Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any advice for interdigital cysts?

Bully lovin' gypsy Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Herman
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Any advice for interdigital cysts?

Herman has had this cyst for what will be about a month now - and there is no change with. I'm 90% sure this has to do with his demodectic mange as it showed up around the same time.

But how long should it take to get better. Now his fur has turned brown in between the toes. The cyst doesnt get smaller, it just gets more red or less red and bigger as it feels necessary.

I've tried:

Epsom salt
    Mercuroclear (iodine)
    Preparation H - 2 kinds, cream and ointment
    Duoxo pads
    Animex (once only)

I gave him benadryl, but dont do that consistently because of all the meds for the mange

Any ideas of what else may make it reduce in size?

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Any advice for interdigital cysts?

Have you tried Neo-predef powder? I'm asking b/c I just rec'vd some today in the mail for Tate's wrinkles and tear stains. Also, I found this link to a blog from EBN that talks about it too. YOu might want to research it and ask your vet about it.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...tal-cysts.html

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Until his manage is gone and his immune system is stronger they will continue to be there.... poor boy. Keep up with the love and epsom salt soaks it helps to keep the swelling down
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I have not tried this yet, I am ordering some this week however because I read about it here last week, searched reviews online and spoke to a few people about it who swear it's great... You can even spray it right on the eyes. It is called vetericyn (sp?). It is a bacteria killer basically, and my personal belief is that interdigital cysts are caused by bacteria/fungus. Allergies usually cause the bacterial overgrowth along with paw licking. This stuff is supposed to kill it.

I have not tried it yet but it may be worth a shot!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Herman
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Until his manage is gone and his immune system is stronger they will continue to be there.... poor boy. Keep up with the love and epsom salt soaks it helps to keep the swelling down
    Nooo, I sure hope not!!! On a positive note, I havent found any more mange spots and the ones he has dont seem to be getting bigger...When he stepped on my face tonight I noticed that the bottoms of his paws have become very soft again, just like when he was a baby They had gotten rough and scratch from walking on the pavement. So at least I'm doing something right LOL I hope this means his skin is getting healthier.

@desertskybulldogs I found what you were talking about and I'm going to look into it and read the reviews as well!

Bully's Bikes and Books! Zoey1974's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey
    Likes (Received)

Hope he gets better quick! @elearn the nonchalant way you mentioned he stepped on your face and his feet were so soft had me cracking up!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Herman
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zoey1974 View Post
    Hope he gets better quick! @elearn the nonchalant way you mentioned he stepped on your face and his feet were so soft had me cracking up!!
    LOL it's very true. It's my life.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

Since cysts are usually bacteria I would keep on with the douxo and maybe wash with hibiclenz that can be gotten at drug stores. It's stronger than the douxo but is like a soap so has to be washed off after applying. Then maybe a powder after to keep it dry. I use lotrimin as Sarah has yeast to. Good luck.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Herman
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I have seen the Hibeclenz in the store and recognized it had the same active ingredient as the duoxo so I will pick some up.

I think he might be getting another one on his opposite finger/paw. Everyday it's something new, poor guy. But he's just as happy as can be, I'm the one that's miserable LOL

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

well not now but maybe when you get him better with the mange im wondering if you might look at his food as that can be a big cause of interdigital cysts. just a thought.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Herman
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by desertskybulldogs View Post
    I have not tried this yet, I am ordering some this week however because I read about it here last week, searched reviews online and spoke to a few people about it who swear it's great... You can even spray it right on the eyes. It is called vetericyn (sp?). It is a bacteria killer basically, and my personal belief is that interdigital cysts are caused by bacteria/fungus. Allergies usually cause the bacterial overgrowth along with paw licking. This stuff is supposed to kill it.

I have not tried it yet but it may be worth a shot!

@desertskybulldogs Thanks so much for telling me about this! I tried waiting a week to post the results. I've been using since last Friday, 1 week, on Herman's interdigital cyst. It was really mean and nasty looking, like it was inflamed or something. Just after one use, overnight, the redness disappeared! The next day, it looked like just pink skin and some swelling had gone down.

I used it all week and it never got so inflamed again (even the fur that had turned dark brown was beginning to lighten). The swelling continues to go down, but its still visible and still looks big like a 6th toe, but it's not as upsetting (to me) anymore. I apply it 3-4 times per day. Herman doesn't lick it, it doesn't really have a smell that makes him run away.

I do think it helped the IDC. I'm not saying it was the ultimate solution because Herman is also on anti-biotics for his mange. But just one application of this helped much more than everything I had tried. I'm finally able to examine the cyst because it's not so swollen. I also think because he's lost hair in that area of his paw it really sticks out.

The only issue is that today I noticed it was slightly irritated and there were some red spots - could have been because he was out in the grass. Then vet also scraped it today, so it's a little red now.

He had some bumps on his ears, I put this stuff on - and poof they were gone the next day.

Like I said, it's not some miracle product but it is effective and safe.

I got the hydrogel version of it.
    Last edited by elearn; 09-07-2012 at 03:57 PM.

Pet Sitter
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
    Likes (Received)

Yay, glad you all are using this. It's not doing wonders for Mr D, but it is helping and it really but it seems like an awesome product. I have the spray, so should try the gel I am thinking!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads