Help Needed! Yet another skin issue

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Gypsy is having a skin issue now. Her skin is bright pink and it has been progressing since yesterday. She scratched a part of her head near her ear to bleeding and there is a spot on her neck that doesn't have all of it's hair from repeated scrapings with the demodex issue. I don't expect that thing will ever grow hair but now, it has a section that looks SUPER red. Almost like it is bleeding. She can't have scratched it. There is no way she could reach it.

Now this is where the problem lies. We are in the midst of a flea issue. They have been on Trifexis all summer but my yard is infested and the lawn guys aren't going to show up until Monday to take care of it. I have sprayed the house and yesterday morning I gave them a FLEA BATH with a puppy formula. I am also in the process of changing her food to NVI beef and lamb because she wasn't looking as good as I wanted. Now, is it the FOOD (we are half way through transition) or the FLEA SHAMPOO????

So what I think I will do is bathe her in her regular shampoo then put her on bland diet for a week. Then what???

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sounds like a hot spot, yes? If so I would lean toward the food. Pics please?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Well, bleepedy bleep bleep bleep!!!!!!

Ok, I thought so, but I didn't want to believe it. It looks different than the ones that Gator got. Should I just keep it dry and put animax on it? Oh, and change the food immediately of course.

Here are a few pics. They look wet because I had already put the animax on just in case. [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]

august242012010.jpg

august242012011.jpg

Last edited:
OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]

Also, where do I go from here? Is it beef or lamb???? ACK! We were on beef frittata a looooong time ago but that is about the same time the demodex came up and she was having skin issues so I have no idea if that is related or what.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well i would do the bland diet and see if that helps and what food was she on before you switched to nvi?

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
well i would do the bland diet and see if that helps and what food was she on before you switched to nvi?

Natural Balance LID Venison. I was switching because of her tear stains. I know they are mostly environmental (they went almost all the way away in Florida) but I thought it might help. Plus Gator had a tiny bit of yeast on his back feet.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Natural Balance LID Venison. I was switching because of her tear stains. I know they are mostly environmental (they went almost all the way away in Florida) but I thought it might help. Plus Gator had a tiny bit of yeast on his back feet.
ok if she was ok on that food then you can either do the bland diet till we find something else or put her back on that till then. if gator is doing good on the nvi leave him be for now. can you pm me with a list of what she has eaten and the outcome. helps me see whats next.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yep it looks like a hot spot... I would go bland then back on the venison for a bit. Then after a few weeks you could try. Curious as to why you did not try the limited ingredient lamb vs. Beef and lamb? I would be curious if it's the beef or the lamb that's doing the bad deed. Have you gotten an allergy panel done I could've sworn you did? Maybe I am going :loco:?

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Yep it looks like a hot spot... I would go bland then back on the venison for a bit. Then after a few weeks you could try. Curious as to why you did not try the limited ingredient lamb vs. Beef and lamb? I would be curious if it's the beef or the lamb that's doing the bad deed. Have you gotten an allergy panel done I could've sworn you did? Maybe I am going :loco:?

They were out of the LID Lamb, which is what I went in for. They are the only store in the area that carries the kibble at all and I was at the perfect point of the previous food to start a transition so thought I would give it a go.

Do you think that I should try turkey? I am not sure if she has an issue with chicken as she has never really had any other than RAW. I guess a question is that do dogs with chicken issues tend to have problems with all poultry (duck and turkey) or if it is usually just chicken.....

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh, and I think it is the beef. The only other kibble she has been on is the Natural Balance and then Fromm Beef Frittata when she was younger and that is right when she got the demodex and had other skin issues. I didn't connect it at the time, but now I am thinking it is related. I may get her cleared up and try the lamb, but I am not sure. Trying to find something without beef OR chicken is not easy! I have found a few choices, two of which are fish, and one which is turkey/duck. If I remember right, she did a fromm 4* fish formula for one bag and had some yeast issues between her toes....or maybe that was Gator....crud, that was a year ago. lol.

And now we are moving into the NUTRITION area! LOL Funny how their health issues are so related to their nutrition issues.

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
It is A LOT less red this morning and she is not scratching it. Gave her the venison that she has been on for months this morning for breakfast and put more of the animax on it. Just going to try to find a new food now.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It is A LOT less red this morning and she is not scratching it. Gave her the venison that she has been on for months this morning for breakfast and put more of the animax on it. Just going to try to find a new food now.

An idea, use the blog feature to track changes and trials, then you can have a date and such, record reactions, ect. It is easy to say you can remember when but it's great also to see seasonal issues too.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.