URGENT!!! Emma's off to the vet this morning!

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
In itself, Guardia doesn't induce vomiting but it can be a side effect from all the stomach issues, etc. When Denali had it, she would vomit, but she is a natural puker whenever her stomach is bothering her.

angelIV

Aug 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
philly
hope everything will be ok, im new on eb, but if its just like humans i think the metronidazole (flagyl), will cover gardia lamblia.

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
[MENTION=5748]angelIV[/MENTION] You talk like a nurse. I like that!!

[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] how the heck did I just see this!! I am so sorry. My thoughts are with my little family member!! I will be watching for results

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
It is good that there isn't a blockage. I hope they can figure out what is going on. It is so hard sometimes with dogs (cuz, you know...they can't talk lol). PLEASE keep us posted on how she is doing!

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
I hope everything is ok for Emma, atleast it's not a blockage hopefully just irritation of some sort and a easy fix. Good Luck!

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
She's good. She has Clostridial overgrowth, a non-specific vomiting diarrehea. I have some special instructions for a bland diet - will post up later. :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Had to go to my buddy google! I did not find much in details yet but I will look more later. My poor baby girl. I am so upset for you both, but at least you know what it is. But how did she get it? Is it a bad bacteria? Is it contagious?

Sounds almost as bad as the Giardia.... looks like probiotics/prebiotics will help here. Do you give her any additional? Earthborn is great but I do not like that they do not put beneficial bacteria in the guaranteed analysis. I am feeding Earthborn too and make sure I add some yogurt as well.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] ... got htis from Petmd -- looks like you may be right, she got it from eating something up at the lake.

Clostridial Enterotoxicosis in Dogs

Clostridial enterotoxicosis is an intestinal syndrome brought on by abnormally high levels of Clostridium perfringens bacterium, a bacteria found commonly inhabiting decaying vegetation and marine sediment. It can also be acquired from raw or improperly cooked meats and poultry, and meats that have been left out in the open. There is also evidence that dogs can acquire this infection from being with other dogs, such as when boarded at a kennel.

Generally, the implications of the clostridial enterotoxicosis are limited to infections of the intestinal tract and do not progress to systemic disease conditions. Symptoms typically last a week in acute cases and include diarrhea, abdominal pain, and nausea. Long-term (chronic) cases of clostridial enterotoxicosis, meanwhile, involve recurrences of diarrhea, which may repeat every two to four weeks, and may continue for months to years. In fact, clostridial enterotoxicosis in dogs is suspected to occur in up to 20 percent of large bowel diarrhea cases.

Although it is more common in dogs as opposed to cats -- perhaps because dog spend more time amongst vegetation, or eating found meat (such as in refuse) -- most animals have antibodies that will effectively fight the bacteria and clear it from the body.

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
@JeannieCO ... got htis from Petmd -- looks like you may be right, she got it from eating something up at the lake.

Clostridial Enterotoxicosis in Dogs

Clostridial enterotoxicosis is an intestinal syndrome brought on by abnormally high levels of Clostridium perfringens bacterium, a bacteria found commonly inhabiting decaying vegetation and marine sediment. It can also be acquired from raw or improperly cooked meats and poultry, and meats that have been left out in the open. There is also evidence that dogs can acquire this infection from being with other dogs, such as when boarded at a kennel.

Generally, the implications of the clostridial enterotoxicosis are limited to infections of the intestinal tract and do not progress to systemic disease conditions. Symptoms typically last a week in acute cases and include diarrhea, abdominal pain, and nausea. Long-term (chronic) cases of clostridial enterotoxicosis, meanwhile, involve recurrences of diarrhea, which may repeat every two to four weeks, and may continue for months to years. In fact, clostridial enterotoxicosis in dogs is suspected to occur in up to 20 percent of large bowel diarrhea cases.

Although it is more common in dogs as opposed to cats -- perhaps because dog spend more time amongst vegetation, or eating found meat (such as in refuse) -- most animals have antibodies that will effectively fight the bacteria and clear it from the body.

Thank Christine! I was just actually on the same page after spending the last 1/2 hour doing searches. I found this link at PetMed. The reason I suspected the lake was because as I started going back in time on how long she (and Wilson) have been vomiting off and on, it's since we started going to the lake this summer. We take Wilson and Emma to the exact same spot each time so they can swim (well so Emma can swim, ha!) so I started putting 1 + 1 together. My suspicions were right it looks like. When I dropped her off there was another dog in there that he owner was dropping off too (he kinda chuckled and said they just can't keep her out from drinking the river water).

You know on the raw meat, this is a campground and although we watch them like a hawk most the time, people toss food stuff on the ground. I would think just walking in something and then licking their paws that they could get this bacteria infection that way too (I often see steak bones thrown a distance from the campsite.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/digestive/c_dg_clostridial_enterotoxicosis?page=2#.UDgYiaN62So

I wanted to add that the inlet channel that we take them too is really down in water (about 20 feet since the beginning of the year. I'm assuming that that means more concentrated bacteria in the water?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online