Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Westchester, New York, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
Question regarding healthy weight

L4.jpgL2.jpgL3.jpgL1.jpg I was just wondering what was a healthy weight for a 8 1/2 month old female bulldog? Lily is 46lbs. The vet who saw her on Thursday said her weight was fine but then today we saw a different vet and he said she was overwieght and I needed to walk her more. I told him how much & how often I feed her (1 cup am & 1 cup pm) and he said I was doing everything right but I still need to walk her more than once a day. I only give her fruits & veggies for treats. And her kibble. Sometimes I will give her some boiled chop meat & rice just to mix it up as she gets tired of the kibble but I measure that out as well. Am I doing wrong here? How can one vet say her weight is fine and then the other vet say no she is overweight??? I'm confused!!!

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Is the second vet experienced with bulldogs? Can you post a pic looking down at her waste

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The weight is relative to the pup....in those pics she seems a little thick but not over weight. Example...Banks was 10 months and 70lbs.... What i did was cut her kibble amount in half and added green beans to fill amount....1/2 cup kibble 1/2 cup green beans = 1cup food. She lost 10 lbs and has held at that weight for 7 years

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
Re: Question regarding healthy weight

I hear you on the weight thing and I get very upset with some comments I get. I do not overfeed Dublin at all and she gets as much exercise as weather permits here in Florida. At two she now weighs 46 lb. she has such short legs and a very compact body with big shoulders. Lots of wrinkles. She looks awesome :2thumbs: but get so tired of the "she never misses a meal" or "don't have to worry about her running away from you" By the way she can run and run fast in spurts when she is chasing the poor neighborhood rabbits :yes: Both her own Dr. ( a well known bully dr. in the area) and her surgeon both said that she is fine for her build but that it wouldn't hurt if she lost some more weight. Guess I could starve her.....:nope: I would love her to lose a little more as it would help her breathing but I feel I am doing everything right when it comes to her nutrition and exercise. I will post a couple of pics from above her and width wise and post them here. Lilly looks great to me from her photo. Does she have long legs and body??

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
The weight is relative to the pup....in those pics she seems a little thick but not over weight. Example...Banks was 10 months and 70lbs.... What i did was cut her kibble amount in half and added green beans to fill amount....1/2 cup kibble 1/2 cup green beans = 1cup food. She lost 10 lbs and has held at that weight for 7 years

Ok thanks I will try that.
But can I give her another veggie besides green beans? She is allergic to green beans. :(

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes. Whatever she likes

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily

I hear you on the weight thing and I get very upset with some comments I get. I do not overfeed Dublin at all and she gets as much exercise as weather permits here in Florida. At two she now weighs 46 lb. she has such short legs and a very compact body with big shoulders. Lots of wrinkles. She looks awesome :2thumbs: but get so tired of the "she never misses a meal" or "don't have to worry about her running away from you" By the way she can run and run fast in spurts when she is chasing the poor neighborhood rabbits :yes: Both her own Dr. ( a well known bully dr. in the area) and her surgeon both said that she is fine for her build but that it wouldn't hurt if she lost some more weight. Guess I could starve her.....:nope: I would love her to lose a little more as it would help her breathing but I feel I am doing everything right when it comes to her nutrition and exercise. I will post a couple of pics from above her and width wise and post them here. Lilly looks great to me from her photo. Does she have long legs and body??

Her body seems long but her legs seem short.
I would love to see some pics of Dublin

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily

Okay I will do that when she gets back from her 5 mile jog:sarcastic: or when she makes up....... Can you do the same and we can compare?

I did post some pics of Lily on top.
Yes lets compare.
Dublin is 46lbs at 2 years correct?
Wow Lily is 46lbs bow and she is 8 1/2 months. Um maybe she is a tad overweight. :(

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It's hard to go by the scale as some bullies are bigger than others. In her pics she looks a little thick but not overweight. I would cut back on her kibble a little. Maybe 1 cup in the morning and 3/4 cup at night. Once she gets about a year old you may need to cut back to 3/4 cup 2 times a day. This is what we feed our females, 3/4 cup 2 times a day. Lucy will get a little heavy some times and we cut hers back even more and put some green beans in there to fill her up a little. You want to see a little waist and not feel ribs to easily.

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin

I did post some pics of Lily on top.
Yes lets compare.
Dublin is 46lbs at 2 years correct?
Wow Lily is 46lbs bow and she is 8 1/2 months. Um maybe she is a tad overweight. :(

Still no pics for you, but will get them later. Lily looks to have a longer body than Dublin, but Dublin seems to have wider shoulders. She also has big paws and thick legs ( a lot prettier than it sounds LOL). She does have a low slung belly. She gets 3/4 cup of kibble ( a mix of Orijen and TOTW) twice a day. some veggies and a little red meat. Diet is grain free. She may get a few treats too but I just dont' see how I overfeed her. We were at a bulldog meet about a month ago and she was the roly poly of the group but most of them had way longer legs than her, even the girls. At her highest she weighed 51lbs and was on steroids for so long so getting her to 46 is good. Am I fooling myself??? LOL... Lily and Dublin look so different and yet the weigh the same....

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
It's hard to go by the scale as some bullies are bigger than others. In her pics she looks a little thick but not overweight. I would cut back on her kibble a little. Maybe 1 cup in the morning and 3/4 cup at night. Once she gets about a year old you may need to cut back to 3/4 cup 2 times a day. This is what we feed our females, 3/4 cup 2 times a day. Lucy will get a little heavy some times and we cut hers back even more and put some green beans in there to fill her up a little. You want to see a little waist and not feel ribs to easily.

Dublin hates green beans :nope: She loves carrots but is it true that nutritionally the "come out as they go in? " Any other veg ideas? She won't eat fruit plain or frozen...

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily

Still no pics for you, but will get them later. Lily looks to have a longer body than Dublin, but Dublin seems to have wider shoulders. She also has big paws and thick legs ( a lot prettier than it sounds LOL). She does have a low slung belly. She gets 3/4 cup of kibble ( a mix of Orijen and TOTW) twice a day. some veggies and a little red meat. Diet is grain free. She may get a few treats too but I just dont' see how I overfeed her. We were at a bulldog meet about a month ago and she was the roly poly of the group but most of them had way longer legs than her, even the girls. At her highest she weighed 51lbs and was on steroids for so long so getting her to 46 is good. Am I fooling myself??? LOL... Lily and Dublin look so different and yet the weigh the same....

Aw she sounds so cute. And your profile of Dublin is just the cutest!! Lily just recently got done with steroids to.
I'm thinking I'm might try cutting her down to 3/4 cups twice a day to.
I swear she would eat all day if I let her! Lol

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.