Bulldog(s) Names
    Dublin
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Question regarding healthy weight

Quote Originally Posted by Lily122511 View Post
    I did post some pics of Lily on top.
    Yes lets compare.
    Dublin is 46lbs at 2 years correct?
    Wow Lily is 46lbs bow and she is 8 1/2 months. Um maybe she is a tad overweight.
    Still no pics for you, but will get them later. Lily looks to have a longer body than Dublin, but Dublin seems to have wider shoulders. She also has big paws and thick legs ( a lot prettier than it sounds LOL). She does have a low slung belly. She gets 3/4 cup of kibble ( a mix of Orijen and TOTW) twice a day. some veggies and a little red meat. Diet is grain free. She may get a few treats too but I just dont' see how I overfeed her. We were at a bulldog meet about a month ago and she was the roly poly of the group but most of them had way longer legs than her, even the girls. At her highest she weighed 51lbs and was on steroids for so long so getting her to 46 is good. Am I fooling myself??? LOL... Lily and Dublin look so different and yet the weigh the same....

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Ann
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dublin
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Question regarding healthly weight

Quote Originally Posted by Davidh View Post
    It's hard to go by the scale as some bullies are bigger than others. In her pics she looks a little thick but not overweight. I would cut back on her kibble a little. Maybe 1 cup in the morning and 3/4 cup at night. Once she gets about a year old you may need to cut back to 3/4 cup 2 times a day. This is what we feed our females, 3/4 cup 2 times a day. Lucy will get a little heavy some times and we cut hers back even more and put some green beans in there to fill her up a little. You want to see a little waist and not feel ribs to easily.
    Dublin hates green beans She loves carrots but is it true that nutritionally the "come out as they go in? " Any other veg ideas? She won't eat fruit plain or frozen...

Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbiedog View Post
    Still no pics for you, but will get them later. Lily looks to have a longer body than Dublin, but Dublin seems to have wider shoulders. She also has big paws and thick legs ( a lot prettier than it sounds LOL). She does have a low slung belly. She gets 3/4 cup of kibble ( a mix of Orijen and TOTW) twice a day. some veggies and a little red meat. Diet is grain free. She may get a few treats too but I just dont' see how I overfeed her. We were at a bulldog meet about a month ago and she was the roly poly of the group but most of them had way longer legs than her, even the girls. At her highest she weighed 51lbs and was on steroids for so long so getting her to 46 is good. Am I fooling myself??? LOL... Lily and Dublin look so different and yet the weigh the same....
    Aw she sounds so cute. And your profile of Dublin is just the cutest!! Lily just recently got done with steroids to.
    I'm thinking I'm might try cutting her down to 3/4 cups twice a day to.
    I swear she would eat all day if I let her! Lol

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

@Dubbiedog Asparagus, Baby Carrots, and Celery, are good for dogs, just don't feed too much Celery because it is high in sodium. Baby Carrots are good and low in calories.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Real Name
    Ann
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dublin
    Likes (Received)

-dubbiebody2-jpg-dubbiebody1-jpg-dubbiebody3-jpg-dubbiebody4-jpg-dubbiebody5-jpg Here is a reluctant Dublin posing.... I will take all input kindly As you can see she does have wide shoulders and short legs and beefy paws. Lot's of wrinkled skin on her back. She looks like a big stuffed toy when you see her up close

Yes carrots and asparagus she likes but not celery..... She would much prefer a big Italian meal more than anything, but then again, who wouldnt'??/

Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily
    Likes (Received)

-dubbiebody2-jpg-dubbiebody1-jpg-dubbiebody3-jpg-dubbiebody4-jpg-dubbiebody5-jpg Here is a reluctant Dublin posing.... I will take all input kindly As you can see she does have wide shoulders and short legs and beefy paws. Lot's of wrinkled skin on her back. She looks like a big stuffed toy when you see her up close

Yes carrots and asparagus she likes but not celery..... She would much prefer a big Italian meal more than anything, but then again, who wouldnt'??/
    Aw I love her!!! How cute is she!!!
    I think she is perfect!!!
    I love how she is all white but has brown ears.

Real Name
    Ann
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dublin
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lily122511 View Post
    Aw I love her!!! How cute is she!!!
    I think she is perfect!!!
    I love how she is all white but has brown ears.
    She has brown over one eye also which means she has white eyelashes on one side and black on the other :-) Looking at her pics how do you think her body shape compares to Lily? I know she eats healthy because her coat is so white, shiny and thick and everyone comments on it. It just occured to me that any extra weight is in all that wonderful thick fur

Real Name
    Bree
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Layla and Wilbur
    Likes (Received)

It is hard to say because like others have posted, there are different sizes of bulldog. Is she still on puppy food? Puppy food is super high in calories (rightly so!)....My guys were overweight at that age (like high 50s) - I didn't know that (I thought they looked great!) but that was too much for their frames. My vet advised that I transition to adult food (they were 10 months) even though they weren't a year old yet. I am just like you - strict food portions and average amount of walking for bulldogs. Once I switched to adult food, I have been able to maintain their weights pretty well (54 for my male, and 52ish for my female). I would like to have my female drop a pound or too, but I mean I can feel her ribs slightly and she has a "tuck" at her waistline. They really dropped weight when I switched to adult food.

You might need to only have her drop a pound or two... and switching might do it. Good Luck!

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

I really would not consider weight at all ... just stand over them and look at them from the top. There should be a definite defined waist. If there isn't then they need to lose a few pounds. Weight, after all, is relative to height, body frame, and muscle tone. so its so much simpler to go with the "look down on them" test!!

Real Name
    Ann
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dublin
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kazzy220 View Post
    I really would not consider weight at all ... just stand over them and look at them from the top. There should be a definite defined waist. If there isn't then they need to lose a few pounds. Weight, after all, is relative to height, body frame, and muscle tone. so its so much simpler to go with the "look down on them" test!!
    Thanks. Can you have a look at Dublin and Lily's photos and tell us what you think?

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks. Can you have a look at Dublin and Lily's photos and tell us what you think?
    In my opinion .. and it is ONLY my opinion ... I would say that Dublin is only just OK, and that Lily could get a little more definition in their waist. But then again I've got a real thing about not having a bully that's heavy. They have enough going against them with breathing problems, and joint issues without adding on the problem of hefting too much body weight around aswell. So I am VERY over cautious about it .... like I said it's only my opinion though.

Real Name
    Ann
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dublin
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kazzy220 View Post
    In my opinion .. and it is ONLY my opinion ... I would say that Dublin is only just OK, and that Lily could get a little more definition in their waist. But then again I've got a real thing about not having a bully that's heavy. They have enough going against them with breathing problems, and joint issues without adding on the problem of hefting too much body weight around aswell. So I am VERY over cautious about it .... like I said it's only my opinion though.
    I really do appreciate your opinion and I do think Dublin could stand to lose more weight. I am a little OCD about weight, mine included. I drive my kids bonkers. One is overweight and one is underweight..... Guess which one makes me cringe less???? Dublin was on and off steroids for 18 months and has lost weight since her last time on them. I am very strict with her diet but I have to watch my husband with her. My goal is by the end of the year she is at the best possible weight for her and I think she will be there at around 42lbs. She is down from 51lbs at the height of the steroids to 46lb now. I look forward to posting her new svelte pics in the near future.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads