Thread: Getting them to drink more water

Bully lovin' gypsy Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Herman
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Getting them to drink more water

Do you know of any ways to get bullies to drink (or otherwise consume) more water? Especially throughout the day after eating dry food, taking pills, etc?

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Getting them to drink more water

Do you think he may be dehydrated??

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

I rinse wipe and fill 3 water bowls daily. never let it get slimy or dirty. mine all drink when I put the fresh down. Ice cubes in a bowl attract them to it too.
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Bulldog(s) Names
    Herman
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kazzy220 View Post
    Do you think he may be dehydrated??
    No, I don't think so and I dont want that to happen. But he drinks from a water bottle and sometimes it seems like he barely touches it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
    I rinse wipe and fill 3 water bowls daily. never let it get slimy or dirty. mine all drink when I put the fresh down. Ice cubes in a bowl attract them to it too.
    I have started giving him water in a bowl with ice cubes when I think he needs to drink more, like when he takes a pill or has had peanut butter and he's smacking his lips together. That usually works.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Ali
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
    Likes (Received)

I give ice cubes as a treat an I'm sure if you have water in the bowl all the time he will drink when he's thirsty I wouldn't worry to much if he's drinking some water every day if he stops drinking all together then there's something to worry about

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
    I agree. Even when the dogs don't appear to be "thirsty", if I wash and refill their water bowl (giant, heavy ceramic - couple times a day), they'll come and get a drink regardless.

I'd love to try ice cubes but that would need to be an outside affair.....I think they'd play in the dish until they "caught" them all.....LOL

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

My pup is really funny about drinking, too. I had medium sized stainless food and water dish inside in a holder. Even though I kept it clean and fill with fresh water from the fridge, he got to where he wouldn't drink from it, but would drink from the large stainless bowl I keep for him outside, eve if the water wasn't fresh. Thinking that it was the bowl size, I bought a bigger set for inside. Same thing, but he LOVES drinking fresh rainwater and will drink like crazy when he can. I just ordered a water recirculating bowl (with filter and pump) to see if that makes a difference. Anyone else ever try one for their dogs?

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I do like cowsmom.... ice cubes, clean the bowl 2 or 3 times and frozen veggies help too
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog(s) Names
    Herman
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corlando465 View Post
    My pup is really funny about drinking, too. I had medium sized stainless food and water dish inside in a holder. Even though I kept it clean and fill with fresh water from the fridge, he got to where he wouldn't drink from it, but would drink from the large stainless bowl I keep for him outside, eve if the water wasn't fresh. Thinking that it was the bowl size, I bought a bigger set for inside. Same thing, but he LOVES drinking fresh rainwater and will drink like crazy when he can. I just ordered a water recirculating bowl (with filter and pump) to see if that makes a difference. Anyone else ever try one for their dogs?

Exactly - he laps up that dirty water on the porch like it was liquid gold! LOL I'm yelling at him "no no dont - disease!"

I did notice that since I only give him bottled water, when I took him to the park and tried to give him fountain water in his bottle, he sniffed it and didnt really seem interested in it. So maybe the rain water has an interesting flavor?

Maybe I can try the recirculating bowl. He makes me nervous with his water bottle because he just clamps down his teeth on it and it looks like he's biting the water out..... giving him water in a bowl is more like I might as well spread it all over the floor.

Somewhere I read that some people put chicken broth in the water to encourage them to drink more - and even some chicken for flavor????

Maybe I'll keep doing ice cube water a couple times a day. Like @loveabully says not worry too much.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Ali
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Corlando465 View Post
    my mom had one of those bowls you have to clean it a lot an dog hair gets in it clogs it up an the slim is gross it just recalculates it seems like there's more slim cause It's plastic an plastic gives them pimples

Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)

We use ice cubes as treats as well and he loves them, Bacon isn't a big water drinker either. We just went on vacation with him for a long weekend and he wouldn't drink any of the water from the hotel, only bottled water and ice cubes that came from home.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Seamus
    Likes (Received)

How much water should a puppy be getting each day? I don't restrict water until closer to bed time but I as just curious. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads