Help Needed! Trifexis

babyjax

Aug 29, 2012
tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Jax
Hi I need some advice. Jax has been on Sentinnel all of his life for heartworm/flea preventitive but now since they stoped the distibution my vet recommended and prescribed trifexis. I am worried about giving it to him because all the bad reviews on it. Any one have any advice. Is it safe for bulldogs? I am supposed to give him the pill in about a few days?

Attachments

• 1837.jpg
    1837.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 1,107

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Never used it. I use Sentinel too

PeterPanAndWendy

Jul 27, 2011
Lindsey, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pan Cake
We've made the switch to it since they have suspended production of Sentinnel. We've had Pan on it for two months now and haven'y seen any negative side effects. He hasn't had any fleas either.

OP
babyjax

babyjax

Aug 29, 2012
tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Jax
Well, I just gave him the pill 20 mins ago, so far so good. He is his usual Hyper self , happy and slobbery. lol. I made sure to feed him first and after i gave him the pill I gave him a lot of water.

OP
babyjax

babyjax

Aug 29, 2012
tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Jax
ok so it has been over 7 hours since i gave him the pill, and he threw up everything that he ate. His vomit smelled exactly like the pill (chemical smell). Now I don't know what to give him. I don't want to give him another one but i guess i have to visit the vet again. Anyone know of a good heartworm/ flea preventetive like Sentinnel but with out the bad side effects???

relayer13

Sep 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Tater
We just gave it to Tater, it is his second dose, first was with the breeder. we'll see what happens.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
These are topicals, not a pill but both Revolution and Advantage Multi do both. I know a good Australian site that sells both without a prescription for about half what you'd pay at the vet. My vet recommends Advantage Multi for dogs and Revolution for cats. I've used both on the dogs.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok i was digging around and i found this. not saying you should keep using it just thought i share it with you. i dunno you may have to go back to separate medications for this. doesnt seem like much else is out there besides what has been mentioned above.
Chris Bern, DVM said...Since I posted this a year ago we have carried Trifexis and I really like it. However, both Trifexis and Comfortis have vomiting as a common side-effect. This doesn't mean that there is any toxicity or danger, just an annoying side-effect. If this is significantly affecting your pet, consider an alternate medication. But you don't need to worry about your dog.
February 29, 2012 8:53 PM

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
We will NOT be continuing Trifexis. My pup is 9 months olds and has had this since he was 8 weeks. I thought the meds were causing him to be more subdued but just thought I was imagining it. Then 2 months ago he stepped up to a stronger dose. He just didn't act like his normal self. Again, I thought he was just tired. I gave him this months dose and he was really not good! Lethargic, kind of out of it, as my son described, clingy and just did not feel good. I did a little more research and found some very disturbing reviews. I talked to the vet assistant and we are going to find another heartworm option and will go with a topical option for fleas, if needed. Like people, all dogs are different with differing reactions to foods and meds. My pup may have had problems but your pup may do very well with it. The important thing is some sort of heartworm protection, especially if you live in a mosquito prone area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
babyjax

babyjax

Aug 29, 2012
tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Jax
Yes i read all of the disturbing news too and since i experience it first hand that Jax didn't like it I will be switching. I need to go ask my vet what is the next best thing. I don't know if any of you had smelled the Trifexis but it just stinks like chemicals and it is quite a large pill. i had to split and roll it in cheese several times after he spit it out just to get him to eat it. He looked at me like I was trying to poison him or something so I am not giving him that again. I wish they started the production of Sentinel again. I felt confident giving him that pill and he didn't have any issues with it. In fact he ate it without have to trick him in to it.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Yes i read all of the disturbing news too and since i experience it first hand that Jax didn't like it I will be switching. I need to go ask my vet what is the next best thing. I don't know if any of you had smelled the Trifexis but it just stinks like chemicals and it is quite a large pill. i had to split and roll it in cheese several times after he spit it out just to get him to eat it. He looked at me like I was trying to poison him or something so I am not giving him that again. I wish they started the production of Sentinel again. I felt confident giving him that pill and he didn't have any issues with it. In fact he ate it without have to trick him in to it.

I was just discussing this with both my sisters tonight. They both use Trifexis and we DO have a vet in the family who highly recommends this. The side effect of vomiting has happened to them and they were told if your dog vomits it up they need another dose.

I, myself use Revolution and I hate putting poison on my pets. But I'm sure the pill has the same chemicals as the topicals.

May I ask...why was Sentinel taken out of production?

relayer13

Sep 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Tater
Just gave Tater his does of Trifexis Friday, no problems at all. I'm sure it effects different dogs different ways.

SuggieMama

Aug 5, 2012
fl
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
We use TriFlexis for tank and he is on the 60-120 lb dose and hasnt had a problem.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.