care of your pups Jenn so I am sure it'll be the same case for Cutty :)

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Well havent seen any more and he had 2 poops yesterday so I guess it was a random thing. Very weird. Thanks for all the input! This site is so great that when you have a worry you can come here and know if it is something to stress over! :D

[MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION] I am curious if you got those glucosamine treats also? Am trying to think what can be making my boys SO gassy and then realized I started with them a few weeks ago also. Have you noticed any smells coming from samson? lol

arimaeis

Aug 14, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ms. Piggy
I just went through this myself this past week. It was bright red, not mixed into the feces but streaked on it. It was inflamed anal glands in Piggy's case.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I am curious if you got those glucosamine treats also? Am trying to think what can be making my boys SO gassy and then realized I started with them a few weeks ago also. Have you noticed any smells coming from samson? lol

You know right before they came Samson's allergies started to flare up so I didn't want to start giving them to him yet. I'm not sure if there is anything in them that he would have a reaction to or if it would really make it any worse but I just wanted to be cautious. Also I just started the Fromm right before that and I decided it wouldn't be best to introduce 2 new things at the same time. If his allergies got worse I didn't want to be confused as to if it was caused by those supplements or the Fromm.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
So Fromm reduces gas? I haven't tried that because I'd have to drive about 90 minutes to get it. But they are both sooo gassy! Maybe I should consider making the drive...

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online