Help Needed! Herman's rash is getting worse

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
So Herman had this rash for a few weeks now but it was light and very faint. I showed it to the doctor last week, she could barely see it but said it's related to either mange or allergies. Now I looked tonight and the bumps are redder and raised.
Does this look familiar to anyone? Is this mange related - or a by-product of it?

I think I saw someone's baby had something similar, but I can't find the post. hermanstomach.jpg

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Looks like an allergy to me. It could be food related or he is allergenic to grass or the soap you use to wash his bedding, or maybe the carpet it you have any. I'd change foods first to see. In the mean time give him some benedryl.

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Looks like an allergy to me. It could be food related or he is allergenic to grass or the soap you use to wash his bedding, or maybe the carpet it you have any. I'd change foods first to see. In the mean time give him some benedryl.

I'm afraid of giving the benadryl with all the meds he's taking for his mange, but I might just have to do it.

[MENTION=5667]KelseyandAtticus[/MENTION] maybe this is all the 'getting worse before it gets better' part of the process :(

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]..[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]...[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]

I have no experience..but hoping someone can!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
When Stig had mange, he was given Interceptor and an antibiotic and he was also allowed benedryl. Are the hives/rash localized on his tummy area or is his whole body covered with them?

KelseyandAtticus

Aug 8, 2012
Athens, West Virginia, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Atticus
Atticus took benadryl along with the ivermectin and an antibiotic and he was fine....Atty does seem to break out a day or two after we give him the ivermectin too, then it heals and goes away. It wasn't nearly as bad after the second dose, so I think you're right.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
red and raised.... sounds like hives. Call your vet to see if it is OK to give the Benedryl with his manage meds --- it should be, but it is better to check first. dosage is 1 mg per pound up to 3x a day

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
@savemejeebus its definitely only on his stomach chest and underarms.

thanks all for the reassurance and experience. the vet told me 1 and 1/2 benadryl twice a day, I guess I will trust her.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=5580]elearn[/MENTION] where are you located? I see you have 'east coast' but are you willing to PM me your town?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
If it's localized, I'm guessing it's an environmental allergy to whatever he lays on. Maybe to grass or his bedding, even the cleaners you use for your floors/carpet? If it's environmental, the benedryl should help. It'll make him drowsy, so don't be surprised if he's sleeping more. But I'd try to find out the root cause of it, if it's the cleaners/detergent, get ones that're for sesitive skin. I know Costco sells the free and clear type.

Last edited:
OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
If it's localized, I'm guessing it's an environmental allergy to whatever he lays on. Maybe to grass or his bedding, even the cleaners you use for your floors/carpet? If it's environmental, the benedryl should help. It'll make him drowsy, so don't be surprised if he's sleeping more. But I'd try to find out the root cause of it, if it's the cleaners/detergent, get ones that're for sesitive skin. I know Costco sells the free and clear type.

I do use a dye free detergent for sensitive skin, I think I had read here that detergent might cause allergic reaction LOL. The only thing that has changed in the past couple of days is that he received his new custom made sleeping bag - he ignores it most of the time and doesnt sleep on it (its 100% cotton). He just plays with it. It definitely could be the grass because my allergies are really bad the past few days (I just bought us both some Benadryl reinforcements) and he likes to lay out there. I checked the "weed" levels and they are HIGH to VERY HIGH for the past few days and continuing on......

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
One thing to try is put a t-shirt on him, maybe a childs size to fit, when he goes outside to see if that helps.

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Thank you! I will try that. It appears to be getting better, but I'm not sure. But that's a good idea to put the t-shirt on when he goes out :blink:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.