Other Nail Clippers?

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I have found that I prefer clipping Herman's nails than using the Dremmel. At first he didnt mind the Dremmel, but last time he ran from it. Plus I wasn't good at it. I think once I got more comfortable with using the clippers he learns to tolerate it (one nail at a time is my limit - so 2.5 weeks for a manicure LOL) And I have never cut the quick!

I use the Furminator clippers now. They seem to work OK, but I'm sure there must be better. They have this horrible nail guard which I removed because if I would use it I'd definitely cut his quick. But now there is a big screw sticking out - and after I clip a nail it locks. So that makes for a lot of stopping and starting and giving him time to run away. I feel like I crush the nail with these as well.

Do you have any recommendations on a really good pair of sturdy and sharp clippers?

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: I just use regular nail clippers for humans that way I can never cut to short they work really well for me I find with dog clippers I crush the nail it doesn't cut that well either. My dogs don't like the dremmel either they run as soon as they see it.

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
:butterfly: I just use regular nail clippers for humans that way I can never cut to short they work really well for me I find with dog clippers I crush the nail it doesn't cut that well either. My dogs don't like the dremmel either they run as soon as they see it.

Hmmm, the large toenail clippers?

PeterPanAndWendy

Jul 27, 2011
Lindsey, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pan Cake
I never thought about using regular toe nail clippers. I just use a clipper I picked up from PetSmart, can't remember the brand, but they have a guard too, I just push it aside because we never wait that long to recut them.

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Yep the big ones work the best they get the tip great and you can clip the sides of the nail to when they break

Ok, I will try that next time - I may be able to hide it in my hands so he cant see it. LOL

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I never thought about using regular toe nail clippers. I just use a clipper I picked up from PetSmart, can't remember the brand, but they have a guard too, I just push it aside because we never wait that long to recut them.

The guard made me very nervous because it was so far from the clippers, so I took mine off. But that left the screw in there so now I can only hold it one way - pointing away from his foot. When dealing with a contortionist, you need to have flexibility with your tools LOL.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online