Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=4786]Dubbiedog[/MENTION] Asparagus, Baby Carrots, and Celery, are good for dogs, just don't feed too much Celery because it is high in sodium. Baby Carrots are good and low in calories.

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
Re: Question regarding healthy weight

dubbiebody2.jpgdubbiebody1.jpgdubbiebody3.jpgdubbiebody4.jpgDubbiebody5.jpg Here is a reluctant Dublin posing.... I will take all input kindly :nope: As you can see she does have wide shoulders and short legs and beefy paws. Lot's of wrinkled skin on her back. She looks like a big stuffed toy when you see her up close:smoochwink:

Yes carrots and asparagus she likes but not celery..... She would much prefer a big Italian meal more than anything, but then again, who wouldnt'??/:D

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Westchester, New York, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily

View attachment 26480View attachment 26479View attachment 26481View attachment 26482View attachment 26483 Here is a reluctant Dublin posing.... I will take all input kindly :nope: As you can see she does have wide shoulders and short legs and beefy paws. Lot's of wrinkled skin on her back. She looks like a big stuffed toy when you see her up close:smoochwink:

Yes carrots and asparagus she likes but not celery..... She would much prefer a big Italian meal more than anything, but then again, who wouldnt'??/:D

Aw I love her!!! How cute is she!!!
I think she is perfect!!!
I love how she is all white but has brown ears.

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin

Aw I love her!!! How cute is she!!!
I think she is perfect!!!
I love how she is all white but has brown ears.

She has brown over one eye also which means she has white eyelashes on one side and black on the other :-) Looking at her pics how do you think her body shape compares to Lily? I know she eats healthy because her coat is so white, shiny and thick and everyone comments on it. It just occured to me that any extra weight is in all that wonderful thick fur :whew: :rofl:

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
It is hard to say because like others have posted, there are different sizes of bulldog. Is she still on puppy food? Puppy food is super high in calories (rightly so!)....My guys were overweight at that age (like high 50s) - I didn't know that (I thought they looked great!) but that was too much for their frames. My vet advised that I transition to adult food (they were 10 months) even though they weren't a year old yet. I am just like you - strict food portions and average amount of walking for bulldogs. Once I switched to adult food, I have been able to maintain their weights pretty well (54 for my male, and 52ish for my female). I would like to have my female drop a pound or too, but I mean I can feel her ribs slightly and she has a "tuck" at her waistline. They really dropped weight when I switched to adult food.

You might need to only have her drop a pound or two... and switching might do it. Good Luck!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I really would not consider weight at all ... just stand over them and look at them from the top. There should be a definite defined waist. If there isn't then they need to lose a few pounds. Weight, after all, is relative to height, body frame, and muscle tone. so its so much simpler to go with the "look down on them" test!! :up:

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
I really would not consider weight at all ... just stand over them and look at them from the top. There should be a definite defined waist. If there isn't then they need to lose a few pounds. Weight, after all, is relative to height, body frame, and muscle tone. so its so much simpler to go with the "look down on them" test!! :up:

Thanks. Can you have a look at Dublin and Lily's photos and tell us what you think? :please:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Thanks. Can you have a look at Dublin and Lily's photos and tell us what you think? :please:

In my opinion .. and it is ONLY my opinion ... I would say that Dublin is only just OK, and that Lily could get a little more definition in their waist. But then again I've got a real thing about not having a bully that's heavy. They have enough going against them with breathing problems, and joint issues without adding on the problem of hefting too much body weight around aswell. So I am VERY over cautious about it .... like I said it's only my opinion though.

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
In my opinion .. and it is ONLY my opinion ... I would say that Dublin is only just OK, and that Lily could get a little more definition in their waist. But then again I've got a real thing about not having a bully that's heavy. They have enough going against them with breathing problems, and joint issues without adding on the problem of hefting too much body weight around aswell. So I am VERY over cautious about it .... like I said it's only my opinion though.

I really do appreciate your opinion and I do think Dublin could stand to lose more weight. I am a little OCD about weight, mine included. I drive my kids bonkers. One is overweight and one is underweight..... Guess which one makes me cringe less???? Dublin was on and off steroids for 18 months and has lost weight since her last time on them. I am very strict with her diet but I have to watch my husband with her. My goal is by the end of the year she is at the best possible weight for her and I think she will be there at around 42lbs. She is down from 51lbs at the height of the steroids to 46lb now. I look forward to posting her new svelte pics in the near future. :2thumbs:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
I really do appreciate your opinion and I do think Dublin could stand to lose more weight. I am a little OCD about weight, mine included. I drive my kids bonkers. One is overweight and one is underweight..... Guess which one makes me cringe less???? Dublin was on and off steroids for 18 months and has lost weight since her last time on them. I am very strict with her diet but I have to watch my husband with her. My goal is by the end of the year she is at the best possible weight for her and I think she will be there at around 42lbs. She is down from 51lbs at the height of the steroids to 46lb now. I look forward to posting her new svelte pics in the near future. :2thumbs:

The steroids were probably a lot to do with her putting on a bit of weight ... now she's off them she should start to lose weight naturally as the steroids leave her system.

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily

She has brown over one eye also which means she has white eyelashes on one side and black on the other :-) Looking at her pics how do you think her body shape compares to Lily? I know she eats healthy because her coat is so white, shiny and thick and everyone comments on it. It just occured to me that any extra weight is in all that wonderful thick fur :whew: :rofl:

I actually think they kinda look like they are built the same way...have the same frame. Even though Lily is only almost 9 mo I think her body type looks just like Dublins. Does that make sense?? LOL
What do you think? I think she looks perfect. He weight seems fine to me.

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
It is hard to say because like others have posted, there are different sizes of bulldog. Is she still on puppy food? Puppy food is super high in calories (rightly so!)....My guys were overweight at that age (like high 50s) - I didn't know that (I thought they looked great!) but that was too much for their frames. My vet advised that I transition to adult food (they were 10 months) even though they weren't a year old yet. I am just like you - strict food portions and average amount of walking for bulldogs. Once I switched to adult food, I have been able to maintain their weights pretty well (54 for my male, and 52ish for my female). I would like to have my female drop a pound or too, but I mean I can feel her ribs slightly and she has a "tuck" at her waistline. They really dropped weight when I switched to adult food.

You might need to only have her drop a pound or two... and switching might do it. Good Luck!

I feed her NVI and it's says it's an all stage food. It's 444 cal in a standard 8 oz cup.
Should I maybe think about changing her to a lower cal food?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Baby carrots contain sugar in them which breaks down to calories/fat. Green beans have 0 calories so that is why they are recommended. I would go with asparagus if you can't do green beans.

I think so looks awfully cute, but I love chubby bullies!!! I would think if she lost 2 lbs it would make a world of difference.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin

I actually think they kinda look like they are built the same way...have the same frame. Even though Lily is only almost 9 mo I think her body type looks just like Dublins. Does that make sense?? LOL
What do you think? I think she looks perfect. He weight seems fine to me.

I think if you can keep her close to the weight she is at right now especially if you think that she and Dublin have the same frame, then she will grow into her body. As long as her nutrition is right on then a pound here or there would be just perfect for her. I know I "spoiled" Dublin at the same age Lily is now as she was always sick. Bad thing to do. You have stepped in at the right time so you are ahead of the game. Kudos to you for asking the questions. The steroids were just awful for Dublin as she would steal food anytime she could and that mostly meant the cats food. we didnt' know she was doing it as she was so cunning and quiet about it. She would throw up and we couldn't figure it out. Then I recognized the smell and it hit me instantly. We watched her to see what she would do. We keep the cats food in the laundry room and she never goes in there otherwise. When she knew we werent' looking she would quietly go in and gorge herself on whatever was there and then quietly leave. Never underestimate the brain of a bulldog LOL We fixed that, but it has all taken it's toll on her weight. As I said she is down from 51lb to 46lb and just a few to go. Lily has the cutest face :-)

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
That is what I feed my guys also! Hmmm... I am also playing with the amounts. My male get a cup twice a day, female gets 3/4 cup twice a day. They seem to get a wicked energy "boost" right after they eat, so I have been wondering if it is too high calorie. The grain-free foods seems to be higher calorie, and of course high protein, so I also wonder if that is where I am having trouble (maybe same for you????)....
My two are 1 year 3 months now, and I am still figuring out the food thing. I am debating whether to just go back to Wellness "reduced weight"... they did well on it, and it was lower cal and lower protein but it isn't a "grain-free 6-star" food and I felt I should change. I would still like to them each drop a pound a or two, but it just doesn't seem to happen. I am giving NVI LID another month, will let you know how it goes..... (that food here in Canada is very expensive, and special order only. Stores don't even stock it!).

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.