Help Needed! 7 week old breathing heavily

Star47630

Sep 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Pixie
Hello we are first time English Bulldog owners and we just got our baby 2 days ago and she is 7 weeks old. We have noticed her breathing is very heavy when she sleeps, is this normal? Acts normal and playful when awake and is eating and drinking normal. Thank you!!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
It's probably normal. MOST bullies snore when they sleep but keep an eye out for signs of trouble (trouble breathing) and be sure to mention it at your regular vet visits so they can check your bully out for any potential trouble, like an elongated palette...but I wouldn't be too concerned. Just a sign your bully is nice and relaxed while snoozing! :)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I think all babies breathe heavy ... and bulldogs can just be noisy breathers whatever the age. Heavy breathing is totally different from difficulty breathing ... so make sure what it is. If it's heavy then I wouldn't really worry too much.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Check the gums and tongue. They should be pink. Any signs of blue or purple is not enough oxygen.

There is a very fine line when it comes to little puppies breathing heavy and fast while sleeping, since they almost all do this it is difficult to distinguish a problem. The gum and tongue check is a great way to tell. Short, rapid breaths can be a sign of trouble.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yes young pups will breath heavy when they sleep some times and [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] has said, check their gums and tongue to just be sure they are getting enough oxygen. Good luck with your new pup and would like to see some pic of your baby.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Make sure you never play your puppy out till they pass out, this could cause heavy breathing, 7 weeks is a young'n. you have good advise above.

and yes those pictures please :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.