General Question Healthy weights for ebd's? ( puppys)

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Palm Beach County Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hello everyone. I tried to post this earlier but didn't seem to post. I know my ebd's dad is 65lbs. My pup is or was 30lbs back a week and a half ago at the vets office.. People where I live comment on how big he is getting. He is a little over 4 months now. Was born on April 22. I do spoil him a bit. I used to buy him grain free treats along with his Taste of the wild dog food but now just use string cheese in his training. He loves sliced banana's topped with skippy chunky peanut butter. I give him 2 acidopyhilus pills in chicken vieana sausage in the morning. He LOVES vanilla ice cream. Fat free plain yogurt, honey dew melon.. Hmm I think thats it as far as treats. I do not know if I should be concerned with his weight until he is an adult and then ofcourse I know I have to keep him under a certain weight to prevent many health issues but as a puppy I am unsure. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks Hero 8-25-2012 021.jpg

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Looking at the pic, he looks about right. Watch him when he gets a little older so he will not get over weight. You want them to have a little waist on them. You can pretty much tell when they are over weight. When he gets a little older you may have to cut back on the treats a little and his food also. I go more by how they look than what the scale says.

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks Davidh. I know he is still growing and he looks right to me as well but ofcourse I am a first time bullie owner. I just don't want him to get over weight. Thanks Hero

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Im like David I go by the looks instead of the weight, although Vegas is 3 now, he has maintained between 57-63 lbs. for over 2 years. Depends on the weather outside. Living in Florida summer time he seems to put on a little more due to it being over 100* many days. As you can see by my avatar pic to the left, Vegas has a very broad chest yet a small waiste. Buddy looks good for his age.

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks Kmarino. He looks fine to me as well, I was just wondering if it mattered when they are puppys. I live in Florida too ( delray) Palm beach county. I know how HOT it is out there. After 11am and before 6 pm I only bring him outdoors for say 15 mins. Too afraid of overheating.. Thanks Hero

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
My pup's dad was 63 lbs and my guy weighed 25.5 lbs at 4 months. He is now almost nine months and weighs about 48 lbs. My vet said that their weight at 4 months is usually 40% of what their adult weight will be, which puts my boy at 63.75 lbs. I was concerned about him being too heavy, as well. The vet said he looks great, but it is important to keep this breed at a healthy weight. Extra fat on EBs is just too difficult on them, especially with regard to their breathing. He ask about his food, (which is Fromm's Beef Frittata) and how much I feed him ( which is one cup in am and one cup in pm, plus treats and taste, here and there including vanilla ice cream too :) He said the 2 cups of Fromms is a little over 800 calories a day, which is plenty for this breed unless they are very active - mine is not. He said the although the bag says to feed more as they get bigger, he does not recommend feeding bullies as much as other breeds. They just don't require it (even if they do act like they are always starving) LOL. Can you tell he used to have bullies?

Your guy looks great and is going to be a big boy like mine. It is good that you are thinking about his weight now rather than wait until it is a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I think he looks just right! He doesnt look skinny and he doesnt look fat he is just right.

Most Reactions