Help Needed! basic grooming

Dawnzi

Aug 23, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
after taking my OEBD to the vet, she has informed me that my bully needs basic groom (ie bath, nail trims, ear cleanings).. he is 1.5 years old and need it BAD. we have only had him a month and he is just starting to trust us... even though he is losing his trust for me because i am the meanie who puts medication in his ears. we didnt get him from a breeder or humane society.. we got him straight from previous owners. i tried to trim his nails, he snapped at me, i squirt water on him from the shower he jumps out of the shower and cowers in the corner. and the ears yea thats a daily project... in the one month we have had him he can tolerate me scooping water out of a bucket but just barely so i have yet to add soap... he is getting ripe and his fir now has a greasy feel to it. he will just tolerate a daily face wash and will not allow me to do near his eyes. any advise will be welcome. please keep in mind the vet believes he wasnt treated very well so we get to start from scratch.

PeterPanAndWendy

Jul 27, 2011
Lindsey, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pan Cake
We have a three minute bath system. We connect it to the bathtub spout, it holds soap that is released when we press a button, and we use a rubber brush while bathing, makes the process very easy. Pan HATES getting wet, so it normally involves me holding on to him like a hug and telling him that its okay - so we both end up smelling like wet dog... lol.

We never get his head wet while we bath him just to reduce the chance of ear infections - we just take a rag and wipe it down. I know others put cotton balls in the ear - but Pan will fight to the bitter end to get the cotton out of his ears.

You're still new to your bully, so it may take awhile for him to get acclimated. Just stay consistent. You may also find it easier to take him to the groomer, at least long enough for him to get use to the whole grooming process.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Personally, I would take him to a very experienced groomer. They can go through the process much quicker.

I have a girl that hates a bath. Once, she actually growled at me while I was washing her. So, I started having my daughter give her a piece of a treat every couple of minutes while I was bathing her. She got it pretty fast that bath=treats and now I don't have to give treats during the bath process, just at the beginning and at the end. Also, since it is warm, you might try giving a bath outside in a kiddie pool if he is afraid of the tub.

You are so lucky to have found him, and he is lucky to have you. With some patience and lots of love, I am sure he will be very comfortable and happy in your home! Thank you for opting for rescue!

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
This first time around, I'd take him to a good experienced groomer, as mentioned previously. Once you get all the necessities taken care of, then I'd start working with him daily. After every grooming ritual and even during some of the longer ones, I'd offer treats. This makes a good experience out of something not so good. As you said, you do not know what he has been through or if grooming and bathing was done with negative consequences. Just go slow and loving and eventually you will win his confidence and he will relax. You also may want to check out his food. After I switched my guy to Fromms Beef Frittata, he can go weeks (6+) without a bath and still isn't smelly or greasy. He is so lucky to have you now!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm going to ask [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION].. She works with a rescue and fosters. Kudos to you for stepping up and soon he will figure out you are not like his last home and relax.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
Might try putting some soap on a rag and wash him with a rag for now until he gets comfortable w u. Other option experienced groomer

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I have a girl that hates a bath. Once, she actually growled at me while I was washing her. So, I started having my daughter give her a piece of a treat every couple of minutes while I was bathing her. She got it pretty fast that bath=treats and now I don't have to give treats during the bath process, just at the beginning and at the end. Also, since it is warm, you might try giving a bath outside in a kiddie pool if he is afraid of the tub.

QUOTE]

Sorry it took so long for me to get here .... personally I like this idea. He needs to learn that bath time is not to be afraid of. Go slowly, talk reassuringly and give him lots of hugs. With all of mine I jabber like an idiot through the entire time when I bath them, talking to them in baby talk!! :weird:

I would consider a professional groomer ONLY if you have a personal knowledge of that paticular groomer. The last thing you need right now is it to become a bad experience. Maybe contact your local rescues and ask who they use ... can they give you a name of somebody who has worked with their more traumatic cases and can understand the need to go quietly, calmly and give him a sense of peace as he gets groomed.

Members online

No members online now.