Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Emma's off to the vet this morning!

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kain
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Emma's off to the vet this morning!

I hope everything is ok for Emma, atleast it's not a blockage hopefully just irritation of some sort and a easy fix. Good Luck!

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

She's good. She has Clostridial overgrowth, a non-specific vomiting diarrehea. I have some special instructions for a bland diet - will post up later.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Will - Killer of All Ninjas
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack Daniels
    Likes (Received)

Good to hear . You has us worried....
    -jack-jpg

Bulldog Vet in Training LaurenA's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rook
    Likes (Received)

Whew! Feel better soon Emma!

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Had to go to my buddy google! I did not find much in details yet but I will look more later. My poor baby girl. I am so upset for you both, but at least you know what it is. But how did she get it? Is it a bad bacteria? Is it contagious?

Sounds almost as bad as the Giardia.... looks like probiotics/prebiotics will help here. Do you give her any additional? Earthborn is great but I do not like that they do not put beneficial bacteria in the guaranteed analysis. I am feeding Earthborn too and make sure I add some yogurt as well.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieCO View Post
    She's good. She has Clostridial overgrowth, a non-specific vomiting diarrehea. I have some special instructions for a bland diet - will post up later.

Thanks mum
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

Poor baby. Sounds like she is well on her way to being on the mend!~

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

@JeannieCO ... got htis from Petmd -- looks like you may be right, she got it from eating something up at the lake.

Clostridial Enterotoxicosis in Dogs

Clostridial enterotoxicosis is an intestinal syndrome brought on by abnormally high levels of Clostridium perfringens bacterium, a bacteria found commonly inhabiting decaying vegetation and marine sediment. It can also be acquired from raw or improperly cooked meats and poultry, and meats that have been left out in the open. There is also evidence that dogs can acquire this infection from being with other dogs, such as when boarded at a kennel.

Generally, the implications of the clostridial enterotoxicosis are limited to infections of the intestinal tract and do not progress to systemic disease conditions. Symptoms typically last a week in acute cases and include diarrhea, abdominal pain, and nausea. Long-term (chronic) cases of clostridial enterotoxicosis, meanwhile, involve recurrences of diarrhea, which may repeat every two to four weeks, and may continue for months to years. In fact, clostridial enterotoxicosis in dogs is suspected to occur in up to 20 percent of large bowel diarrhea cases.

Although it is more common in dogs as opposed to cats -- perhaps because dog spend more time amongst vegetation, or eating found meat (such as in refuse) -- most animals have antibodies that will effectively fight the bacteria and clear it from the body.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    @JeannieCO ... got htis from Petmd -- looks like you may be right, she got it from eating something up at the lake.

Clostridial Enterotoxicosis in Dogs

Clostridial enterotoxicosis is an intestinal syndrome brought on by abnormally high levels of Clostridium perfringens bacterium, a bacteria found commonly inhabiting decaying vegetation and marine sediment. It can also be acquired from raw or improperly cooked meats and poultry, and meats that have been left out in the open. There is also evidence that dogs can acquire this infection from being with other dogs, such as when boarded at a kennel.

Generally, the implications of the clostridial enterotoxicosis are limited to infections of the intestinal tract and do not progress to systemic disease conditions. Symptoms typically last a week in acute cases and include diarrhea, abdominal pain, and nausea. Long-term (chronic) cases of clostridial enterotoxicosis, meanwhile, involve recurrences of diarrhea, which may repeat every two to four weeks, and may continue for months to years. In fact, clostridial enterotoxicosis in dogs is suspected to occur in up to 20 percent of large bowel diarrhea cases.

Although it is more common in dogs as opposed to cats -- perhaps because dog spend more time amongst vegetation, or eating found meat (such as in refuse) -- most animals have antibodies that will effectively fight the bacteria and clear it from the body.
    Thank Christine! I was just actually on the same page after spending the last 1/2 hour doing searches. I found this link at PetMed. The reason I suspected the lake was because as I started going back in time on how long she (and Wilson) have been vomiting off and on, it's since we started going to the lake this summer. We take Wilson and Emma to the exact same spot each time so they can swim (well so Emma can swim, ha!) so I started putting 1 + 1 together. My suspicions were right it looks like. When I dropped her off there was another dog in there that he owner was dropping off too (he kinda chuckled and said they just can't keep her out from drinking the river water).

You know on the raw meat, this is a campground and although we watch them like a hawk most the time, people toss food stuff on the ground. I would think just walking in something and then licking their paws that they could get this bacteria infection that way too (I often see steak bones thrown a distance from the campsite.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/...2#.UDgYiaN62So

I wanted to add that the inlet channel that we take them too is really down in water (about 20 feet since the beginning of the year. I'm assuming that that means more concentrated bacteria in the water?

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by agingermom View Post
    @angelIV You talk like a nurse. I like that!!

@JeannieCO how the heck did I just see this!! I am so sorry. My thoughts are with my little family member!! I will be watching for results
    Same way I miss threads my friends, not enough time to check them all out at times and then we miss a few here and there. Happens to all of us.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

That is such good news! Ruggles drinks river and/or creek water every day but only where it is moving pretty fast. Is Wilson going on a bland diet, too?

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Alice Kable View Post
    That is such good news! Ruggles drinks river and/or creek water every day but only where it is moving pretty fast. Is Wilson going on a bland diet, too?
    I'm going to recheck his stools in the morning. I saw one earlier this evening and it does have the slime casing on it but he's had that before. If his stools are solid then no I'll keep him on the kibble. He'd prefer the yumminess of the bland: Rice, poached chicken and cottage cheese.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads