General Question Question regarding healthly weight

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
if you want your dog to lose weight cut back the amount of food your giving them or exercise them more. i have fed sarah reduced fat and calorie foods and well i ended up feeding her more of it as she was really starving but thats just my experience with it. nvi is great food so id say dont feed them as much and if still hungry try to feed some veggies to fill them up. just my 2 cents.

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Westchester, New York, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
if you want your dog to lose weight cut back the amount of food your giving them or exercise them more. i have fed sarah reduced fat and calorie foods and well i ended up feeding her more of it as she was really starving but thats just my experience with it. nvi is great food so id say dont feed them as much and if still hungry try to feed some veggies to fill them up. just my 2 cents.

I feed Lily a cup in the am & a cup in the pm.
Should I cut back from a cup or maybe just try the asparagus with the kibble?
I just stated walking her twice a day.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
I feed Lily a cup in the am & a cup in the pm.
Should I cut back from a cup or maybe just try the asparagus with the kibble?
I just stated walking her twice a day.
i would probably cut back the kibble and add in the asparagus. i do it slow so as to not make them as hungry and to see where they start losing weight. maybe try i cup am and 3/4 cup pm then cut back from there. like then go 3/4 cup am and 3/4 cup pm. add in veggies as you cut back the food.

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
That is what I feed my guys also! Hmmm... I am also playing with the amounts. My male get a cup twice a day, female gets 3/4 cup twice a day. They seem to get a wicked energy "boost" right after they eat, so I have been wondering if it is too high calorie. The grain-free foods seems to be higher calorie, and of course high protein, so I also wonder if that is where I am having trouble (maybe same for you????)....
My two are 1 year 3 months now, and I am still figuring out the food thing. I am debating whether to just go back to Wellness "reduced weight"... they did well on it, and it was lower cal and lower protein but it isn't a "grain-free 6-star" food and I felt I should change. I would still like to them each drop a pound a or two, but it just doesn't seem to happen. I am giving NVI LID another month, will let you know how it goes..... (that food here in Canada is very expensive, and special order only. Stores don't even stock it!).

Yea that's exactly what I am wondering...is the cal count to high?? I was thinking of maybe changing to a low cal food. But she is only going to be 9 months. How many cal do they need a day? I don't know. Maybe I will try the veggies with kibble. She is allergic to green beans which I used to give her. I'm kinda scratching my head at this point right now lol

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
Yea that's exactly what I am wondering...is the cal count to high?? I was thinking of maybe changing to a low cal food. But she is only going to be 9 months. How many cal do they need a day? I don't know. Maybe I will try the veggies with kibble. She is allergic to green beans which I used to give her. I'm kinda scratching my head at this point right now lol

Dublin came from the breeder eating Royal Canin and i wanted her off it ( not grain free and didn't like the reviews) I felt it hurt her weight loss so I did a lot of research ( like everyone on here) and came up with Orijen ( A canadian company) It is super high in protein which did concern me in the begining but was assured by people on here and through my own contact with the company that it is not a problem. It is Orijen, Original Red and I am using it with TOTW right now. I have found that with the high protein she is no where near as hungry and actually leaves some food. I will probably continue to "cut it" with TOTW but about 2/3 Orijen to 1/3 TOTW. I have gone from a cup two times a day to 3/4 cup two times a day and she usually leaves a little. I do add about a Tablespoon of boiled ground beef to each feeding for taste and she looks at me like I'm crazy if it is not there.. :-) I give here veggies when she will eat them. The one thing I highly recommend is the Stainless Steel slow feeding bowl. It has changed how she eats. Instead of wolfing her food she has to "work" for it and takes her twice as long to eat. No more gagging from eating too fast. She's still a roly poly bully but I try :-)

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
Dublin came from the breeder eating Royal Canin and i wanted her off it ( not grain free and didn't like the reviews) I felt it hurt her weight loss so I did a lot of research ( like everyone on here) and came up with Orijen ( A canadian company) It is super high in protein which did concern me in the begining but was assured by people on here and through my own contact with the company that it is not a problem. It is Orijen, Original Red and I am using it with TOTW right now. I have found that with the high protein she is no where near as hungry and actually leaves some food. I will probably continue to "cut it" with TOTW but about 2/3 Orijen to 1/3 TOTW. I have gone from a cup two times a day to 3/4 cup two times a day and she usually leaves a little. I do add about a Tablespoon of boiled ground beef to each feeding for taste and she looks at me like I'm crazy if it is not there.. :-) I give here veggies when she will eat them. The one thing I highly recommend is the Stainless Steel slow feeding bowl. It has changed how she eats. Instead of wolfing her food she has to "work" for it and takes her twice as long to eat. No more gagging from eating too fast. She's still a roly poly bully but I try :-)

You are an awesome mama! I think your doing a great job with Dublin!
I use stainless steal bowls as well. I think what worries me th emost is that she is only going to be 9 months and I don't know if cutting her cal intake is the right choice. Of course I do not not her overweight but I don't want her hungry all the time either...although I think she would eat 24-7 if she could lol.
Btw did you get my rely to the email? I don't know if it went through.

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
You are an awesome mama! I think your doing a great job with Dublin!
I use stainless steal bowls as well. I think what worries me th emost is that she is only going to be 9 months and I don't know if cutting her cal intake is the right choice. Of course I do not not her overweight but I don't want her hungry all the time either...although I think she would eat 24-7 if she could lol.
Btw did you get my rely to the email? I don't know if it went through.

Thanks. We all try :yes: Do you use the "slow feed" bowl. The one with the big "lump" in the middle? That way they have to eat around the bowl and it slows them down dramatically. We all know that eating protein keeps us full longer so that is why I made my food choices and as I said she eats less as a result. Just like people, she has her own build and the genes she was given. I am doing my very best with her and that makes me feel good. I recieved a wonderful compliment from my husband last night. He said " Dublin is so lucky that you chose her. You take such awesome care of her with her surgeries, allergeries and food. She just couldn't have gotten a better "mom" " Now how sweet is that??? :-) Yes, Dublin would eat constantly if she was allowed, but then so would I LOL.... I did get your reply and I replied to you :-)

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
Thanks. We all try :yes: Do you use the "slow feed" bowl. The one with the big "lump" in the middle? That way they have to eat around the bowl and it slows them down dramatically. We all know that eating protein keeps us full longer so that is why I made my food choices and as I said she eats less as a result. Just like people, she has her own build and the genes she was given. I am doing my very best with her and that makes me feel good. I recieved a wonderful compliment from my husband last night. He said " Dublin is so lucky that you chose her. You take such awesome care of her with her surgeries, allergeries and food. She just couldn't have gotten a better "mom" " Now how sweet is that??? :-) Yes, Dublin would eat constantly if she was allowed, but then so would I LOL.... I did get your reply and I replied to you :-)

No I don't have the slow feeder. Will have to look in to that one.
What your saying about the protein does make sense. I really have to watch her around the kids. They drop stuff on the floor all the time when they eat and there is Lily cleaning it up like a vacuum cleaner!! LOL
And how sweet is your hubby?? And he is so right!! :)

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
No I don't have the slow feeder. Will have to look in to that one.
What your saying about the protein does make sense. I really have to watch her around the kids. They drop stuff on the floor all the time when they eat and there is Lily cleaning it up like a vacuum cleaner!! LOL
And how sweet is your hubby?? And he is so right!! :)

You have to get the slow feeder for sure. She may look at you funny the first time or two but she will figure it out especially if she is hungry. Ahhh! you have the kids... Well that explains a lot :D You must have very clean floors then.....:happydance: I have to watch my hubby. He is the culprit in my house. Can't resist that face of hers..

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily

So the Orijen is grain free? It is gluten free as well? Ok please forgive me but what's TOTW?? LOL

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.