Help Needed! Any advice for interdigital cysts?

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Herman has had this cyst for what will be about a month now - and there is no change with. I'm 90% sure this has to do with his demodectic mange as it showed up around the same time.

But how long should it take to get better. Now his fur has turned brown in between the toes. The cyst doesnt get smaller, it just gets more red or less red and bigger as it feels necessary.

I've tried:

Epsom salt
Mercuroclear (iodine)
Preparation H - 2 kinds, cream and ointment
Duoxo pads
Animex (once only)

I gave him benadryl, but dont do that consistently because of all the meds for the mange :blink:

Any ideas of what else may make it reduce in size?

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Until his manage is gone and his immune system is stronger they will continue to be there.... poor boy. Keep up with the love and epsom salt soaks it helps to keep the swelling down

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have not tried this yet, I am ordering some this week however because I read about it here last week, searched reviews online and spoke to a few people about it who swear it's great... You can even spray it right on the eyes. It is called vetericyn (sp?). It is a bacteria killer basically, and my personal belief is that interdigital cysts are caused by bacteria/fungus. Allergies usually cause the bacterial overgrowth along with paw licking. This stuff is supposed to kill it.

I have not tried it yet but it may be worth a shot!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Until his manage is gone and his immune system is stronger they will continue to be there.... poor boy. Keep up with the love and epsom salt soaks it helps to keep the swelling down

Nooo, I sure hope not!!! :eek: On a positive note, I havent found any more mange spots and the ones he has dont seem to be getting bigger...When he stepped on my face tonight I noticed that the bottoms of his paws have become very soft again, just like when he was a baby :) They had gotten rough and scratch from walking on the pavement. So at least I'm doing something right LOL I hope this means his skin is getting healthier.

[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] I found what you were talking about and I'm going to look into it and read the reviews as well!

Zoey1974

Bully's Bikes and Books!
Jun 25, 2012
Lake Milton, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
Hope he gets better quick! [MENTION=5580]elearn[/MENTION] the nonchalant way you mentioned he stepped on your face and his feet were so soft had me cracking up!!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Since cysts are usually bacteria I would keep on with the douxo and maybe wash with hibiclenz that can be gotten at drug stores. It's stronger than the douxo but is like a soap so has to be washed off after applying. Then maybe a powder after to keep it dry. I use lotrimin as Sarah has yeast to. Good luck.

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I have seen the Hibeclenz in the store and recognized it had the same active ingredient as the duoxo so I will pick some up.

I think he might be getting another one on his opposite finger/paw. Everyday it's something new, poor guy. But he's just as happy as can be, I'm the one that's miserable LOL

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well not now but maybe when you get him better with the mange im wondering if you might look at his food as that can be a big cause of interdigital cysts. just a thought.

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I have not tried this yet, I am ordering some this week however because I read about it here last week, searched reviews online and spoke to a few people about it who swear it's great... You can even spray it right on the eyes. It is called vetericyn (sp?). It is a bacteria killer basically, and my personal belief is that interdigital cysts are caused by bacteria/fungus. Allergies usually cause the bacterial overgrowth along with paw licking. This stuff is supposed to kill it.

I have not tried it yet but it may be worth a shot!

@desertskybulldogs Thanks so much for telling me about this! I tried waiting a week to post the results. I've been using since last Friday, 1 week, on Herman's interdigital cyst. It was really mean and nasty looking, like it was inflamed or something. Just after one use, overnight, the redness disappeared! The next day, it looked like just pink skin and some swelling had gone down.

I used it all week and it never got so inflamed again (even the fur that had turned dark brown was beginning to lighten). The swelling continues to go down, but its still visible and still looks big like a 6th toe, but it's not as upsetting (to me) anymore. I apply it 3-4 times per day. Herman doesn't lick it, it doesn't really have a smell that makes him run away.

I do think it helped the IDC. I'm not saying it was the ultimate solution because Herman is also on anti-biotics for his mange. But just one application of this helped much more than everything I had tried. I'm finally able to examine the cyst because it's not so swollen. I also think because he's lost hair in that area of his paw it really sticks out.

The only issue is that today I noticed it was slightly irritated and there were some red spots - could have been because he was out in the grass. Then vet also scraped it today, so it's a little red now.

He had some bumps on his ears, I put this stuff on - and poof they were gone the next day.

Like I said, it's not some miracle product but it is effective and safe.

I got the hydrogel version of it.

Last edited:

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
Yay, glad you all are using this. It's not doing wonders for Mr D, but it is helping and it really but it seems like an awesome product. I have the spray, so should try the gel I am thinking!

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
[MENTION=4447]bulliemommi[/MENTION] I love this stuff. The other day the cyst looked a little irritated, small red spots. I put this stuff on and the redness went away almost immediately. It's helped so much, the cyst is still a little puffy, and probably looks bigger because there is no hair on it :(

Herman had been scratching his ear, all along I thought it was inside the ear, but today I saw there is some sore right in front of it - plus from scratching he managed to scratch the inside of his ear as well. I immediately put this stuff on it, the bleeding inside his ear stopped right away and looks like whatever the sore is on the outside has started healing, or at least looks less irritated.

The gel is thicker and stays in place pretty good.

rblanshan

Sep 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Eva
I treated an interdigital cyst with Chlorhexidine. Mal-A-Ket has some great products that aid/prevent fungus/yeast that grows between the paws, wrinkles & ears. I always have the shampoo, ear flush & wipes on hand and use the wipes regularly, even if there is no problem...but as a preventative. I think they work much better then baby wipes because they dry quickly. I used the wipes on the cyst twice a day. I also started giving some plain yogurt daily. You can put it in a kong, or on top of their food. Teaspoon for a puppy, Tablespoon for an adult. Since your dog is on antibiotics, I would do a tablespoon. Cysts, paw licking, ect are all a sign of yeast. The yogurt helps keep yeast under control...or at least that's the theory and I have good results with it.

Members online

No members online now.