Help Needed! Panic about hair loss (Advice Needed)

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Re: Panic about skin loss (Advice Needed)

Thanks for your input EVERYONE.

I did freak out enough to take Herman in today and it was indeed Demodex (thanks [MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION], I knew the right thing was happening when I saw the vet doing the skin scrape LOL). My regular doc wasnt in, so I was skeptical about this new lady after and her helper almost dropped my big baby (he's 43.5 pounds now!) and I wasn't too cool with that. I'm also not cool with the shaved patch on him that looks irritated right now.

Anyway, she didn't rule out ringworm which I thought was pretty alarmist of her, but she did the mite test first and it was positive, so she threw out the ringworm test (and didnt even charge me LOL). She did tell me about allergies and says he does seem to have mild allergies and just recommended Benadryl for that. He got a dip and I got Ivermectin and Clavamox for the demodex. Does this sound about right to you all?

So hopefully, with his change in food he'll be able to build back up his immune system. I'll keep an even closer eye out now, if possible on any changes I notice due to the food. If he would just itch or scratch or do something to complain, it would make it so much easier to know when something is wrong!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)

I am glad that you took him in! Good luck finding a good food for him. The treatment she gave you is what is usually used and should work fine. Since it is confirmed, I would go ahead and get him a salmon oil and a probiotic for to help him get rid of this mange.

Give him a hug from me!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Thanks for your input EVERYONE.

I did freak out enough to take Herman in today and it was indeed Demodex (thanks [MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION], I knew the right thing was happening when I saw the vet doing the skin scrape LOL). My regular doc wasnt in, so I was skeptical about this new lady after and her helper almost dropped my big baby (he's 43.5 pounds now!) and I wasn't too cool with that. I'm also not cool with the shaved patch on him that looks irritated right now.

Anyway, she didn't rule out ringworm which I thought was pretty alarmist of her, but she did the mite test first and it was positive, so she threw out the ringworm test (and didnt even charge me LOL). She did tell me about allergies and says he does seem to have mild allergies and just recommended Benadryl for that. He got a dip and I got Ivermectin and Clavamox for the demodex. Does this sound about right to you all?

So hopefully, with his change in food he'll be able to build back up his immune system. I'll keep an even closer eye out now, if possible on any changes I notice due to the food. If he would just itch or scratch or do something to complain, it would make it so much easier to know when something is wrong!

Oh I am so glad you took him in!!! I had a gut feeling it was a mange infestation! Which is what mites/demodex is. There is actually 4 different species (I think), demodex is the easiest to treat and most common.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman

Oh I am so glad you took him in!!! I had a gut feeling it was a mange infestation! Which is what mites/demodex is. There is actually 4 different species (I think), demodex is the easiest to treat and most common.

That's a relief! I'm glad I took him today as well, I just found another spot on him where he is losing hair, so I'm sure this could have gotten worse really fast...

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus

My Stig was diagnosed with demodex when he was about 6 months old, the vet said that it was a secondary reaction to his food allergies. Basically, his immune was compromised because he was eating something he was allergic to, so the mites took over his body. There's a few brands out there that's popular here, including Fromm, Avoderm and Natural Variety Instinct. Adding salmon oil and probiotics is great to continue too. G'luck! Welcome to the road of finding the best food for your handsome!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack

Did I really name my post "skin loss"? sorry if I alarmed anyone I am just panicking lol. Herman has hair loss, his skin is all accounted for :)

LOL, glad all his skin is accounted for. I fixed the title for you. :)

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
[MENTION=5580]elearn[/MENTION] I had a few problems with Earthborn and my bullies but I don't think the symptoms would pop up within days - it would likely be within months. That said, I've had a LOT of problems with allergies this spring and summer so if you want more info, check out this thread. The title is about cyclosprine, but the thread is filled with information I've learned about allergies in the past few months. Hope Herman is feeling better soon.

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
So, what's odd now is that Herman has no shedding at all (I'm not complaining by any means) LOL It either means the meds are working or he just needed a bath :) I also noticed that he's getting some nice super shiny hairs growing in his white fur (they glisten like crystals, I hope that's a good thing). But the odd part is that by yesterday, the shedding had really stopped. And he was really shedding snow at the vet! I had even bought one of those rubber glove things last night and didnt really need it by the time I got back.

[MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION], I'm so glad to hear that shedding/allergies wouldn't pop up in just a couple of days from using the Earthborn. He loves that stuff and I think it's helping. It is just all so much going on at the same time (new food, cyst, demodex, allergies, meds!!!) it's hard to tell what's helping and what's not. I'm going to read your information for sure.

Most Reactions