URGENT!!! Bernard's skin

BernardTheBully

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bernard
This is my first thread post ever so i'll brief you a bit before I ask my question!

Bernard is 2 years old and he is a huge part of our family. He has always had a little bit of a skin problem but these last 2 or 3 weeks it has been horrible! We took him to the vet, changed his dog food and have been given special wipes for his skin folds and paws/legs but he just keeps itching and scratching at his paws and legs, to the point where they are bleeding. We wake up every morning and have about 6 or so spots of blood on the carpet because he is itching them so bad. He is also on benadryl. Anyone else having this same problem with their bully? Any suggestions or tips to help get it under control?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome: sounds like you baby has a food allergy. What are you feeding him? Have you thought of having a full blood screen allergy test done to get an idea of what is causing his issues?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
maybe you could do a beef and rice diet and see if that helps. get an allergy test it will save you time and trouble to find out what is causing this. you can try zyrtec maybe and see if that helps better than benadryl. might want to take another trip to the vet for maybe some prednisone. i dont like to use it but if hes scratching himself bloody might be worth it for short term to get him straightened out. when you changed his food did his symptoms get worse? if so then that food is not for him.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
How about fleas? If he is on an oral med, the fleas actually have to bite before they die so he could just be carrying them in each time he goes out to potty.

I would also be concerned about a food allergy. Especially since he has had skin issues for a long time. What is he eating now? What foods have you tried in the past?

OP
B

BernardTheBully

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bernard
We just switched his food a couple weeks ago because the Vet thought maybe he was allergic to the food we were giving him before. The vet said it would take up to 4 weeks for any noticable change. However, we asked about an allergy test for dogs and she said there wasnt one, so what information do you have on an allergy test for animals? Thanks for your help.

OP
B

BernardTheBully

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bernard
He used to eat Royal Canine, the bulldog kind and just a few weeks ago we switched to Wellness fish and sweet potato because the vet thought he might be allergic to something in the Royal Canine food.

OP
B

BernardTheBully

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bernard
We have an appt for him to see a pet dermatologist on Thursday, thank you!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.