Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5 yr old Bandit may need ACL surgery? Need impute asap!!!!!!!

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: 5 yr old Bandit may need ACL surgery? Need impute asap!!!!!!!

You've had great advice from people who know so much more about this than me. So I can't help except maybe suggest he be kept as quiet as possible until that next vet appointment.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Gracie and Oliver
    Likes (Received)

Dogs who can recover without surgery will show that they are re-stabilizing the joint beginning within 8 weeks of carefully restricting activity. That is the best treatment choice. Restrict activity for 8 weeks and see how he/she does. If no improvement, a custom made brace to hold bones in proper alignement while the body builds the permanent fibrous scar tissue stabilization. If neither of these work (restriction including brace) then conventional stabilizing surgery would be appropriate. The surgeries, particularily TPLO are pretty horrendous and you will need to restrict movement for weeks after the surgery anyway... always try for non-surgerical remedies when possible; I was recommended tplo but chose the wait and see and my dog was back to perfect form in 3 weeks... its been a year since the incident... she is great.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
    Likes (Received)

My Frankie had a torn ACL long before i adopted him (it was never repaired). As he got older he had hip problems due to favoring one leg more then the other (you couldn't tell by looking.. but he was putting stress on his hips). I would recommend, what ever you decide, make sure you are keeping an eye on the big picture. Diet, weight and supplements will help reduce any long term after-effects.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads