Help Needed! What to do about this vet/ear problem (and a little vent too)

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
So not too long ago I posted about cleaning Charlotte's ears. I didn't really trust anyone at Petco and I couldn't get her to let me bring ANYTHING (tissue, cottonball, etc) near her ears, so I decided I would take her to the vet, and then work on maintaining clean ears (slowly adjusting to get her to let me clean them)
So Tuesday morning we went to the vet, a vet-tech took her into an exam room (without me) and cleaned her ears. I asked how it went, she told me it was great. Didn't say anything about the condition of her ears, or suggestions on getting them done more/less often, or anything. I paid and went home.
The rest of the day Char kept shaking her head, and I assumed maybe she still had some of the cleaning liquid in her ears, and just let her go.
Wednesday I caught a funny smell and wasn't sure about it, but Wednesday night I knew it was definitely coming from her ears, and her ears smelled AWFUL.
Thursday she started rubbing her face on the carpet, scratching her ears, and she didn't sleep at all last night. So I called the vet.
They basically told me that it's not possible that she got an ear infection from having her ears cleaned. What about cross contamination? If someone forgot to clean the bottle? How would this just happen to show up after she had them cleaned?
I explained her symptoms and they told me someone had canceled an appointment tonight so I was able to get her in.
When I arrived they asked if I wanted to just have her tested for the infection, or if I wanted to see a vet. I said I feel that some sort of mistake was made because it seems like more than a coincidence that she developed a horrific ear infection just after they cleaned her ears, when previously they were fine. No discharge, no smell, no sensitivity, no scratching.
"I've been cleaning dogs ears for 10 years and no dog has ever gotten an ear infection from cleaning" Well how would you explain what happened? So I guess that meant I wanted to see a vet. So a tech came in, did the swab to test for an infection. The vet came in, checked her heart and felt her belly and told me she seemed healthy but as a bulldog owner I should already know that they are prone to skin,eye,ear,and breathing problems and that this was probably manifesting before the cleaning, and the tech probably "stirred it up"...In a joking manner she added "Yeah, some other vets love seeing English Bulldogs because they just see dollar signs, they always have something"...Charlotte has no allergies, her teeth/nose/breathing/skin/eyes look great and she's not had any ear problems until now.
I was given three different medicines for two weeks.
No one apologized or offered anything and I still feel that somehow this was a fault of theirs. I didn't trust the petstores so I paid extra to have the vet do it, and then she comes down with an infection and I ended up paying for a veterinarian appointment, ear infection test, and three antibiotics?
I also asked how often I should clean her ears on a normal basis and I was told once per day. Wouldn't that be more harm than good?? Everyday?

So after the rant, my questions:
I'm feeling really upset because I feel that my dog may have been mistreated (causing the infection) and then no one offered to correct the problem (without charging me an arm and a leg). I understand they couldn't give me free antibiotics or analysis tests, but was the charge for the vet visit merited?
Should I really be cleaning her ears daily? this just seems obsessive.
Would you switch vets? I really felt comfortable at our first visit (when I got Char) but now I wonder if I should consider going somewhere else.

Any other advice would be great too..I'm just not happy with this whole situation and wondering if I could have prevented it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Daily cleaning is not necessary unless there is an infection.... I check ears once a week and clean as needed.. I do flush once a month especially during allergy seasons. I would be looking for another vet... I would think Char gave some fight since she does not like her ears being touched and they did not tell you ... and you are damn skippy I'd be looking for a new vet

Zoey1974

Bully's Bikes and Books!
Jun 25, 2012
Lake Milton, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
I absolutely agree with 2BullyMama. I also would get a new vet. That tech should have taken you in and shown you what they were doing since that is the sole reason you were there. I'm not sure I understand the theory that the tech "stirred up" an infection? Really? I hope some of the experts can clear this up for us!

BullDogGunner

May 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner
First I am sorry your baby had this issue. Second, I would definitely switch Vets. While it may be common practice to take the puppy/dog to a room and do the cleaning without you, that is a HUGE no-no for me. Vet Techs, as trained as they are, are not Vets, therefore, their hands are the same as mine, and I do not leave my dog with them without me. Thirdly, if you are not comfortable, you will second guess them each and everytime, which in turn could $$$ add up.

If I don't have a good report with my Vet; I feel my dog does not get good treatment. Just my 2 cents.

*** Disclaimer here*** I just had a run in at my Vet's office with the overly pushy, not very informed Vet Tech that decided to play Vet, and while I am not changing Vet's, I assure you I will not see that Vet Tech again. So that is where I am coming from.

OP
Taylor

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
Thanks for your replies, I'm glad to hear your opinions and I will be looking for a new vet :)

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I would email the Vet and tell them my thoughts....... and then look for a new vet. Why just walk away? At least you can help the next customer.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I just hate the vets and a lot of other people too that think that because it's a bullie it must have all these troubles with it's health. I deninedly would switch vets and also let them know why. There's no need to clean her ears daily if there's no trouble. Not surprisingly food has a lot to do with ear health, what are you feeding her?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
wow, trust your gut and switch vets. Too bad finding one that you do trust is never easy, for me at least. I would find a bully vet if you have one locally. My pups just get their ears wiped out with baby wipes every week or 2. They are never dirty but the pups LOVE having me rub their ears to make sure they are clean. lol

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
In the future, I would be in the room with my baby, to have her ears cleaned, you have that right, you are the 'parent' --

Could of Cross contamination happened? Yes, its possible (anything is) Could the Vet handle it differently? Yes they could of, however, if you were upset going in there, and insisting it was their fault off the get go, then the Vet wont handled it differently.

SOOOOOOOO Much depends on the customers attitude when it comes to customer service - If the customer is angry and combative - they USUALLY wont get to far with me. If they are calm and civil, hell I'll write off whatever I can, and go above and beyond for that client. (PC industry) You would not believe how many times I got blamed for their 'PC not working' when all I did was walk pasted their office ! (never touched their pc)..

So anyway... it was handled badly on several points. Hopefully if your vet has in the past given you great service, you'll stay with them (if you still trust them) if they havent given you great service, then its time to shop around.

Good luck with the Ears ! ! ! ! :)

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I would look for a new vet as well, Bacon never leaves us when we go to the vet unless he is have surgery(IE when he got snipped and chipped) other then that we are always with him from start to finish. I'm not sure why they didn't bring you in to clean his ears which is why you were there to begin with. As far as cross contamination and "stirring up" I have no vet/medical background so I can't comment on that with anything other then my opinion, so I won't. Good luck finding a new vet and I hope your pupper get well soon.

roanne9145

Apr 11, 2010
Palmyra New York
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Apple, Grudge, Chisel and Rukus
The main fact is he/she didn't take you in with them to clean the ears and show you how they do it.....I personally hate cleaning ears. My vet showed me how she does it without dumping the fluid in the ears... and instead puts it on the cotton ball then squishes it around and then takes 1 or 2 dry cotton balls and cleans it out. She was wrong not taking you in to show you but I do hope you insist next time or leave...Good luck with your baby. Oh I check and clean my girls ears once a week and clean only if they need it. :)

Last edited:

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.