Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I've noticed Maximus having episodes of what can only be described as "head waggling". He sits and waggles his head from side to side for minutes on end, and than stops. It is not a daily thing, but it does happen a few times a month.

Has anyone ever seen their bully do this ....?

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
gonna tag [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] for you. Her Vegas suffers from epilepsy and she's an expert on head tremors!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Did you check his ears? Linus tends to do this when he has an ear infection and it throws off his equilibrium a bit.

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
Lupe gets "head shakes"--started after a growth spurt around 18 months. They came really often for a year and then she seemed to outgrow them. There is a lot of the internet if you google "bulldog head tremors" including (painful to watch) YouTube vids.

After a lot of research we opted not to go through expensive imaging and vet stuff. Supposedly it doesn't harm the dogs, nor do they notice (how can that BE?) I can stop the tremors with a dollop of frozen vanilla yogurt, or any other soft food. These days even just a ear massage works.

Good luck. It's hard to watch, i know.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
they are know as idiopathic head tremors... common in bulldogs, boxers and dobermans. If the pup responds to his/her name... give a treat of any kind and the tremor will stop. There is no know cause/reason, but some believe it to be stress or low sugar. Try the treat next time... if the tremors stop.. it is nothing to worry about as they are painless and of no harm to the pup.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
It sounds like idiopathic head tremors ... just type that into the search on this forum and you will get a LOT of threads and posts come up.

It is very common and nobody knows truly why it happens.

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
Hi, my Punk does this also. I have a video of her doing it in the Bully Tube section - called Punk's episodes. Take a look and see if this is what Maximus does. My vet has said they are Petit Mal seizures and he is consulting a neurologist for this because the pheno make Punk hyper and did not help the episodes at all.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Hi, my Punk does this also. I have a video of her doing it in the Bully Tube section - called Punk's episodes. Take a look and see if this is what Maximus does. My vet has said they are Petit Mal seizures and he is consulting a neurologist for this because the pheno make Punk hyper and did not help the episodes at all.

Hi -
Thanks for sharing the video with me. Yes, it is similar, but not quite identical to what Maximus does during his "episodes".
the head waggling lookings similar, although Maximus does not seem to be unsteady when he does this. I will watch for
additional episodes and see if I can not get them on video.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
No - that is not what happens with Maximus either. He consciously is turning his head from side to side in a swiping motion. So I can not really say that what he has is "head tremors".

When you get video tag [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] when you post... her Vegas has epilepsy and she may be able to give you some info. Also, there is a great neurologist in Tinton Falls ......

Red Bank Veterinary Hospital
24 hour Emergency Service
197 Hance Ave.
Tinton Falls, NJ
732-747-3636
www.rbvh.net

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
From the sounds of it....it sounds like fly chasing, but without video it's really hard to say for sure. Definitely try and get it on video. Anything unusual happen before this episode?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Does it look like this??

If it does ... then it's idiopathic head tremors ...

http://youtu.be/KJlwBoFuJMY

Let me know if it does ... and we can go from there ....

Members online

No members online now.