General Question Any tips for giving Ivermectin?

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I have to give Herman Ivermectin liquid for his demodex. The label doesn't say if I can give it with food, but it also doesn't say not to! The amounts right now are so small that I want to make sure its OK to hide it in food or treat?

I was thinking maybe soaking a piece of his kibble or liver treat with it?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i give sarah liquid ivermectin for her heartworm treatment but mine comes in a syringe and i squirt it in her mouth. i dont give her any food or anything with it just a squirt in the mouth. didnt the vet tell you anything about how to give it. i think i asked about putting it on kibble but since i just squirt it in her mouth i dont have to put it on anything. i hope he gets better.

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
[MENTION=5580]elearn[/MENTION] .... When Bo was on Ivermectin, we drew it up in a syringe, had to hold his mouth open and just squirt in. It seemed to taste so bad, he wouldn't take any other way. When we soaked something in it, he would bat it away with his paws, lol. Hope your baby gets better soon.

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Thanks everyone.

I squirted it in his mouth today without much issue (some spitting was involved), and followed it up quickly with his favorite cheese. But I don't see that trick working much longer. :hissycry: So I will try soaking something like bread with it like @KelseyandAtticus suggested.

lisastrathern

Nov 9, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
Guinny is on weekly ivermectin for the same issue at the moment. The first day I tried what the vet had showed me so simply at the surgery - squirting the syringe into his mouth, well you have to catch the little rat first, after 20 minutes of chasing and wrestling him to the ground I thought I had won and squirted it into his mouth only for him to wait ten secs before he spat it all back at me!! After much trial and error he now gets two perfectly grape sized cream cheese balls which contain the med soaked into two little bits of bread. None can seep onto the sides or he will run a mile, and the nugget can't be big enough to chew either or he gets the taste and it gets spat back at me:) stubborn....

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
@KelseyandAtticus i tried soaking in bread covered with peanut butter.... but i didnt cover it enough and he's never had bread before. so he spit out the bread and then tasted it and kept spitting it out... funny thing is he kept trying to eat the bread pieces, but with every bite made the yuck face LOL

[MENTION=3660]lisastrathern[/MENTION] Herman didnt spit it out at me, but him being so curious opened his mouth to eat the syringe and he tasted and actually had the YUCK face. but i shoved a piece of cheese in his mouth while he was making the face. but that was for the 0.2m dose. last night i put it on 1/4 cup of his food mixed with yogurt and pumpkin - he gobbled it up, but left one piece and when i tried to give him the last piece, he ran and from the bowl
:confused::confused: i think i'm going to have to try the cheese balls. but 1mm is a lot so those will be some big cheese balls LOL I suspect he will react the same way as Guinny!

KelseyandAtticus

Aug 8, 2012
Athens, West Virginia, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Atticus
Atty has never had bread before either but I gave him a piece without medicine the night before so he would get used to the taste without the medicine and get excited for a treat the next day... Maybe you could try that with whatever you try next

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.