URGENT!!! Vomiting, constant Stomach Spasms, Fatigue - HELP

OP
TobyGiant

TobyGiant

Aug 22, 2012
North Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Toby
Late to this, and you got me so worried with your first post! So great to hear that she's finally eating and drinking! You've got great advice from everyone. :yes:

Wondering if he still has phlegm. Did he ever recover fully it?

He vomited this morning (probably due to complete switch to new food, retracted now). He has spit up and vomited a little since then. He is still very playful and doing well otherwise. I just gave him about a 1/4 cup of beef and rice only (what was left over from yesterday) and within 15 minutes he spit it up but he has been chewing on his antler so not sure what happened there. He has kept down his food from this morning and afternoon.

I am going to do the rice and beef and gradually work in the Fromm Surf and Turf. Is it ok to use ground turkey/chicken instead of or in addition to the beef on the bland or should I stick with one meat the whole transition?

Thanks everyone!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
He vomited this morning (probably due to complete switch to new food, retracted now). He has spit up and vomited a little since then. He is still very playful and doing well otherwise. I just gave him about a 1/4 cup of beef and rice only (what was left over from yesterday) and within 15 minutes he spit it up but he has been chewing on his antler so not sure what happened there. He has kept down his food from this morning and afternoon.

I am going to do the rice and beef and gradually work in the Fromm Surf and Turf. Is it ok to use ground turkey/chicken instead of or in addition to the beef on the bland or should I stick with one meat the whole transition?

Thanks everyone!

Seeing he's so sensitive at the moment, I'd stay with the beef for now. Down the line when the transition is finished and he's feeling better and you just wanted to give him a break from the kibble, you can try giving him chicken and rice. At least if he has any reaction from it, then you'll know that it's the chicken.

OP
TobyGiant

TobyGiant

Aug 22, 2012
North Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Toby
Found that he vomited a softball size area of his food sometime last night. Ever since he got up this morning he has been spitting and vomiting up. My wife says about 14 times (little spots). Last night we only gave him rice and beef. Being that this is Saturday we likely will take him in to the vet. I found what I heard is a vet that knows Bulldogs (Humane Animal Hospital in Plano) so we are going to hopefully go there if we can get in.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Oh I hope you can get in. Seeing a vet who's very familiar with EBs is the best medicine for Toby right now. Having some blood work and fecal tests done will help ease your mind while diagnosing Toby's issue. I'd be sure to try to capture some pee and a stool for the vet, if you haven't already. The first pee/poo of the day is best -- but freshest is better with the poo. FYI.

Or was that TMI? LOL

Keep us posted.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Found that he vomited a softball size area of his food sometime last night. Ever since he got up this morning he has been spitting and vomiting up. My wife says about 14 times (little spots). Last night we only gave him rice and beef. Being that this is Saturday we likely will take him in to the vet. I found what I heard is a vet that knows Bulldogs (Humane Animal Hospital in Plano) so we are going to hopefully go there if we can get in.

Poor fellow..... good luck at the vet and keep us posted

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Oh I hope you can get in. Seeing a vet who's very familiar with EBs is the best medicine for Toby right now. Having some blood work and fecal tests done will help ease your mind while diagnosing Toby's issue. I'd be sure to try to capture some pee and a stool for the vet, if you haven't already. The first pee/poo of the day is best -- but freshest is better with the poo. FYI.

Or was that TMI? LOL Keep us posted.

You are becoming the :poo: guru of the site :laugh:

OP
TobyGiant

TobyGiant

Aug 22, 2012
North Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Toby

Additionally I found out that my daughter had given him an organic cranberry and peppermint biscotti treat and as I believe I mentioned earlier we had given him a mixture of bil-jac yesterday morning that we are completely stopping going forward. I am wondering if he just has an upset stomach since we (I don't understand us sometimes, guess it's his look that breaks us) give him something other than just the rice and beef. He took his chewable baytril this morning so he definitely wants to eat so we aren't on that path yet. I a haven't given him any food yet since he is still laying in his bed and also didn't want to get his stomach stirring around until his baytril is digested.

OP
TobyGiant

TobyGiant

Aug 22, 2012
North Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Toby

Or was that TMI? LOL

Keep us posted.

The other day when we took him in when he was not eating/drinking our vet took a stool sample and didn't see anything abnormal under the scope but didn't do any blood tests. Even if Toby seems better in a few I plan on taking him anyway since it is only a $39 vet visit (without any extras) so it would be nice to hear what the doc has to say (being a new vet and all). It's even more comforting that our vet suggests we try a vet that is familiar with bulldogs. We just wish he had a lot of experience with them (although he has a few as clients, just not tons of experience) since he is the best general vet we have ever had and doesn't gouge you on price. Not to get off subject but we had to put down our boxer about 3 months ago and over $100 cheaper than anywhere else. Just saying it will be tough to go to a new vet but it likely will be better for Toby.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I am just going to put this out there.....could he have eaten something he shouldn't? As in something he cannot digest?

OP
TobyGiant

TobyGiant

Aug 22, 2012
North Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Toby
I am just going to put this out there.....could he have eaten something he shouldn't? As in something he cannot digest?

If he did I wouldn't think it could be anything except maybe his Cowboys pillow I made him. He had started tearing up the foam a week or so ago, then I wrapped it in a sheet but yesterday morning he had gotten in to it again but there wasn't much of the foam missing. There was a lot of rice in his vomit this morning.

He is up and around now and seems fine. He went outside and peed and pooped. It was raining earlier and he didn't want to go out in it. It is still raining a little now but he is a lot happier than when he first woke up. We have an appointment at 10:00 CST so we are about to go. His poop was pretty soft. I'll keep yall posted.

OP
TobyGiant

TobyGiant

Aug 22, 2012
North Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Toby
Just got back from the new vet and he didn't like his breathing. He ran a CBC blood test and found 21,000 white count and took xrays and found that they weren't clear (black) but had a lot of white on the xray. He was very concerned and wanted to give him Gentacin and Pennicillin so I called my vet and he agreed that sounded good. The new vet is coming in to the closed office tomorrow to give Toby another shot of Gentacin. There was also a Dex phos injection which my vet said was a cortizone shot but not sure since it was hard to hear him on the phone with the spelling, guess it is an abbreviation. He also suggested 200mg Muscinex twice a day. We didn't really get in to the food and vomiting since he was mainly concerned about this issue. He said it could be allergies but typically dogs don't get allergies until they are over 1 yr old but he wouldn't rule it out. He also suggested "ID" which was some brand they sold there. It was something like ingestion diet or something, didn't get it since I have had issues with food already. He wasn't keen on the bland diet, he wanted him to get nutrients, etc. I assumed that adding a little Fromm to the beef and rice would be ok, not sure. I was leaning towards just the beef and rice since he vomited this morning a lot.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
aw sounds like the new vet is on it. i hope things get better for you and for toby. the id is probably hills science diet id which is not good food. you can always maybe give him a half a vitamin or something to get the nutrients he needs. lots of :hugs: from sarah and me. lots here use beef and rice as bullies dont do well with chicken as a rule. maybe a probiotic with all that antibiotics and stuff.

OP
TobyGiant

TobyGiant

Aug 22, 2012
North Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Toby
Toby seems to be doing better as far as congestion, I don't here him near as much so that is good, however, he is peeing constantly in the house. He has been hard to train but usually can hold it quite awhile so we don't have a lot of accidents if we are paying attention. He seems to be peeing every half hour or so, sometimes it seems sooner. I am assuming this has to do with the gentacin and/or pennicillin (or maybe the Dex phos, whatever that is).

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Probably so, some of those I don't know what it is, but if it's any type of steroid he will pee and drink tons.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
TobyGiant

TobyGiant

Aug 22, 2012
North Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Toby
Probably so, some of those I don't know what it is, but if it's any type of steroid he will pee and drink tons.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

According to my old vet the Dex phos is a cortisone shot although he spelled it different so I guess there is an abbreviation discrepancy. He has done great since then and is now sleeping like a baby. He seems to not get full on the rice and beef. I feed him what seems like twice as much and he is still looking for more. I think one or two more days and I will start introducing the Fromm if he isn't vomiting.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.