General Question Getting them to drink more water

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Do you know of any ways to get bullies to drink (or otherwise consume) more water? Especially throughout the day after eating dry food, taking pills, etc?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Do you think he may be dehydrated??

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I rinse wipe and fill 3 water bowls daily. never let it get slimy or dirty. mine all drink when I put the fresh down. Ice cubes in a bowl attract them to it too.

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Do you think he may be dehydrated??

No, I don't think so and I dont want that to happen. But he drinks from a water bottle and sometimes it seems like he barely touches it.

I rinse wipe and fill 3 water bowls daily. never let it get slimy or dirty. mine all drink when I put the fresh down. Ice cubes in a bowl attract them to it too.

I have started giving him water in a bowl with ice cubes when I think he needs to drink more, like when he takes a pill or has had peanut butter and he's smacking his lips together. That usually works.

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: I give ice cubes as a treat an I'm sure if you have water in the bowl all the time he will drink when he's thirsty I wouldn't worry to much if he's drinking some water every day if he stops drinking all together then there's something to worry about

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard

I agree. Even when the dogs don't appear to be "thirsty", if I wash and refill their water bowl (giant, heavy ceramic - couple times a day), they'll come and get a drink regardless.

I'd love to try ice cubes but that would need to be an outside affair.....I think they'd play in the dish until they "caught" them all.....LOL

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
My pup is really funny about drinking, too. I had medium sized stainless food and water dish inside in a holder. Even though I kept it clean and fill with fresh water from the fridge, he got to where he wouldn't drink from it, but would drink from the large stainless bowl I keep for him outside, eve if the water wasn't fresh. Thinking that it was the bowl size, I bought a bigger set for inside. Same thing, but he LOVES drinking fresh rainwater and will drink like crazy when he can. I just ordered a water recirculating bowl (with filter and pump) to see if that makes a difference. Anyone else ever try one for their dogs?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I do like cowsmom.... ice cubes, clean the bowl 2 or 3 times and frozen veggies help too

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
My pup is really funny about drinking, too. I had medium sized stainless food and water dish inside in a holder. Even though I kept it clean and fill with fresh water from the fridge, he got to where he wouldn't drink from it, but would drink from the large stainless bowl I keep for him outside, eve if the water wasn't fresh. Thinking that it was the bowl size, I bought a bigger set for inside. Same thing, but he LOVES drinking fresh rainwater and will drink like crazy when he can. I just ordered a water recirculating bowl (with filter and pump) to see if that makes a difference. Anyone else ever try one for their dogs?

Exactly - he laps up that dirty water on the porch like it was liquid gold! LOL I'm yelling at him "no no dont - disease!"

I did notice that since I only give him bottled water, when I took him to the park and tried to give him fountain water in his bottle, he sniffed it and didnt really seem interested in it. So maybe the rain water has an interesting flavor?

Maybe I can try the recirculating bowl. He makes me nervous with his water bottle because he just clamps down his teeth on it and it looks like he's biting the water out..... giving him water in a bowl is more like I might as well spread it all over the floor.

Somewhere I read that some people put chicken broth in the water to encourage them to drink more - and even some chicken for flavor????

Maybe I'll keep doing ice cube water a couple times a day. Like [MENTION=5480]loveabully[/MENTION] says not worry too much.

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank

:butterfly: my mom had one of those bowls you have to clean it a lot an dog hair gets in it clogs it up an the slim is gross it just recalculates it seems like there's more slim cause It's plastic an plastic gives them pimples

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
We use ice cubes as treats as well and he loves them, Bacon isn't a big water drinker either. We just went on vacation with him for a long weekend and he wouldn't drink any of the water from the hotel, only bottled water and ice cubes that came from home.

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
How much water should a puppy be getting each day? I don't restrict water until closer to bed time but I as just curious. Thanks!

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
It's very hot where we are so Matilda LOVES water! That is never a problem for us. But I do squirt a little lemon juice into her water on especially hot days, and she gets a doggy breath enhancer in it too, so maybe she just likes that it's flavored?

You should also add a cup (or more) of water to his dry food! He'll drink more while he eats.

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
Does anyone leave water in their crate? I feel that I should leave her with water while we're not home, but it worries me to leave a bowl of water in there?

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Does anyone leave water in their crate? I feel that I should leave her with water while we're not home, but it worries me to leave a bowl of water in there?

You can try a water bottle in her crate so she wont tip it over. I have the Lixit "dripless" water bottle.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online