Help Needed! Limping!

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
For the past couple of days I have noticed that Tonka appears to be limping occasionally. I notice that it seems worse right when he wakes up from a nap or first thing in the morning. At first I thought maybe his leg fell asleep or he was stiff but I have still been noticing it. He doesn't seem to be in pain or anything though (althought I know how tough bullys can be), he still gets sassy and playful and goes up and down the stairs and jumps up on the couch (although maybe a bit more carefully). It seems like he is using one of his front legs more than the other to compensate for the hurt area and that it's the other front leg that has the issue.

I checked all his pads/paws to make sure there was nothing wrong there-cuts/etc. and they all look fine. I am concerned. Anyone know what might be wrong? I don't recall any specific incident where he might have done anything. I mean he can surely get crazy and run around and jump up on furniture and then down again just as quickly when he gets hyper and can run up and down stairs like a maniac. Could he have hurt himself at some point? I just don't know if this is something serious or if this can happen on occasion and when/if I should take him to the vet.

Sometimes he seems like he is fine and other times I notice the limp is more pronounced. Any ideas or advice on this?

Thanks!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Wilson's had issues off and on with limping with his rear leg it's never been anything serious. The last time he was limping pretty good and I had noticed that he wouldn't hop on his favorite chair. Turned out he had a pulled groin and meds helped him quite a bit. There was another time though when he was limping and a check of his paw pad revealed a pretty deep cut. Keep an eye on him and if he's still limping in a week take him to the vet to be checked just to be safe.

SuggieMama

Aug 5, 2012
fl
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Tank does this. He will limp one minute and then be fine the next? Could it be his leg has fallen asleep?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Maybe restrict the jumping on or off the couch n try to keep them off the stairs n such n see if it gets better. Most of the time its nothing but if it doesn't resolve itself in a few days or week may have to look at a vet visit. Keep us updated.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'd keep an eye on him,.... does not sound like a trip to vet is needed, but next time in mention it and see what the Dr. thinks. lso, if not doing so, you can give a joint supplement to help with the stiffness when waking from his naps/sleep.

SuggieMama

Aug 5, 2012
fl
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Tanks only 17 months now. And he rarely does it ...but sometimes he does. At his most recent visit they said they didn't see why it would be,after thorough exam he got clean bill of health? Praying that's just it, he gets hemp seed oil and cocunut oil in his dry food (BB wilderness non grain food).

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Is the limping when he has been sleeping or sitting/lying in the same position for a while??

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
[MENTION=3445]Meggs19[/MENTION]...Brutie pulled something, playing and roughousing with us and also we have a high bed
that was aggravating it after it was sore and limping (it got worse) but there was no swelling, no
redness or warmth and it didn't seem to hurt when I run my hands down his legs or thighs. We kept
him off the bed, sofa, etc...NO jumping and confined him to his crate for 3 days at which time the
limping was gone. If after this, there's no change for the better, or there's pain then I would seek
Vet's opinion. Good luck!

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Check the toes :( porky just started going up n down the stairs on her own n my fiancé noticed her limping n I noticed she has been chewing one toe on her left paw!!!!! She was just spayed so when I took her to get her staples out I had them check n they said she sprained her little toe :( shed be fine just to keep n eye on it n if it gets bad to call let them know n start her anti inflammatory meds left over from her surgery!!!!!!!!!

OP
Meggs19

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Thanks everyone! Tonka's limp seems to have gone away! Occasionally he still looks a bit stiff after waking up from a nap. Does anyone have a good joint supplement they recommend?

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.