Help Needed! Should I massage Cherry Eye back in

BIJAH

May 28, 2012
San Jose CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ari Gold
My Ari has cherry eye on his right eye and I am trying to avoid surgery. My vet has prescribed my with some Neo ointment that I apply 3x a day. His cherry eye has come and gone randomly but has not gone back in longer than 2 hours. I read that some of you have had success with massaging it back in. I am not experienced at all. I've watched youtube videos and read plenty. Should I attempt it? Can there be major consequences if done improperly?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Not sure on how since i never did it myself with Miilas. The vet did show me how to tuck it back in and it looked easy (course everything they do does) but hers would pop right back out on its own anyhow. It too wasn't out all the time but when it popped out there was no putting it away. Lol if you r worried you can always go back to the vet and have them show you how.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i know of one here who has done this ill tag her. [MENTION=4246]ChanelnBrutus[/MENTION] and im sure there are others. hang on someone will be along soon im sure.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Hey there! I did massage Brutus's both times it popped out. Thankfully it's been 8 mnths since they popped out. This is something you have to be careful to do.

Wash your hands good and dry. Close his eye and use your thumb to massage the cherry you want to massage clockwise for about a min then use a warm compress and put on his eye. You may new to repeat this. I would massage right on the cherry buldge. Let me know if you need anything else :)

I have pictures that I can upload when I get to my computer :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so that explains my grammar :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
There is a pretty good video on youtube one how to do it. So give it a try. I've never tried it myself because none of mine have it, thank goodness, but it doesn't look hard.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

While cherry eye is part of owning a Bulldog, it still is rather rare. In the 6 years that we have owned Bulldogs, only our most recent puppy has the problem.

Our new King Bleu (blue boy from Hungary) started having this problem after only about 2 weeks when we got him. He was 10 weeks old when we got him. We researched how to do this and then tried it. At first it was very scary. Pushing onto the eye area was scary. We were able to get the cherry eye back in. It popped out a few times a week, but each time we were able to get it back in. What we had researched was that it was a muscle and if the area could be trained over time, then the muscle would grow and build up the ability to hold it in place.

The problem was actually getting better....until: we went away on vacation and hired a full time pet sitter to stay at the house 24x7. She was experienced with animals and understood how to do the cherry eye fix. She demonstrated that she was able to get the bulge back in when it popped out. We left, we had fun.

When we returned she informed us that she had not been able to successfully get it back in on the first day and so it had been like that for 8 days.

So while part of this post is to encourage you to at least attempt and try to help the issue first rather than only considering surgery.

Now...as Paul Harvey would say; "Now, for the REST of the story!" (No other story telling as good as Paul Harvey).

We returned and found Bleu with 2 bulging eyes. I went to the vet, got the drops and we tried for a few more days. No success. We arranged for surgery. Our vet does the laser surgery rather than the normal string and tuck. The laser is less evasive, less bleeding and much quicker recovery time. His eye's looked great from the very first day and it has been 5 weeks so far. No problems.

Good Day~

pinkerbell81

Jul 20, 2012
Rocklin, CA (Norcal)
Bulldog(s) Names
Chancho
Aww I'm sorry to hear about Ari! Our Chancho's cherry eye came back. I massaged a couple times at first but after a week or so it came back. We decided to move forward with the tuck surgery. Today was the big day! I was soooo nervous for him but everything seems to be good so far. It's a bit swollen and he's trying to get used to wearing the e-collar. I will keep you posted on how everything goes.

I am glad I tried the massage method but it seems that there are just some cases where a little more is needed.

OP
BIJAH

BIJAH

May 28, 2012
San Jose CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ari Gold
Yeah, his other eye's cherry popped out also so I also decided to go the tuck surgery. But the price is quite steep at 1000-1500 so I need to front that money first. yikes. thanks for the update.

Aww I'm sorry to hear about Ari! Our Chancho's cherry eye came back. I massaged a couple times at first but after a week or so it came back. We decided to move forward with the tuck surgery. Today was the big day! I was soooo nervous for him but everything seems to be good so far. It's a bit swollen and he's trying to get used to wearing the e-collar. I will keep you posted on how everything goes.

I am glad I tried the massage method but it seems that there are just some cases where a little more is needed.

pinkerbell81

Jul 20, 2012
Rocklin, CA (Norcal)
Bulldog(s) Names
Chancho
I was hoping if he was going to get cherry eye that it would pop out before his surgery. It didn't so hopefully it doesn't pop up in the future. Yea I called around to a few vets to see what the cost was in our area. We stayed with our vet office is in Folsom CA who is known for their bulldog expertise. This one was actually a lower cost at $700 compared to the other vets who were around $1000 to $1200. I hope all goes well with little Ari. Keep us updated!

Yeah, his other eye's cherry popped out also so I also decided to go the tuck surgery. But the price is quite steep at 1000-1500 so I need to front that money first. yikes. thanks for the update.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online