General Question Kennel Cough Vaccination

LoveMyBully82

Aug 30, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
Hi Everyone! I have a question for you. The last time Jackson received his kennel cough vaccination he actually got kennel cough within the next day or so. He was really sick for a little while and I was a mess :cry:! I hated to see my baby not feeling well, especially with him coughing, being lethargic, not eating, etc... So, he is now due for another kennel cough vaccination. What do you guys think? Should he get another vaccination or not? It makes me nervous to think that this thing is supposed to help him, yet he got the very ailment it was supposed to prevent. He hadn't even been around other dogs at the time, so we have no clue how he got sick...unless of course it was from the vaccination itself. Let me know what you guys would do!

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
I don't get Bruin & Lilly vaccinated for Kennel Cough. Of course, I don't board either, if you board then I think most places (if not all) require you to have a kennel cough. It would absolutely make me nervous too and I wouldn't do it (but that's only an opinion coming from someone who doesn't do it anyways, so not sure how helpful my opinion is) :D

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
It was previously dislosed and discussed here that the kennel cough vaccination doesn't protect against all the strains. You can think of it as the human flu and cold, there's just so many types out there that a single vaccination won't work for all.

Since Jackson had a previous reaction, I'd skip it. It's not really necessary unless it's required for boarding, imo. If you do choose to vaccinate, make sure it's the needle version and not the nose spray. I've heard several bullies get pneumonia from the spray version.

OP
LoveMyBully82

LoveMyBully82

Aug 30, 2011
Thanks so much. And he actually did get the nose spray version! Never again! He won't be boarded anywhere anytime soon (or ever hopefully) since we have quite a few friends who are able to keep him when we go away. Thanks for the advice!

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

The Bordetella "Kennel Cough" vaccination takes time to become effective. If you are planning on boarding, 4 days is needed to allow time to provide coverage.
The injectable is preferred to dogs that do not allow handling the muzzle/nose area. The nasal dose is preferred since the vaccine goes right to where the problem would occur. The injectable has to travel the entire blood system to end up in the correct area.

AS was listed, if the dog already has been exposed to the problem, the kennel cough will still happen. "Because it is common for Bordetella to be accompanied by at least one other infectious agent (such as one of the viruses listed below), “Kennel Cough” is actually a complex of infections, rather than infection by one agent."

The kennel cough vaccination last for generally 12 months, but many boarding kennels vaccination within 6 months.

When I have to board, I use the nasal version. When I do not have to board, I do not give the booster shots.

Good Day~

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
We had the same experience with the nasal spray version. The vet opted for that (it's fine, he said) because he said the protective benefits kick in sooner, and we needed to board our girl last minute. sure enough, 6 days later she was wheezing and snotty and we were horrified and sad. Stil don't know if she picked up a strain of it at the boarder or the spray caused it. Vet thought it was the latter.

If you don't have any possible plans to board, skip it for sure. We have alternative plans now in case of emergency boarding (we interviewed an experienced dog sitter who can stay 24 hours at our house)…

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
jameson and titan get the shot every 6 months because it is required for them to play at camp bowwow...but just like everyone says it's not 100%. ours still have gotten colds from other dogs even with being vaccinated...it is the risk we go through with letting our dogs socialize so much...there are 100's of strains of kennel cough...nothing is guarenteed

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Did your baby get the actual vaccine last time or was it the nasal dose? My pup was given the nasal type because he was taking puppy classes and was around other dogs. The nasal meds are supposed to take effect quicker. Well, 2 days later he was really sick! Nasty green snotty nose, congestion, feeling bad, etc.. but not coughing. At first the vet thought he had kennel cough and just hadn't gotten his vacccine soon enough. But since there was no cough, he said it was an upper respiratory infection, probably viral that he picked up from another pup in class. Since none of the other pups had been sick (and thanks to some EBN feedback) I had concluded that the medicine itself, being put into the nasal cavity, was the cause of the infection. When I asked the vet the likelihood, he did say that it was a possibility....so next Kennel Cough will be an injection...no more nose meds - no, no, no.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Palm Beach County Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
I did a lot of research online before getting my pup and I noticed on several breeders websites it had tons of info on the breed. One man went on to say NEVER give an ebd pup the nasal bordatella until he is at least 4 months old or you will have your baby in the intensive care ward of your vet and the cost's can amount to $1,500 or more. That alone scared me enough to start to check into this and sure enough another person who I seek advice from online who is with the BCA and a breeder over in Tampa told me her vet says the bordatella vacine doesn't work when injected IM. Only is effective when given nasal but a pup should be 4 months before his system can handle it. Well with my pup I had the choice ofcourse and I chose to go with the injection.. He is 4 months now and I do not know if I should go back in 6 months and ask for the nasal or not.. Whole thing sounds scary to me.. Hero

OP
LoveMyBully82

LoveMyBully82

Aug 30, 2011
@Corlando465 - I just realized, he actually has had the vaccination twice. The first time it was an injection, and the second time was the nasal method. I'm just going to stay away from the vaccination unless something extreme happens and I just HAVE to board him.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
WE chose not to do the kennel cough .... it's a bit like the human flu jab and will only protect against a few strains. We don't board so we've always skipped it.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
So overall do you recommend doing the injection if the dog is going to be boarded? We are boarding Bacon for a few days in the beginning of October, he will be 9 months old at the time but after reading this the nasal kind sounds bad no matter how old they are. Is it worth doing the injection if you have enough lead time or should I not do anything and keep my fingers crossed?

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Most boarding locations require that they have the vaccine or they won't keep them. My other dog (not a bulldog) always had the injection with no issues and never had kennel cough. I will do they injection next time.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
So overall do you recommend doing the injection if the dog is going to be boarded? We are boarding Bacon for a few days in the beginning of October, he will be 9 months old at the time but after reading this the nasal kind sounds bad no matter how old they are. Is it worth doing the injection if you have enough lead time or should I not do anything and keep my fingers crossed?

Hello,

You will need to check with the kennel in advance. My opinion is that any kennel that does NOT require the vaccination should be avoided. That way all of the dogs at the kennel HAVE had the vaccine. Yes, there is still a chance on getting something, except if something is caught it will be less of an issue than if not covered.

If you are NOT boarding, then most will say to avoid. Only if necessary.

Good Day~

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.