sugarsmom

Jul 25, 2012
Kearny, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sugar and Biscuit
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if you guys could give me some pointers on what to do with my dogs itchy and irritated skin. I've taken her to the vet and she was put on medication (Hexadene Shampoo and Cephalexin 500mg pills). While it appears to help clear up her skin while she was on it, the pills ran out and her skin is back irritated again. I've changed her food to one that is free of corn wheat and soy, but still no luck. I've attached some pictures. Looking forward to your recommendations.

photo-1.jpgphoto.jpg

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
**bump**

The first question that someone here will ask is "What are you feeding your pup?" Feeding a really good food (see food ratings here in the Nutrition threads) can go a long way toward resolving skin issues.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon got a very similar rash last week and we were able to make it go away with a few days of benedryl. We are in north Jersey too so I wonder if something in the air could have set off their allergies? Perhaps ragweed I know it is that time of year and it was chilly enough last week to make is start going.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Bacon got a very similar rash last week and we were able to make it go away with a few days of benedryl. We are in north Jersey too so I wonder if something in the air could have set off their allergies? Perhaps ragweed I know it is that time of year and it was chilly enough last week to make is start going.

Brutus had the same thing on his back wasnt red though or wet. Just bumps so we went to the vet and got Maloseb wash and 750cephlaxn also stated it was staph and need to boost immune systme with raw eggs, yogurt, fish oil, or salmon oil. Not all together but these are good immune boosters.

[MENTION=5518]sugarsmom[/MENTION] What are you feeding? It could be enviromental for sure but usually food is a culprit. Right now I would give him extra probitoic to boose his immune system. (yogurt,fish oil, salmon oil, raw eggs - others I caant think of) This looks like what Brutus had...She said it was staph from his hives :( caused by something he is allergic to...It happend with hives when he went to the park so I am sure it was enviromental that started it. Our vet gave us 750 Cephalxin and Maloseb wash 2x a week for 2 weeks. Its already gone but we need to finish the 2 weeks.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

There are SO MANY causes to Bullie skin problems.

Yes, food causes many of them.
However, allergic reactions ALSO happen from environmental contact as well such as; wool, lamb, chicken (meal or parts), grain and some Bullies even have sensitivity to plastic. Eliminating all of the known issues is a slow process but a allergic test and the vet can point out which one's in a single test.

Besides food, Bullies also have known reactions to allergies, pollens and grass as well.

In addition there are the medical issues such as mite (and yes...ALL dogs have mite. Some just are not able to control the outbreak). A skin scrapping can tell if the issue is from mites or in your case staph. Treatment with both prescription and herbal and non-medicinal methods all work together.

Relapses can happen. Do fret, this too shall pass.

Listen to vet advice, read posts, get second opinions...you decide !

Good Day~

OP
S

sugarsmom

Jul 25, 2012
Kearny, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sugar and Biscuit
Thanks for your responses....We are feeding sugar Trader Joe's Wholesome and Natural dry kibble....it is wheat, corn and soy free, but contains chicken meal. We also mix it w/ TJ's canned food. We recently switched to this from Iams. We do walk her in a grassy area and she loves to stretch out and lay in the grass, so this could be the causing the irritation. I forgot to mention, but we've been giving her benadryl for the past couple of 2 days, so maybe that will also help. She also has an issue with eating everything...she's been chewing on walls, crown molding, eats leaves and grass, so it could be anything that's causing it.

[MENTION=4688]Baconator[/MENTION] I just love the name Bacon...how cute!

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for your responses....We are feeding sugar Trader Joe's Wholesome and Natural dry kibble....it is wheat, corn and soy free, but contains chicken meal. We also mix it w/ TJ's canned food. We recently switched to this from Iams. We do walk her in a grassy area and she loves to stretch out and lay in the grass, so this could be the causing the irritation. I forgot to mention, but we've been giving her benadryl for the past couple of 2 days, so maybe that will also help. She also has an issue with eating everything...she's been chewing on walls, crown molding, eats leaves and grass, so it could be anything that's causing it.

[MENTION=4688]Baconator[/MENTION] I just love the name Bacon...how cute!

When we were trying to find a better food for Brutus we used the food rating list to give us a guideline Here is the link: http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/content.php?r=219-Dog-Food-Ratings

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
We did the same, even after we switched Bacon to Taste of the Wild we still had some paw chewing, loose stool, and eye stains. Now that we are on Fromm all of that is gone too, just a healthy happy growing little tank.

OP
S

sugarsmom

Jul 25, 2012
Kearny, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sugar and Biscuit
[MENTION=4688]Baconator[/MENTION], do you have a good vet recommendation for your bully in Northern NJ?

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
@elearn is in North Jersey as well, where do you take your bully?

I take him to Dumont Animal hospital. [MENTION=5518]sugarsmom[/MENTION] you can PM me for more info if you like.

But I did notice some red rash on Herman's belly the past couple of week. He usually gets a little red rash from the lawn only on the lower part of his tummy, but this time it persists. It doesnt seem to itch though.

It definitely could be something in North Jersey going on.

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I've stopped all chicken and chicken products, and have Maximus on a lamb kibble and also a lamb raw diet (Nature's Variety). If I don't see an improvement on his "red face and wrinkles", I'll move on to another form of food. He had Allergy testing done, and everything came back negative, and I'm having a rough time keeping his skin issues resolved.

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
We just found an amazing bully vet in Staten Island. I am in Union and it took me about 15 mins to get there and they are amazing :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so that explains my grammar :)

Most Reactions